The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 14, 2009, 09:08 AM   #51
BillCA

Arguably, S&W won the revolver market from Colt and Ruger has always been a bit behind S&W in market share.

What makes an S&W revolver worth the extra money you pay for it? I think it can be summed up in one word. But for those looking for "concrete" reasons;

- 110 years of reliability and proven designs.

- A first-class warranty and customer service department.

- A low rate of manufacturing defects (under 2%)

- A broad product line of high quality products.

All of the above contribute to that one-word descriptor:

Confidence

When you pick up an S&W revolver, you are confident that it will perform its function with a probability approaching certainty (100%).

Sturm Ruger produces an excellent firearm using similar methods and also has a low rate of manufacturing defects. But most Ruger wheelguns are cast steel frames which, while proven to be durable, are larger and slightly bulkier than S&W and can be more prone to stress fractures than the forged S&W frames.

Taurus forges the frames of its steel guns in a manner similar to that used by S&W. Their labor pool is cheaper and receives fewer benefits. The interiors are usually less finished, small parts are rougher and sometimes less than adequately hardened. While Taurus offers a lifetime warranty, their customer service often seems swamped and turn-around times on repairs can exceed several months.

In the recent past, the Taurus QC program has let quite a few poorly made pistols loose into the market. Revolvers who's triggers fail to move the hammer or that bind up after two shots seriously hurt the reputation. Out of the box, I can be satisfied that if a new S&W will fire 50 rounds without a hitch, it is about 98.9% certain to fire the next 5000 the same way. With either of the Taurus guns I've had, I've had failures at 80 rounds and 116 rounds. That means firing 250-300 rounds to prove out the gun before relying on it.

To be fair, all gun companies will put out the occassional lemon or marginal specimen. Almost every gun company has marketed a design or chambering that didn't work right. And every design or manufacturing process has its inherent weaknesses.

Tags
smith wesson