The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 30, 2007, 10:44 PM   #1
Playboypenguin

This is not a Taurus bashing thread by any means, but...

...I am now official Taurus free.

I do not own a single Taurus firarm any longer. The only one left in the house (sort of) is the one (731) my partner keeps in his car while he is working.

Nothing against Taurus quality but I decided to trim my collection down a bit. Not fewer gun, but fewer repeats of the same type of guns.
Old December 30, 2007, 11:34 PM   #2
Manedwolf

No Judge? Got to have one of those just for the sheer fun of the thing. I recommend the 6.5" stainless version. Especially at a clay range.

"Hey, watch me shoot down clay disks with a revolver!"

The sound and fireball from a Remington .410 shell out of a handgun is dramatic, to say the least. *BOOM!*
Old January 2, 2008, 08:36 AM   #3
pesta2

Trying to wean myself off them also. I had 4, sold one. Want to eventually get ride of my 2” .357 and get a Ruger. I am keeping the 445 since it is a 2” 44 special. I am also keep the .41 Tracker since it is good for hiking. After having 3 Taurus neeing repaired out of 4 it left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old January 2, 2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Playboypenguin

I have never act ually had one thatneeded repaired. My decision was purely asthetic. I just like the look of Ruger and Smith better.
Old January 2, 2008, 10:12 AM   #5
NCHornet

I have never strayed from S&W wheelers, except for one RedHawk, so for me staying Taurus free is not a problem.
This isn't Taurus bashing, but....
Remember this "Friends don't let friends carry Taurus"
Old January 2, 2008, 10:48 AM   #6
Thunderhawk88

I have one, a Model 85, which is perfect for carry in warm weather or in pocket. Not sure if I'll get another, but this one has been great.
Old January 2, 2008, 01:37 PM   #7
jakeswensonmt

If Taurus ever gets their customer service up to par I would buy a Judge, but until then I am Taurus free too.
Old January 3, 2008, 12:58 PM   #8
03Shadowbob

I have been taurus-free for 6 months now and I do not plan on having a relapse or falling off the wagon.
Old January 3, 2008, 01:23 PM   #9
Breakdaddy

I'm Taurus free as well. I didn't have very good luck with the one I bought.
Old January 3, 2008, 01:53 PM   #10
NGIB

I'm also Taurus free at the moment. The only one I own is at the factory hopefully being repaired (it was a week old 24/7 Pro)...

I'm old, grumpy, and jaded - still vertical though...
Old January 3, 2008, 03:25 PM   #11
thunderkyss

I actually like Taurus.

I don't own one now, but I plan to own several in the future.

I like their 92FS, I've owned two in the past, and I own a beretta now, but I plan on getting a Taurus soon.

I also like their 1911.
Old January 3, 2008, 03:30 PM   #12
Playboypenguin

Quote:
I like their 92FS, I've owned two in the past, and I own a beretta now, but I plan on getting a Taurus soon.

I also like their 1911.
I think the PT92 is superior to the 92FS, the Beretta model. I would highly recommend one to anyone that wanted a great range or HD gun.

As for the Taurus 1911, I have heard horror stories from every dealer I know now. I also noticed that Taurus pulled a few of the models before they even got out the gate.
Old January 3, 2008, 03:49 PM   #13
Manedwolf

I thought the 92FS is the Beretta. Do you mean the PT-92?

I much prefer the PT-92...the big paddle safety's in the right place, on the frame, not the slide. It can be flipped from a normal firing grip.

I have one of those, a nondecocker. It just keeps shooting and shooting and shooting and...
Old January 3, 2008, 03:51 PM   #14
Playboypenguin

Quote:
I thought the 92FS is the Beretta. Do you mean the PT-92?
Yes, I garbbled that sentence up badly the first time. I fixed it.
Old January 3, 2008, 04:20 PM   #15
Manedwolf

I also maintain that Taurus indeed improved the design by moving the safety down to the frame and making it ambi, and Beretta has stuck to the older, less-optimal slide safety simply out of stubborn pride. They don't want to admit that Taurus is right.
Old January 3, 2008, 04:21 PM   #16
Playboypenguin

Quote:
I also maintain that Taurus indeed improved the design by moving the safety down to the frame and making it ambi, and Beretta has stuck to the older, less-optimal slide safety simply out of stubborn pride. They don't want to admit that Taurus is righ
Yeah, but funny how their new "higher end" version, the Steel, has the frame mounted safety with the decocker.
Old January 3, 2008, 04:22 PM   #17
Manedwolf

Wait, it does? Beretta finally moved it? I did not know that. Took them what...like over 20 years to admit it, if so?
Old January 3, 2008, 04:24 PM   #18
Playboypenguin

Just on the "Steel" models. The regular ones still have the old safety.

