The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 19, 2002, 12:50 PM   #1
papercut

Medal of Honor fails to impress airline security

Once again, airline "security" fails to impress me. This is what you get when you staff security with a bunch of high-school dropouts (which, by the way, will not change when they become federal employees).

From the Washington Times at http://www.washtimes.com/national/20020119-79003878.htm

Quote:
Medal of Honor fails to impress airline security

Joyce Howard Price
THE WASHINGTON TIMES Published 1/19/2002

Airline security personnel at Phoenix's international airport questioned a retired general and war hero about the Medal of Honor he was carrying before he boarded a flight to Washington, D.C.

"They just didn't know what it was but they acted like I shouldn't be carrying it on," retired Marine Corps Gen. Joseph J. Foss of Scottsdale, Ariz., said yesterday in a telephone interview.

"I kept explaining that it was the highest medal you can receive from the military in this country, but nobody listened," he said.

Gen. Foss, an 86-year-old former South Dakota governor whose resume also includes stints as president of the National Rifle Association and as commissioner of the old American Football League, said he was "hassled" about the medal by two separate security crews at Sky Harbor International Airport in Phoenix. He was trying to board an America West airliner Jan. 11 to attend an NRA meeting in Arlington.

"I received the medal in 1943 from President Franklin Roosevelt," after shooting down 26 enemy planes in the Pacific, said Gen. Foss, who was a Marine fighter pilot during World War II.

"It states all that stuff on the back of the medal," he said.

"I was held up for 45 minutes, while they decided what to do about the medal. I almost missed my flight, as they went back and forth," Gen. Foss said.

He stressed that he would not have boarded the plane if he had been stopped from taking the medal aboard. "I'm one of only about 140 surviving Medal of Honor recipients," he said.

Gen. Foss acknowledges that a commemorative metal nail file — also bearing a Medal of Honor inscription — and a dummy bullet were also in the same pocket of his sports coat as the military medal. Those items were seized before he boarded the plane, but he was allowed to keep the Medal of Honor.

Metal nail files and other instruments with blades are prohibited from aircraft cabins under Federal Aviation Administration regulations that went into effect after the September 11 terrorist attacks.

Bullets and other ammunition are not permitted on an aircraft in a passenger's possession. However, the bullet taken from Gen. Foss was harmless, as it has a hole in it so that it will fit on a key chain.

An FAA spokesman was unable to say whether a dummy bullet would be banned under the federal regulations. But he pointed out that airlines are allowed to impose restrictions that go beyond those of the federal agency.

Gen. Foss said he normally doesn't travel with his medal. "I do not carry the medal around with me. But I had it with me this time to show to cadets at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point," where he was a guest speaker last week.

Patty Nowack, spokeswoman for America West, said she could not respond to specific questions about the Foss case, as she cannot verify he flew on the airline. She could not say whether there would be any security concerns about a medal but that it would cause a metal detector to go off.

"Our primary objective is to ensure the safety and security of all passengers and employees. We're not trying to single out any individual," she said yesterday.

Gen. Foss says he believes his one-way, first-class ticket, coupled with the 10-gallon hat and western boots he was wearing, made him seem suspicious to security personnel.

Because he wears a pacemaker, he said he couldn't go through a metal detector and so he had to be "frisked" by guards.

Also, Gen. Foss said, "I had to take off my cowboy boots three times [before boarding], as well as my belt and necktie. I compared the situation to bailing out to land in a foreign country."

He said security personnel went so far as to remove razor blades from his luggage, which also went beyond FAA requirements.

Jim Baker, chief lobbyist for the NRA, said he understands the need for "extra security." But he questions how an 86-year-old man bearing the Medal of Honor could be considered a security risk.

"There appears to be a need to incorporate common sense" with the additional security that's being imposed, Mr. Baker said.
The article doesn't say if the National Guards troops stood at attention and saluted General Foss the entire time. If not, they should have.

