The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 27, 2009, 10:39 PM   #26
Nykop

Remington GS

I'm in agreeement with Benzuncle I have been accumulating as much GS ammo as I can for all my guns. I like the 185gr 45 ammo for my PM45 I think its the most accurate ammo I have ever used and i have tried them all. There might be more impressive ammo on paper out there double tap comes to mind but I have found the rem gs is the best all around ammo .........so far.
Old October 28, 2009, 09:05 AM   #27
DasFriek

I use 90gr GoldDot,but would prefer the Corbon DPX is if i could find it at a competitive price.
GD=$22
DPX=$35

I have noticed you need to be a bit more picky with .380 ammo since the lower powered rounds wont expand as easily as a 9mm will.
The 2 i listed above seem to be the most reliable in expansion,but im sure others may be similar,these 2 just stand out to me.
Old October 28, 2009, 09:26 AM   #28
oldgranpa

ethics??

Well now, some have no ethics. Just saw this thread where minsonngo posted a wetpack picture of mine without giving credit where he got it. Besides, it's an old picture of a test long ago.

Now if you want a bunch of up-to-date ballistics info on 380 ammo, you go to my threads at usrange in the Ammo&Ballistics section.....(you may have to register to see the pictures)

www.usrange.org

There you will find reports with pictures of wetpack tests on 380 ammo from a variety of pistols and different ammo brands.

Posting links to other peoples work is always good. But posting the work itself without credit is like the biblical dog that returns to his own vomit!

Have a nice day!
og
Old October 28, 2009, 12:55 PM   #29
doza615

sig p238

anybody run any ammo through sigs new .380?
Old October 28, 2009, 03:52 PM   #30
DaveTec

I like the concept behind the pow r'balls. The nylon ball acts as a streamliner when the bullet is flying thru the air, and doesn't allow for coat/hair or obstructions to interfere with penetration. When it does penetrate the nylon ball pushes back, opening or starting the expansion of the bullet.

And it does leave quite a bit of stuff in the BG/target by the looks of that picture above. And with 8" of penetration, that would reach an internal organ (usually) with a big old ragged hole for a secondary wound channel.

Another forum I frequent posted a guideline on what will stop a BG. Expansion wasn't the primary method of stopping someone, critical blood loss was (unless you hit the spine/brainstem). For a center mass shot to be an effective "show stopper" the bullet and it's primary wound channel has to pierce a vital organ (liver, heart etc...) and the BG has to suffer critical blood loss. Which gives them approx 15 seconds to continue conscious effort.

The secondary wound channel (caused by the expansion) didn't play much part in the lethality of the shot. This concept is why most of the detectives who routinely carry the .380 load choose FMJ's and try to achieve a 12" penetration.

I'll try to find the link from this report. It was very informative reading. Almost makes me want to hang on to my plinkers, and throw my HP's down range at the paper.
Old October 28, 2009, 03:57 PM   #31
Tommy Vercetti

can you say Cor Bon? 90 grain hollow point at 1050 feet per second and 220 foot/pounds of muzzle energy
Old October 28, 2009, 06:33 PM   #32
IdahoG36

My new favorite .380 loading is the Corbon DPX 80gr jhp. It has been very accurate and 100% reliable through my LCP. I believe it is rated at around 1150 fps and 198 lbs energy at the muzzle, which isn't bad for .380.
Old October 28, 2009, 09:17 PM   #33
LeadFistExpress

My thumb was pretty tore up by my PPK/S the first time I shot it too. Since then I have learned to adjust my grip slightly to make sure the slide does not contact my thumb. Since then I have had no more problems.
Old October 28, 2009, 11:37 PM   #34
DasFriek

