The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 15, 2001, 10:25 PM   #1
Robert the41MagFan

Sig will have internal locking devices for 2002

With the exception of the Sport models and the 210 series, all new Sig firearms will have the internal locking device for the 2002 model year. I'll have confirmation by early next week, along with any additions and changes to the line. Stay tuned............

Another one bites the dust!

Robert
Old November 15, 2001, 10:38 PM   #2
parabellum9x19

HKs alread have that on the USPs. I have a year 2000 model usp. A thin metal key comes with the usps so you can lock them. I just leave mine turned off. The gun companies are doing this for liability reasons.
Old November 15, 2001, 11:51 PM   #3
Kestrel

parabellum,

The USP45 has an internal locking device??!!! I was really wanting one, but sure don't want one with that device!

Where is the device located on the pistol?

I'm very dissapointed.

Thanks,
Steve
Old November 16, 2001, 02:41 AM   #4
tyme
Staff

The H&K USP lock is at the bottom rear of the mag well, it's a little circle with two holes. If they line up vertically (when held level), it is unlocked. I don't consider it a big deal, mine just stays unlocked.
Old November 16, 2001, 04:18 AM   #5
cuerno de chivo

Just another firearm with a built-in, non-removable lock :barf: that I will never buy.
Old November 16, 2001, 04:40 AM   #6
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Thank GOD, I got mine before the **** hit the FAN.
Proud owner of 2X West German manufactured and
assembled Sig-Sauer's; the P220A .45ACP and the
9m/m P228.

See Ya Later,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.
Old November 16, 2001, 05:25 AM   #7
GeoJelly

I'm sorry - but I have to strongly disagree with a couple of the previous posters. Since we're stuck with the safety devices anyway (first Taurus, then S&W and H&K, now SIG) - I tend to look at the positive side. I believe we can safely assume that SIG's locking device will be well thought out and tested - like Taurus's (but unlike H&K's with the bent hammer strut problem). So - then what are the potential benefits? How about locking your SIG when you leave it in the car at your workplace - so when some dirtbag steals your car they won't have instant access to a pistol & put you at risk of a lawsuit or worse. How about keeping it locked at home & carrying the key on your keyring plus one hidden near the SIG? The list could go on. The devices are becoming a fact of life. I, FWIW, would rather have a pistol that gives me the option of choosing whether or not to secure it. Like Tyme says - leave it unlocked if you please. I believe we're playing along with the anti-gunners when we refuse to buy these new handguns. Ok - so "we" drive Smith & Wesson out of business? When that happens, Sarah Brady will laugh in the Rolls Royce all the way to the country club.
Old November 16, 2001, 09:10 AM   #8
HK1

sig now?...well i will never buy another HK with that stupid lock system....ive always said I will play there devilsh game when the nazis can assure me the criminal will......bottom line is,,,people are stupid and some are more stupid then others
Old November 16, 2001, 09:16 AM   #9
Kestrel

I won't be buying that USP, now. I'm very dissapointed.

Steve
Old November 16, 2001, 09:20 AM   #10
coati

I have a Sig because they're bare bones and businesslike--no safeties except for my judgment and my brain.

Like any good weapon, I have to think to use it. Part of that thinking involves knowing what firing mode it's in, whether a round is chambered, whether a kid can get to it, and so on.

I think any manufacturer who freely wants to offer any sort of safety or dangly thing that someone wants to buy should be able to. Competition should extend to firearms as well as toothbrushes and cheese graters. But for the manufacturer to be pressured into adding a feature to avoid being run out of business is wrong.

And, for anyone who wants to compare gun locks to seat belts on cars, there's no comparison. Seat belts make safe cars safer. Unwanted gun locks can stand in the way of the inherent usefulness of a gun (which is supposed to make us safer, right?).
Old November 16, 2001, 09:34 AM   #11
Mark IV Series 80

The "KEY" for most any semi-auto is the magazine.

Take the magazine, remove the chambered round, and it can't be fired.

