The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 13, 2001, 10:36 PM   #1
Kirk Keller

Hawes Western Marshall in .44 Magnum

Has anyone ever heard of this weapon. I had one many years ago. It had a case hardened frame and rosewood grips. Quite a nice piece. I had to part with it due to financial hardships but have never lost the sentimental attachment. I'm interested in finding out as much as I can about it. I may even pursue reacquiring one.
Old December 14, 2001, 12:11 AM   #2
radom

That would be a J.P. Sauer and Son made gun imported from germany before they merged with Sig.
Old December 15, 2001, 01:14 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

IIRC, they didn't import them for too long and they are not very common. The prices are not high, running around $250 tops, and they are not bad guns. I hope you find one if you want it, but if you want a good SA .44, a Ruger would be better and more easily obtained.

Jim
Old December 15, 2001, 09:28 AM   #4
Quantrill

Hawes 44

KMK,
I have just the revolver you are talking about. No, it's not for sale. Seems like I bought it in 1967 ot thereabouts. I remember it coming by a local shipping company. The front sight was slightly askew so I had the gunsmith put on a new one and had the barrel cut down to 5.5". At the time, he (the gunsmith) pronounced the pistol "a solid sixgun". That designation always pleased me. Now-a-days, it does duty as my wife's cowboy pistol. Lots of luck finding one. Quantrill
Old December 16, 2001, 01:08 AM   #5
Kirk Keller

Everyone

Thanks for the input. I believe however that I will follow Mr. Keenan's advice. That Ruger Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger looks VERY nice.
Old May 8, 2011, 09:29 AM   #6
zetz88

awesome hand gun

I have owned a JP Sauer n Sohn/ Haws western Marshall in 44 Magnum since April 1976. After using it for a number of years I found it to be quite accurate and used it in competition. One time and one time only in the past 30 years I fired 6 rounds in one hole at an NRA competition with it. I would suggest a beginner could use this firearm in a learning competition. Or just out playing around.
Old May 8, 2011, 04:36 PM   #7
wncchester

Herter's sold the very good Hawes .44 and .357 mag revolvers for $47 under their own name as the "PowerMag" model in '67. That was cheep even at the time!

Last edited by wncchester; May 8, 2011 at 05:12 PM.