Quote:
ethics??
Well now, some have no ethics. Just saw this thread where minsonngo posted a wetpack picture of mine without giving credit where he got it. Besides, it's an old picture of a test long ago.
Now if you want a bunch of up-to-date ballistics info on 380 ammo, you go to my threads at usrange in the Ammo&Ballistics section.....(you may have to register to see the pictures)

www.usrange.org

There you will find reports with pictures of wetpack tests on 380 ammo from a variety of pistols and different ammo brands.
Posting links to other peoples work is always good. But posting the work itself without credit is like the biblical dog that returns to his own vomit!
Have a nice day!
og
I didn't do it this time but ive been busted before,and i didn't feel bad one bit.
My reasoning was i found the pic threw Google pictures which is public domain.
But of course its is nice to give credit when possible,but if we did that with every single bit of info we use from the net it would take forever and be annoying.
Also ive read many of your tests and reviews and enjoyed them alot.
Old October 28, 2009, 11:46 PM   #35
ColtSkin

Corbon is the only 380 auto defense ammo I would ever use.
Old October 29, 2009, 12:02 AM   #36
zombieslayer

I buy as much Pow'rBall as I can find. It feeds great in lots of guns, and has insane velocities for factory ammo.
Old October 29, 2009, 07:48 AM   #37
oldgranpa

you are so right, DasFriek, and thank you for your kind remarks. I guess I should actually be pleased that he thought enough of my test picture to post it. Anyway, doing anykind of ballistic test requires some amount of work. Even doing Chrony readings is a bit of work getting the chrony set up right and recording the results. Wetpacks, water jugs, whatever, take a good bit of time and effort getting ready, hauling it to the range and setting up. Then more time to recover the bullets, clean them, measure, and arrange for a decent photo.
So I really do appreciate seeing the results of other folks test work and reading their range reports. I know it just didn't happen and took a lot of work. Cheers and best wishes to all who post their own test results.
og
Old October 29, 2009, 08:12 AM   #38
DasFriek

oldgranpa- I to have also had my pics reposted without my consent also.
Over the years ive done many Photoshop type comedic pictures,and one way to safeguard them from being used by someone else who claims them as thier own is to "WaterMark" them.
Its kind of like a lite imprint of your name or "Mark" that shows its your work.
Sure it can be gotten rid of easily enough threw photoshop again,but most are to lazy or dont know how.
Id say new copys of MS Paint may be able to water mark decently enough so you dont have to buy hard to use software.
Old October 29, 2009, 09:07 PM   #39
benzuncle

Oldgranpa, I didn't even see your name on the picture posted near the front of the thread but you are the person I was refering to. I saved the picture and your detailed description of how you constructed your wet pack, not to take any kind of credit but for just such a thread as this, where someone wanted to know about 380 ammo. The other time I refered to your test, I did indeed use your name! Thanks again for your willingness to share that info.
Old October 29, 2009, 09:50 PM   #40
comn-cents

I just got some DoubleTap and it seems to shoot well in my Sig p232.
Old October 30, 2009, 08:48 AM   #41
oldgranpa

hi, benzuncle, and thanks for your remarks. Regarding Remington's GoldenSabr 102gr JHP ammo for the 380, it's hard to beat for self defense out of any 380 pistol. I just did another wetpack comparison using a P3AT and a Kahr P380. picture posted here so you don't have to register at usrange to see it. Also posted is my chart of Chrony tests.
There's at least one report by a gelatin tester where it didn't expand for him, but he got low velocities with the ammo he used. Wonder if it was a bad lot? I've never had a bad lot of GS in the over 5 yrs I've been doing wetpack tests.
So, again, if you choose Rem GS to carry, it's not a bad choice. And seems like every now and then my dealer gets some on his shelves where he can't get anything else.

I really like the Winchester Ranger 95gr JHP, but it's classed as LEO ammo and hard to find for civilian purchase. Every now and then some shows up online. Try it if you can get it.

Regarding DoubleTap, it seems to be available also direct from the mfg. online. It doesn't expand very big for me but has good penetration. Not in the picture attached for this test, but if you want to bother, I show it in several old tests on usrange.