(I wonder what effect *that* would have had on the security drones!)
Old January 19, 2002, 01:34 PM   #2
Marko Kloos

Another item added to my growing list of reasons why I'll be taking my own vehicle for travel in the future whenever remotely feasible. I'm even looking into combining my vacation this year with a boat trip to Germany instead of a flight.

And they wonder why nobody wants to fly these days? I mean, why would you not want to pay hundreds of dollars for the privilege of being treated worse than cattle, strip-searched, and robbed?

:barf:

:barf:

the munchkin wrangler.
Old January 19, 2002, 01:38 PM   #3
Sodbuster

Everyone in the military from the greatest to the least salutes the Medal of Honor. As far as common sense being incorporated into airline security, I would bet on it going the other way. Too bad someone of Joe Foss's stature had to endure this.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old January 19, 2002, 01:42 PM   #4
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

This has...

...gone entirely too damn far.

Joe Foss singlehandedly did more for national security than every airline screener ever spawned.

The thought of these mouth-breathing cretins pawing our nation's most sacred award, one that is most frequently pinned on coffins, sickens me beyond words.
Old January 19, 2002, 02:18 PM   #5
Jeff White

I'm with Lendringser on this. I will not fly commercial air unless ordered to. I made up my mind about this on September 12th.

What really upsets me is that I have spent 27 years defending a society that WANTS to be treated like cattle.

Instead of writing the FAA suggesting commonsense ways of securing aircraft, I think I'll write them and suggest the following:

All passengers must report to the airport 48 hours in advance of their flight. Upon reporting to the airport they will que up into two lines separated by gender. At the first station they will present photo ID and their ticket. Once it's verified that they are the person the ticket was sold to, they will proceed to station two where they will fill out the same multi-page life history form that is required for a basic National Agency Check when a person joins the military. They will also be photographed, fingerprinted and have their mouths swabbed for DNA samples at this point. The photos will be digitally compared to the NSA, CIA, DIA, FBI, BATF, CID, NCIC and INTERPOL databases for possible "hits" on known or suspected bad people. The fingerprints would simultaineously be run through AFIS for matching to defeat someone who may have gained or lost weight or otherwise changed their appearance. The DNA sample would be matched up with the Id presented in the booking er...I mean check in process. This will expedite things for frequent flyers the next time out. Once their DNA is in the database they could check into their flight in 24 hours instead of the usual 48.

The next station will be the psychological exam. A board certified psychologist will conduct an intake interview er ..I mean quick assesment of the flyers mental state and if he/she is the type of person who could maybe sit next to an emergency exit or might want to harm themselves or others.

Once past the psycholical screening the traveller would proceed to the next station. Here all of their luggage would be searched, x-rayed, sniffed and immersed in water for two hours. While this is going on the passenger would strip naked and shower his or her clothing would be subject to the same scrutiny as the baggage. Once the passenger emerged from the shower a complete body cavity search would be conducted along with an upper and lower GI series of x-rays to make sure the passenger wasn't trying to smuggle a fingernail clipper onto the aircraft by wrapping it in a condom and swallowing it, only to be retrieved in the lavatory later. Passengers would then be issued airline coveralls and flip flops. When it was time for the aircraft to board, air marshals would pick up the passenger load in the secure padded gate where they were locked after being issued their coveralls and flip flops. A crew of 4-6 air marshals could probably cuff, shackle and chain them together (we wouldn't want anyone leaving the secure area to pick up something they forgot or say a final goodbye and delaying everything) then they would be led down the jetway to the aircraft. Once on the aircraft they would be seated and the roller coaster type bars would come down and lock them in their seats. Air marshals would remove the cuffs at this time and the passnengers could enjoy their flight. Once they reached their destination, they would be reunited with their clothes and baggage and they could go about their business.

It's a sad commentary on our society, but I really believe that few would object to this kind of treatment bcause it makes us all safer :barf:

I really wonder when the sheeple will be pushed to the point where they say enough is enough?

Jeff
Old January 19, 2002, 02:37 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

Common sense has become a rare and uncommon commodity these days.

