The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 21, 2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Tophe

Shot my first Action Pistol tonight!

I just got back about an hour ago from my first action pistol shoot at my local gun club. That was alot of fun, and good practice/training for sd situations.

It is a "shoot for fun" weekly event. They charge $3 and you get to go through as many sessions until dark. They keep your score by time, which i'm sure some of you are familiar with.

I will definatly try and go back every week if I can continue to find ammo. It was cool to see all the different guns people were shooting. Probably around 6 of the 30 or so people were women, and guns ranged from .22 to .45's.

I shot pretty good for my first time I though. It was crazy how I got the adrenaline rush going compared to just shooting at a target. It was much more difficult than just plinking at targets. I did wound a "hostage" once so I gotta work on that

I had my first FTE with my new gun, but I am pretty sure I can blame it on myself. It happened on a session where you had to switch to you weak hand and I am pretty sure I limp wristed it pretty badly. So I'll work on that next time to the range.
Old May 21, 2009, 11:56 PM   #2
mjoy64

Congrats... and welcome to the addiction! These types of matches are a great place to work on your gunhandling/marksmanship skills. Everyone has a plan until the buzzer goes off!
Old May 22, 2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Tophe

Thats exactly how it was man...as soon as I would start, you feel the pressure and it was easy to lose focus of your plan. Like I stayed kneeled down once and shot two bad guys, when I was supposed to shoot one, then get up and shoot through a window.

I think my problem was I was rushing too much. Gotta slow down and worry more about the targets than my time.
Old May 22, 2009, 08:47 AM   #4
rjrivero

There's an old saying, "You can't miss fast enough to win."
Old May 22, 2009, 03:28 PM   #5
pinetree

Congrats!!! I still haven't gotten up the mustard to shoot it at my club, then again my schedule is pretty full and my weekend priorities are on the bottom for now. I figure when my daughter is older and starts to do her own things then I can too, for now I gotta get in as much time with her as I can. I figure this summer, at the farm, I'll intro her to my 10/22... she is 6.

Speaking of that, despite the rain, we are headed to the pool.

tjg
Old May 22, 2009, 03:49 PM   #6
Tophe

Yea, once you try it you'll be hooked. I understand though....Im almost married, with no kids so I dont have much to commit to. Just wait til she's old enough to go to the shoots with you! There was a guy and his daughter up there....She was pry 20-21 years old. She was shootin a .45 and was very impressive with the gun. Doupletaping ...one in the chest, one in the head.

Somethin to look forward to ........
Old May 22, 2009, 06:52 PM   #7
Mike40-11

Hey Tophe. Fancy meeting you here. That was my daughter there with the 1911. Mine, but somehow I always seem to wind up shooting something else at action pistol.

I was going to say see you next week, but her brother is graduating, so see ya the week after. You can't beat it for 3 bucks. Keep coming, concentrate on precision, not speed. You'll be amazed at how quickly you improve.