The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 3, 2002, 12:48 AM   #1
makarov

Coach guns. Stoeger vs. IZH

Stoeger SxS Coach Gun nice wood $267

Russian coach gun IZH - $220

Opinions? I just like the looks of them. Think a short barrel coach gun would be fun. I didn't look at the Stoeger very closely. Are they made in Brazil?
Old March 16, 2002, 12:28 AM   #2
makarov

Just posting again since the server went down. Nice to see it back up and running. Mostly curious about quality of the Brazilian gun vs. the Russian.
Old March 16, 2002, 01:27 AM   #3
Wild Irish

snake-eyes for HD!

Makarov, Sir! I've had the Stoeger version for several years, and it is a hoot. Don't know much about the Russkie one, but I believe it is a bit more than the $350 I dropped for mine. I've always had a thing for doubles, and these came around just in time to scratch an itch that I had going for a snake-eyed shorty. My home is small, and it is just the ticket for "just in case". A pump will spit out more, but after shooting (dead last) in a local IPSC, simple for now seems to be the right move. I did pack the Stoeger with me several years ago into Alaska, never felt undergunned. For a sling I cut up a pair of Levis, leaving a front and back pocket. Sewed up the bottom of the pant leg, and worked a leather piggin strip through the top (pockets) part to semi-cinch it, then added a leather sling top to bottom. Some ScotchGuard for weather resistance, and off I went. Whichever flavor you get, I'm sure you'll enjoy!
Old March 16, 2002, 10:15 PM   #4
Brooks

Review

I think that you can find a review in the Aug. 2001 AMERICAN RIFLEMAN on affordable side by sides including both the IZH and Stoeger. I can't remember if they addressed coach guns.

Last fall, I bought the IZH 27 and believe it was a great buy.
Old March 18, 2002, 12:18 PM   #5
Hemicuda

I've had a 12 Ga. Stoeger Coachgun for quite a while now...

I LOVE this shorty 12... whatta fun gun to shoot...

only problem was the stock was a tad short, but since it came w/ a hard plastic butt plate, a Pachmar Decellerator recoil pad was in order anyway...

I had a swivel-stud affixed between the barrels, almost out to the muzzle, and added a sling...

GREAT buckshot gun for brush... and even does well on turkeys...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old March 18, 2002, 02:53 PM   #6
Meowhead

What about the Rossi Overland? I THINK that's the name, anyway. Is it still being made?

Nice quality, 3" chambers, 20" barrels, exposed hammers with no safety. Very simple, VERY fun to shoot.