-Mk.IV
Old November 16, 2001, 09:47 AM   #12
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Greeting's coati,

You're both a scholar and a gentlemen. Your comment's were very well put. As you must
know, I'm a big advocate of Sig-Sauer firearms.
I too, think that the new design from Sig-Sauer
will be a well thought out origin; not a copy
of H&K, or any other manufacturer's design.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.
Old November 16, 2001, 10:06 AM   #13
Kestrel

Can the lockout device in the USP 45 be removed/replaced with other factory parts?

Thanks,
Steve
Old November 16, 2001, 10:08 AM   #14
Yowza

My Springfield 1911 already has one of these. I just don't use it, just like I don't use the cable lock that came with it, or the one that came with my Beretta. If there is a flaw in the design that causes the gun not to fire when it's supposed to, then I could understand the problem. But of the bad things I've read about Springfields, HKs, Tauruses, etc. I have yet to see this particular problem mentioned as even a possibility.

No big deal as far as I'm concerned. Now I am a bit annoyed about anyone caving in to the will of the lawyers and politicians, but as long as they're still producing a quality product I'll buy it (if I can scrape the money together, that is.)
Old November 16, 2001, 11:07 AM   #15
treeprof

Don't forget that Glock had a pistol with a similar locking device on display at the European equivalent of the SHOT Show this year. May be a harbinger of things to come.
Old November 16, 2001, 11:33 AM   #16
orlando5

Quote:

No big deal
It is a big deal because IMO it will have an impact on reliably. It is a useless feature that no one will use in the first place. You don't really know if it is lock or not and the keyhole is so small that it take some dexterity to get it in. God forbid if you’re under stress. If you’re going to lock your gun, do it with a trigger or cable lock. These “integrated locking system” is a joke and I will not by a firearm that has these useless feature in them. If the police or military do not want “integrated locking system” why should the public accept them.

Gun manufactures are a bunch of pansy.
Old November 16, 2001, 11:41 AM   #17
M1911

I've got an HK USPc with the lock. Frankly, it doesn't bother me at all. The lock is accessed inside of the magazine well. It's not something that can be accidentally applied. You use a special "key" to lock or unlock it. When I brought the gun home for the first time, I used the key to unlock it, tossed the key in the box and left it there. It's never locked itself or in anyway been obtrusive.

Just turn it off and ignore it. If that gives the gun makers some cover from lawsuits, it's fine with me.
The HK USPc is a fine gun, with or without the stupid lock.

M1911
Old November 16, 2001, 03:50 PM   #18
.357SIG

Steve, yes you can change out the part for one without the lock. The HK lock is not something that complicates the gun in any way. It is not "smart" technology or anything of the sort. The key is really the only thing that can engage/disengage the locking mechanism anyway. Once it is disengaged, throw out the key and it'll be exactly the same as if it wasn't there. If the lock ever broke, it would not affect functioning of the gun.
Old November 16, 2001, 04:00 PM   #19
Ahhnuld

Excellent points on both sides

I have 3 H&Ks and a Sig. I love all 3, and like some others in the forum, I used the key 1 time, which was to unlock the firearm. I use other methods to secure my firearms just as if the internal locks never existed. The locks do not hinder performance or pose a risk as a point of failure.
What S&W wants to do is create a mechanism that will become an inherent point of failure, such as using biometrics or a device that must be engaged or the weapon will not fire. This is one reason I am not crazy about the H&K P7 series. the cocking grip makes you change the way you would normally hold and position the firearm in your hand. This being said, if Sig follows a similar design like H&K, they will still have my business.