I want one of the new ones so bad but they cost $1200
Old January 3, 2008, 11:42 PM   #19
AR15 guy

I have 2. 1 is a 1988 model pt99 which has never had one malfunction. Even with the factory 15 round mags that have been loaded for 19 years. And a pt1911. About 1000 rounds down the pipe with zero malfunctions. Shoots great.

But I don't carry either. I carry a g19.
Old January 4, 2008, 11:41 PM   #20
doc2rn

Traded my last one off before the Holidays also. T-92AFS, the grip screws flew out the first time I fired it, in March. Called for replacements, found out they don't make them like that anymore, sent in came back w/out being fixed. Had a gunsmith machine 2 screws and traded it in on a new Ruger. This was the second time I bought and had to pay someone else to fix a Taurus, never again.
Old January 7, 2008, 03:50 AM   #21
Dingo Steelwell

I have a Taurus PT-92-AR, I think the AR is for the gold appointments and the rosewood (grips) I love mine, I have had it for almost three years and have never had a single malfunction, mis-feeds, stovepipes, NOTHING...
it is 17+1 and I have 4 mags (2 came with it, 2 came later, but they are all identicle) I dont keep very good track but I would guess I have put around 3500 rounds through it (I dont get to the range nearly as much as I would like to...)
it is a joy to disassemble, and easy to clean...

I also have the blue 6" JUDGE, I like that for shooting clays but have also used it with the .45LC and was a bit suprised by the accuracy and lack of felt recoil (those "ribber" grips do their thing!)

(I am glad this is not a Taurus bashing thread...)
Old January 7, 2008, 08:37 PM   #22
Avenger11

Yeah right, shooting clay's with a 6" Judge??? Don't buy it, unless your shooting them on the ground at 20 feet
Old January 7, 2008, 08:56 PM   #23
Dingo Steelwell

dont get me wrong, I dont hit them very often, but I can hit and shatter clays with my JUDGE...
I use Rem. 2.5" game loads #6 shot, and a hand thrower that resembles a big wrist rocket slingshot (I have my buddy throw them as high and slow as the thrower will allow...)

But yes, I do shoot calys with my 6" JUDGE...
Old January 14, 2008, 12:48 PM   #24
pesta2

Another Taurus needing repair

I am at Wal-Mart yesterday so like always I walk by the Firearm counter. I heard this guy ask the woman behind the counter for .357 Mag. well she hand him .357 sig. So I politely said those are the wrong one you need, those are .357 sigs.

So he handed back to the lady and asked for .357 mags for target practice but no Remington. I asked him why no Remington, he said because he has been having a large amount of misfires with them. He told me around 7 out of 10. I told him that was strange and ther is no way Remington ammo could be misfiring that bad. I asked him what gun was he shooting them in, he said a Taurus. I asked him it the firing pin was stinking the primer ok. He said on one of the cambers the pin just barely’ rubber’ the primer, he said on two other chambers the firing pin stuck the very edge of the primer touching part of the brass.

I told his it was not the ammunition that the Taurus was way out of timing. He said that is what he thought but he went to the dealer and the dealer said it was no the gun but the ammunition he was using. I asked him what dealer and he did not know, bought it at the gun show but the dealer would not take it back or send it out for repair. He said the dealer just kept telling him it was a new gun and it was the ammunition. I told him that dear is lying to him or did not know any better.. I told him he could send it back to Taurus but good luck with that and it took me 8 months to get a front sight from them.

Told him 3 out fo 4 I owned had issues. Do they even test fire them before leaving the factory? No way a revolver that bad out of time should have went out of a factory.
Old January 14, 2008, 01:24 PM   #25
Crosshair

Well I am sad to hear that you are giving up on Taurus, but it is (supposed to be) a free country. Hope you find something you like. That's the great thing about having choices.