The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 19, 2024, 02:12 PM   #1
Grey_Lion

Oddball question of the year - arrow head dies?

Today I found myself wondering if anyone ever heard of or made a scrap metal sheering die set to use a heavy duty swaging press (Walnut Hill) to press broadhead arrow points out of 12 or 14 gauge sheet metal scrap...

I know - I know - crazy off the wall idea -

One more way to use my swage press...

Barring that - is there another piece of hand / bench equipment to stamp out broad head points?
Old April 19, 2024, 02:21 PM   #2
georgehwbush

now see! that's what makes a man a genius right there.
Old April 19, 2024, 04:38 PM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
Today I found myself wondering if anyone ever heard of or made a scrap metal sheering die set to use a heavy duty swaging press (Walnut Hill) to press broadhead arrow points out of 12 or 14 gauge sheet metal scrap...

I know - I know - crazy off the wall idea -

One more way to use my swage press...

Barring that - is there another piece of hand / bench equipment to stamp out broad head points?
Really depends on your point of view--I personally like solid broadheads and have never entirely trusted mechanicals. No reason you couldn't make your own--though 4 blades I assume would be trickier than two. My guess is proper weight, mounting and balancing will be far trickier than just making the blades. I know a guy who makes primitive style with glass and flint and ties them to bamboo shafts--and he's brought deer down with them. We obsess about how many tons of impact force and expansion it takes to humanely take a deer with a firearm while primitive bow hunters quietly drop deer with very minimal draw/ kinetic energy arrows.

Last edited by stagpanther; April 19, 2024 at 05:01 PM.
Old April 29, 2024, 06:45 PM   #4
Grey_Lion

I'm thinking a flat 2 bladed design - nothing fancy. A long mounting tang with two holes in it to possibly mount the point on a sharpening jig possibly made out of an old CD drive with a mounted sandpaper disk for roughing out and then a wet-stone for a final edge. The point should lend itself to both a typical hunting arrow or a crossbow bolt.
Old April 29, 2024, 06:48 PM   #5
Grey_Lion

further research on the arrow point notion

So 12 and 14 gauge stainless takes appx 1.5 to 2 tons of force to stamp out. The better more cost effective tool for this is likely a 3 ton bench arbor press which runs about $300 new - and a tooled die would be easier to use on an arbor press than on a swage press.
Old April 29, 2024, 07:22 PM   #6
stagpanther

You might find a market in the primitive bow world--more than once I've consider dropping a grand or more on a true high-quality primitive wooden bow, I love shooting them.
Old April 30, 2024, 08:35 AM   #7
stagpanther

Something like a Zwickey would be great!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1266.jpg (205.1 KB, 47 views)