Now on the other hand, a primary reason I will never support S&W, is the fact that the only reason they agreed to move forward with a a ill conceived idea of false safety, was simply to pander to the people who wish to ultimately strip us of our 2nd ammedment rights. Aside from that, I think they make crap. If any other manufacturer follows this path, I will toss them to the side as well.
Old November 16, 2001, 05:11 PM   #20
jason10mm

What do these locks do? Do they bind up the hammer, disengage the trigger, prevent a magazine from being loaded? Is everyone using the same idea, or does each company have a lock that works differently? How unique is the key? IIRC, those suitcase locks are all opened by 3-4 different keys that a criminal could easily carry with them, is it the same with these gun locks? While I can't argue with the concept, the execution leaves me a bit nervous. I wonder if you could permanently disable these locks so there would never be an accidental engagement. Would that look bad in court? Is leaving a pistol unlocked just as liable as having the lock removed if there was a ND? Pistol locks open up a whole new attack route for the anti-gunners. I can see it now, "Man shot by UNLOCKED assault automatic revolver"!! Well, it just lets SIg and the others have a "classic" line of pistols without all those new-fangled devices LAter.
Old November 16, 2001, 05:15 PM   #21
orlando5

Quote:

If that gives the gun makers some cover from lawsuits
That’s what they think. If nothing else happen it will increase the lawsuits from trial lawyers

This system is bad for consumers and gun companies alike in a legal standpoint and this is the reason why.

With this system gun companies back themselves in a legal corner. If for any reason if this system fails the gun company will be liable. The primary purpose for this system is to prevent kids from blowing their heads off. This system will not prevent kids from blowing their heads off and the trial lawyers will have a field day with it.

Case in point:

Kid X comes into parent room. Pick up the gun and blow his head of thinking the gun was lock with the “integrated locking system”. You cannot rely on this system to protect your children. It is a flawed system that gives parents a sense of false safety. I would not be surprise to see a higher injury/death rate with gun that have this kind of system. A Cable lock is the best way IMO to lock a gun up. Just by looking at a gun with a cable lock running through it, one will know that: 1. there are no round in the chamber 2. there is no mag in the gun.

Case in point:

For some reason your “integrated locking system” gun was stolen from your house (or whatever location) and was use in a crime. The judge will ask you why your gun was not lock with the “integrated locking system”. Because the locking system is part of the gun and the trial lawyers will rape you for this. They will get as much money out of you as they can even if it’s not your fault that the gun was stolen. They are not going to sue a criminal that does not have a penny in his name, they going to sue you.
Old November 16, 2001, 06:44 PM   #22
QB

I was told that the new Glocks were indeed going to have some sort of locking system also.
Old November 16, 2001, 07:38 PM   #23
Indy_SIG

One step at a time......

The problem with locking devices, and trigger locks, and this, that and the other, is that many assume it will appease the gun-control crowd and save our gun rights.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

With each victory, the gun-control people will point to the consistent gun-related crime rate and decry that the measures that have been enacted aren't enough. They must take the next step to prevent all of these gun crimes. Eventually, after taking step after step after step, the gun-control advocates will finally say that they have tried and tried....nothing is working. The only answer left is to ban guns all toghether. After building their case, the liberal media will be able to help them achieve their ultimate goal.

IMHO, the only effective strategy is to fight them up front and prevent the tidal wave of momentum they will gain by constantly giving them what they want. Internal locks may seem harmless enough....in reality, it is just a step in a process that will eventually end gun rights for all of us. The only way to ever win is to resist at all costs and educate the middle-ground public to the fallacies of the arguments made by the gun-control people. We also must help the effort by electing people who will resist gun control legislation and the resulting multi-million dollar lawsuits against gun manufacturers (the real motivator behind the cowering of most manufacturers). An effective, Nationwide lobby...one that would actually do something (something different than the NRA), would also help greatly. We have several million potential members....politicians fear organized voters.

I always cringe when I read a post where someone says "...it doesn't bother me.....". That's exactly what they want. The thing you don't mind isn't the end...it's just a step.
Old November 16, 2001, 09:37 PM   #24
coati

Quote:
"Man shot by UNLOCKED assault automatic revolver"!!
All you pilots out there:

"Light plane crashes near airport; no FLIGHT PLAN filed."

Well said, Jason10mm.
Old November 16, 2001, 11:17 PM   #25
Mark IV Series 80

Don't forget that Glock had a pistol with a similar locking device on display at the European equivalent of the SHOT Show this year.

Here is a photo of that device - it's called the Glock Block:

http://phipada.com/Phillip/glockblock.JPG