And.......we taxpayers get to pay for this nonsense.

Nikita Khrushchev predicted confidently in a speech in Bucharest, Rumania on June 19, 1962 that: " The United States will eventually fly the Communist Red Flag...the American people will hoist it themselves."
Old January 19, 2002, 02:46 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Disgraceful treatment of one our living heros. Federalizing the airline security is a mistake that will cost taxpayers more money and will have negligble results on airline safety.
Old January 19, 2002, 03:15 PM   #8
papercut

Gary,

Especially since they aren't going to replace the existing security Taliban in the first place.
Old January 19, 2002, 03:19 PM   #9
OF

Quote:
"Our primary objective is to ensure the safety and security of all passengers and employees. We're not trying to single out any individual," she said yesterday.
One thing that has hit home for me in this whole nightmare is just how truly incompetent the decision-makers actually are. They've paniced. The whole lot of them. It's pure panic. They are incapable of implementing an effective plan of action in response to an immediate threat, so we get this garbage instead.

It's not encouraging.

- Gabe
Old January 19, 2002, 03:44 PM   #10
Walosi

As stated, an entirely disgraceful situation, especially when repeated at two different stops. Loved his comment about his ten-gallon hat and boots making him look suspicious - really a "furriner".

The FAA and their airline clientele have never been at the top of the gene pool, but recruiting village idiots from the lower Amazon basin seems to be the best they have accomplished to date in their security personnel updates. I'm drivin'.
Old January 19, 2002, 03:54 PM   #11
trapshooter

Quote:
Patty Nowack, spokeswoman for America West, said she could not respond to specific questions about the Foss case, as she cannot verify he flew on the airline. She could not say whether there would be any security concerns about a medal but that it would cause a metal detector to go off.
(Note: Phoney quote continuation follows):

"Ms. Nowack (formerly known in her Flight Attendant days as 'You know, the one who keeps spilling coffee on people'), when questioned as to why the security personnel didn't know what a Medal of Honor was, replied "Well, I suppose that just isn't a big deal in security circles, and certainly the fact that a significant percentage of our security screeners are not US citizens isn't material to this situation". When pressed, Ms. Nowack claims to have forgotten the subject of the question, and asked "Where are you all headed today? Would anyone like some juice or peanuts?"
Old January 19, 2002, 04:29 PM   #12
deanf

Perhaps this is a good enough reason to insist that airport security personell at least be U.S. citizens. This way there'd at least be a slim chance that they would recognize the highest military honor in the country, and give it and the owner the proper respect.

(There was a link to an article on Drudge about airport screeners who were suing over the requirement that they be U.S. citizens. Link is gone now.)
Old January 19, 2002, 04:36 PM   #13
D.W. Drang

It doesn't say what nationality the "security screeners" are.
A lot of them here at SeaTac are foreign exchange students. Would you expect as Somali top be impressed by the CMH?

BTW, "they" are REALLY pushing for vets, especially reitred military, to take the new federalized airport security jobs. Do you really think Gen Foss will get hassled then?
http://thecluemeter.blogspot.com/
Old January 19, 2002, 04:53 PM   #14
Fred Hansen

When are we going to take our country back?

If we leave the U.S. in the hands of the average pukebag suburbanite, we are doomed. The I.N.S. just arrested 24 illegal aliens that were at work at SeaTac Airport, several of them had top security badges,ALL OF THEM have been working there since before 9/11. What the F*#%! Over!

Now they hassle Joe Foss? I think I'm going to need to stay away from the airport for a very long time. If I don't I'll end up in jail for pounding somebody.:barf: :barf: :barf:
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old January 19, 2002, 05:10 PM   #15
striderteen

Uhm. No comment, at least not a printable one.
Old January 19, 2002, 05:15 PM   #16
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Quote:
Gen. Foss says he believes his one-way, first-class ticket, coupled with the 10-gallon hat and western boots he was wearing, made him seem suspicious to security personnel.
Ex-CUSE me!?