Cheers,
og
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3AT vs P380 wetpack test Oct 24, 2009.JPG (59.9 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg new 380 Chrony test.JPG (88.0 KB, 242 views)
Old October 30, 2009, 11:10 AM   #42
DasFriek

I gotta say it seems the ammo makers sure have responded well to getting out some reliable and effective .380 ammo out pretty fast.
Id love to find some Ranger for any of my guns,ive never even seen it on shelves localy.
And that DPX is so crazy high in price at $35 a box of 20,but you cant put a price on your life either.But i can buy GoldDots at $22 and do just as well with them.
Id like to fond some Hornady Critical Defense in .380 also,i think i seen you did some test on those OGP? I picked up a box for my PPS 9mm i have coming,its sad i had to start looking for and buying ammo for a gun i don't even have in my possession yet due to lack of ammo.
9MM is just as hard to find as .380 is now.
Old October 30, 2009, 01:17 PM   #43
oldgranpa

I agree, DasFriek, I'd like to try some Hornady critical defense myself. But none anywhere around here or online. Some people have reported having some, but not in this part of the country. What I tested in Hornady was their XTP, hollowpoint without the plastic tip. Like GoldDot it doesn't expand very big, but fair penetration.
Another 380 ammo showing up is the Buffalo Bore stuff, +p for sure, but I refuse to test it in my polymer pistols, either P3AT or P380. I just think the higher chamber pressure would do harm to light weight pistols like that. All metal pistols it might be OK, but I sold my Bersa and Sig. Getting old and having to reduce my inventory.
Hope you run across some Win Ranger some day. That talon bullet really looks severe and will cut your fingers when you dig it outof the wetpack!

Some good practice ammo starting to show up is the S&B 92gr FMJ. CheaperThanDirt has some and I found some being marketed by Winchester at a local dealer. Since MagTech bought S&B I suspect Winchester made a deal with them to make some in a Winchester box. The box clearly states made in the Cezch Rebulic. Brass must be easier to get in Europe.

Cheers and good shooting,
og
Old October 30, 2009, 05:49 PM   #44
LightningJoe

For mousegun cartridges like .380 Auto, you're probably better off with FMJ. Trying to turn .32 Auto or .380 Auto into a service caliber with fancy bullets might well backfire, giving you poor penetration and causing only superficial wounds.
Old October 30, 2009, 07:57 PM   #45
Bill DeShivs

LightningJoe-
You are entitled to your opinion, but it's wrong.
Old October 30, 2009, 08:37 PM   #46
NWCP

I like the Golden Sabers for both my .380s and my 9mms.
Old October 30, 2009, 08:37 PM   #47
comn-cents

+1Bill^
Old October 30, 2009, 08:55 PM   #48
Renfield

Quote:
The .380 and .32 ACP became viable self defense cartridges BECAUSE modern expanding ammunition became available in those calibers.
but that flies in the face of their decades long popularity, was the 1903 Colt a bad self defense choice for Teddy Roosevelt?

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old October 30, 2009, 09:23 PM   #49
DasFriek

I see no reason to use .380 FMJ with todays ammo.
For one its very reliable now for expansion,which wasn't the case years ago.
Even with expansion it still penetrates well.
I still keep all the first rounds in my ccw guns FMJ's but thats due to not wasting expensive ammo due to setback.

I cant comment on .32 or .25 as i find them useless,seriously they are.A .380 can be had in the same size any .22 .25 .32 gun is made.
But that doesnt mean i think the world of .380,its just barely acceptable in my book.

I do agree OGP that +p in a LCP or P3AT is not a good idea,those guns arent the easiest to control under normal ammo.Now im going from what i read on this.I think the P238 could handle +p well,but with such small barrels id have to see alot of testing to prove its getting the higher fps to make it worth it.

Id like to see a .380 +p 112gr at 1100fps that would almost get a foot inside 9mm territory.Oh yeh make it have that solid copper hollow point that guncrafters make for the GI.50
Old October 30, 2009, 09:35 PM   #50
doza615

I know we are talking .380, but I really think the proof is in the pudding. The way they are making these hollow points today, fmjs are just practice ammo in my book. BY the way I ONLY carry Winchester Ranger Bonded 124 grs 9mm+p's in my duty Sig and .45 230 grs bonded as well in my G36 back up. They do not need to make a bonded in .380 but OG is right about trying the Winchester LEO .380. Ranger T or Super X.
.380 fmj = practice
.380 HP = business