The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 19, 2007, 11:38 AM   #1
azredhawk44

AR Magazines: What do you like?

I'm part-way through building an AR-15, and I'm looking at what magazines to purchase.

My buddy brought a Bushy out shooting this last weekend and he had a bunch of Magpul magazines. But he's only had these mags for a couple months.

I worry about the polymer lips on them; has anyone done a torture test on a Magpul magazine?

I like the idea of lightweight polymer magazines, but I don't want to have a bunch of problems from bowed-out feed lips or the bolt and cartridge each tearing a couple thousandths off each time I use the magazine.
Old December 19, 2007, 11:45 AM   #2
taylorce1

Well I lucked out I got my hands on a few Pre-Ban 20 round Colt magazines. These have a metal follower and I've never had any problems with them. I like them much better than the 30 round mags my AR came with. I also have a few 30 round GI issue mags, but don't use them much.
Old December 19, 2007, 12:50 PM   #3
tacticalmedic

I use C-Products 30 round Magazine. I have had no problems with them.
Old December 19, 2007, 01:13 PM   #4
dustinlowery

standard GI magazines w/ magpul self leveling followers and ranger floorplates

If god didn't want us to kill why are our eyes on the front of our head
Old December 19, 2007, 01:26 PM   #5
shaggy

I have a mix - Bushmasters, Colts, C-Products, and some mixed USGI mfgs (Center, etc.). FWIW, I've seen the Magpul mags (a friend has a few) and I like the look of them. If I hadn't just got a screaming deal on a case of steel C-Products mags, I probably would have bought a dozen or so. Keep in mind, no mag is going to last forever - even good USGI mags will wear out (usually at the feed lips) and polymer mags are no exception. My guess is that they'll last just as long as an aluminum mag, perhaps even a bit longer since the polymer mags seem to be a bit thicker at the feed lips than an aluminum USGI mag.
Old December 19, 2007, 01:59 PM   #6
boltgun71

USGI 20rd mags are my personal favorite.
Old December 19, 2007, 02:32 PM   #7
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

As Pat Rogers says, "don't fall in love with your magazines." All magazines, sooner or later, will wear out.

With that said the advice to stick to USGI mags with Magpull self-leveling followers is a good to follow.

I have a total of 50 Magpul PMAGS and have not experienced one malfunction even when loaded with 30 rounds (load G! mags to 28 so they will lock in under a closed bolt). The only exception to the above was they would not insert in a S&W MP15 that had an out of spec mag well. That, however, was the fault of the carbine, not the magazine. Round count with the PMAGS is approaching 4K, with the lions share of that with the first ten purchased.

A great source for both USGI mags and PMAGS is Bravo Compnay USA. PMAGS $14.20 each and a case of ten GI mags with green followers and gray Teflon finish for only $109.95.
www.bravocompanyusa.com

Denny
Old December 19, 2007, 03:44 PM   #8
David the Gnome

If you're looking for GI mags this might be a good place to check out:
http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm

AIM also has some which already have the Magpul goodies.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/U...Pack_Deal.html
Old December 19, 2007, 05:13 PM   #9
tulsamal

I love those new PMAGS. I bought mine from AIM. Quite a few of my other metal magazines and Magpul followers came from AIM as well. And I bought some of the steel Asian surplus mags from CDNN. Put orange Magpul followers in them and they are good to go.

I like the new style 20 round mags that are slightly curved. Same company also makes a stainless 20 round mag that is nice. Can buy those at AIM as well.

Gregg
Old December 19, 2007, 08:43 PM   #10
jakeswensonmt

The only thing I don't like bout the Magpul's is the price. I have a few.

Got a whole bunch of Center Industries 30 rounders with the green followers real cheap. They're ugly, but they work fine, and they have the LEO/military only stamp on them, which impresses the ignorati.

I'd like to find a few Okay Industries, so when people ask if they're any good, I can say "they're Okay."
Old December 19, 2007, 08:49 PM   #11
Jermtheory

all of my current mags are USGI with Magpul gen II followers.

but from here on out i'll be going with the Magpul P-mags.

just waiting to see if Magpul comes out with the P-mags/Ranger floorplates soon.
Old December 19, 2007, 10:44 PM   #12
MMcfpd

D&H 20 rounders are my current favorite, with Magpul followers gradually being added. I am anxiously awaiting the soon to be released Magpul 20 round PMAGs.
Old December 19, 2007, 11:34 PM   #13
fourrobert13

CProducts, Brownell's, and Magpul Pmags.
Old December 20, 2007, 02:35 AM   #14
RockyMtnTactical

Quote:
As Pat Rogers says, "don't fall in love with your magazines." All magazines, sooner or later, will wear out.

With that said the advice to stick to USGI mags with Magpull self-leveling followers is a good to follow.

I have a total of 50 Magpul PMAGS and have not experienced one malfunction even when loaded with 30 rounds (load G! mags to 28 so they will lock in under a closed bolt). The only exception to the above was they would not insert in a S&W MP15 that had an out of spec mag well. That, however, was the fault of the carbine, not the magazine. Round count with the PMAGS is approaching 4K, with the lions share of that with the first ten purchased.

A great source for both USGI mags and PMAGS is Bravo Compnay USA. PMAGS $14.20 each and a case of ten GI mags with green followers and gray Teflon finish for only $109.95.
www.bravocompanyusa.com

Denny
I second this! USGI mags and PMAG's from Bravocompany, that is what I would recommend. You can never have too many mags or too much ammo.
Old December 20, 2007, 03:08 PM   #15
ElrodCod

I like the CProducts stainless steel straight 20s.
Old December 20, 2007, 03:15 PM   #16
rellascout

D&H Industries 04TQ4 30 rounders. Paid less than $9 a piece shipped for a case of 10.
Old December 20, 2007, 06:51 PM   #17
IZinterrogator

HK High-Reliability magazines. The Cadillac of AR magazines. I have 10 of them and they have never caused a malfunction. Also, when you load them into the mag well, you will have a case of the giggles the first time you do it because they go in so smooth and easy and lock in place with almost no effort.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old December 20, 2007, 07:05 PM   #18
10-96

I don't know which mags to tell you TO get- but I'll offer my $.02 worth on GI mags- STAY AWAY FROM OKAY INDUSTRIES 30rnd MAGS! It's a damned mirace they didn't get some of my soldiers killed in Iraq in '03 & '04. The feed lips looked to have been hacked out with flint chisels or something. And, we were lucky to get them to work when only loaded to 20 rnds.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old December 20, 2007, 07:40 PM   #19
chuckles

Best place I've seen for mags is http://www.44mag.com
His prices are great. Priority mail shipping means you get them in 3 days. Just about any brand you want at great prices.
Old December 20, 2007, 10:24 PM   #20
USMCG_HMX1

I got 6 mags from Aim Surplus. All are current production, all have the new green follower, and I've not had a problem with any of them.

Kris
Old December 20, 2007, 11:03 PM   #21
radom

I like the standard GI 30s. My top pick though is the old Colt GI 20s. One thing about the GI jobs is that most everyone that was in the service seems to have a closet full of the things even if they dont have a AR. I get a lot of free mags that way too.