Somebody at America West -- America West for God's sake -- want to tell me just exactly what in the name of Judas' second cousin is so blinking suspicious about a Stetson and boots?

Huh? What?! What exactly about Western wear and a Medal of Honor should be suspicious to a airline named America WEST?

I'm hear to tell you that I've just damned near hit the end of my ever-lovin' rope.

When the idiot security drones hired by a moronic airline, subsidized by the greatest number of misbegotten, thieving cretins God saw fit to inflict on the United States of America get the idea through their microcephalic, monosynaptic think boxes that a Medal of Honor, cowboy hats and boots are worthy of suspicion, then it's bloody well time for a little anarchy.

Two-bit, four-flushing, mud-sucking, dirty, goat-roping, sister-dating, oxygen thieves! Who the hell gave you little bliss-ninnies permission to think?!

The only blessed things you should say to that man are: Yes, sir and no, sir -- then offer to carry his bags to the plane.

I hope there's a warm spot in hell for you little jackanapes.

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files
Old January 19, 2002, 05:30 PM   #17
CastleBravo

You can send your love messages to America West airlines here:

http://www.americawest.com/contact/generalinfo.asp

http://www.phxskyharbor.com/contacts.html

Old January 19, 2002, 06:57 PM   #18
OF

As fine a tirade as I've seen in quite some time, LawDog! 'jackanapes' indeed.

- Gabe
Old January 19, 2002, 07:20 PM   #19
Jim V

Lawdog, you is my hero after that rant.

Every damned airline in the US should go out of business if they can't hire security people or spokespersons that are smarter than a squash.

grumble, mumble, goddamned idjets, mumble, grumble, scum scucking morons, grumble.
Old January 19, 2002, 07:26 PM   #20
citizen

The "Right Man" for the right moment.

Lawdog, I wish I were president; only so I could appoint you
Attorney General......
Life is too short for dial-up
Old January 19, 2002, 07:37 PM   #21
msu_cj_grad

Wadda-ya expect when they only were paid $6 per hour (at least in my area). I remember them recruiting locally after 9/11. I laughed my a** off when I read the requirements and pay/benefits. Guess it goes along the lines "you get what you pay for." And with this, I'd be worried about all major construction projects in the future, as the contractor with the lowest bid gets the job. Makes you wonder, "just what are they thinking."
Old January 19, 2002, 07:59 PM   #22
Redlg155

Quote:
Perhaps this is a good enough reason to insist that airport security personell at least be U.S. citizens. This way there'd at least be a slim chance that they would recognize the highest military honor in the country, and give it and the owner the proper respect
I doubt it. The way most of the kids are growing up these days they wouldn't know a MOH from their four corner point of contact. The nationalized American Citizen knows much more about American History than the majority of native born citizens, and that's sad.

I think that if you want to live in America, whether natural born or resident alien, that you MUST serve at least a two year enlistment defending the country in whatever branch of Armed Forces you may choose. Selective Service registration is just a joke. I think it would do wonders for our society. We could all do better with a little discipline in our lives.

Good Shooting
RED
Old January 19, 2002, 09:02 PM   #23
circlei

A link with picture of the suspicous man and his pistol!

Hope I'm not breakin' any rules here but, the link to my online store has a pic of the suspect and his .45 pistol.... He has in fact brought more than a few planes down! LINK
Old January 19, 2002, 09:47 PM   #24
clem

Outragious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every day, I read the paper, watch the news, or watch Bill O'Reilly or read something one of the members has found and posted and....I get more pissed off!
I'm not a spring chicken, I've been around and I'm still amazed at the number of fools and jerks still alive and running around loose in America.
What the hell is wrong with these people? Are they NOT held accountable for their actions?

Clem
USMC Retired
Old January 19, 2002, 10:55 PM   #25
DorGunR

Yeah, what LawDog said........cause I'd be banned from this board if I said how I really feel about these so called airline security idiots.
Vietnam 1966/67 - 1969/70