The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 12, 2007, 01:35 PM   #1
kingudaroad

Local 7 year old killed by stray bullet

Tragic story in the local paper today. Apparently a guy was target shooting on his property and accidentally shot a kid jumping on a trampoline 1/3 of a mile away.

A good reminder to be aware of what is behind what your attempting to shoot. And this was just a .22.

Link to news story ...

http://www.news8austin.com/content/y...sp?ArID=182362
Old April 12, 2007, 05:07 PM   #2
RedneckFur

Thats terrible news, and i agree. know whats behind your target.

I'd still like to know what are the odds of something like that happening though. A stray bullet hitting somone jumping on a trampoline 1/3 mile away, and killing them.. from a 22?
Old April 12, 2007, 05:32 PM   #3
applesanity

Exactly. As callous as it may be, kids are more likely to drown in their backyard swimming pools.
Old April 12, 2007, 05:43 PM   #4
DietCola

Very sad. I find it strange though that it was a .22 from that far away.
Old April 12, 2007, 05:45 PM   #5
kingudaroad

Not a very good day for anyone involved. Very tragic and unlucky. Kid got killed and shooter faces manslaughter charges.

I guess thats why they made four rules of gun safety instead of just three.
Old April 12, 2007, 06:27 PM   #6
Dave R

Quote:
I'd still like to know what are the odds of something like that happening though.
Even if its billions to one, there are billions of .22 rimfire cartridges manufactured each year. I don't remeber where I heard that, but I remember being amazed. It follows that if billions are being made, billions are being shot.

And, as my stats professor once said, "there are people living under the tail of that bell curve." His point being, unlikely things do happen.
Old April 12, 2007, 06:29 PM   #7
Playboypenguin

I agree with DaveR. Unusual things do happen. If it only happens once it has happened too often. That is why gun owners always have to be extra aware of their surroundings and take extra preautions.
Old April 12, 2007, 07:14 PM   #8
Gbro

What an awful tragedy. my heart aches for the family and community. I also feel great sadness for the shooter.

How many people shoot without having a proper backstop?

How many rifle ranges have exposed rocks on their berms?

safety cannot take a break, it just can't!
Old April 12, 2007, 10:19 PM   #9
williamd

Read a story some time ago about a shooter in NY shooting from his boat. Bullet skipped on the water traveled almost a mile, through an open window and into a ladies head behind her ear. Not enough energy to exit. The autopsy found the slug. The detective who figured it out and backtracked to find the lake and ultimate the shooter told the story. Sad. The shooter violated no laws and was not charged. But, like this story, a good lesson in ricochets.
Old April 13, 2007, 07:10 AM   #10
Limeyfellow

The shooting to swimming pool is not really that accurate to compare, though if you really want to go that way, in this area we lost 8 people to stray shots and 3 drownings in the lake (all adults, mostly boating accidents), non by swimming pool. Still make sure you supervise kids at swimming pools and so on.
Old April 16, 2007, 11:45 PM   #11
Hardtarget

First impression was 1/3 mile was a long way for a .22. So The little bit of math didn't take too long...just under 600 yards. Not a shot I'd bet on if I tried it...but bad luck will cause lots of trouble. To accidently hit a person like that would break my heart. Such a sad thing.
Mark.
Old April 17, 2007, 05:37 AM   #12
PowderedSugar

omg..... terrible.... terrible........
Old April 17, 2007, 06:23 AM   #13
old 12 gauge

a terrible accident that every parent don't want to think about, As a parent, and GP I would be highly up set with the shooter but eventually would realize that it was a freak accident and no one was the blame any more than if the kid had been struck down by a stray bolt of lightning.
Old April 18, 2007, 03:55 PM   #14
.45REAPER

Similar thing happened here in Chattanooga, TN not to many years ago, on our local firing range some guys were plinking with full auto weapons, when one somehow flew out of the range (its a BIG range, at least around here) and went into a window 1.2 miles or so away, hitting a woman in the stomach. didn't kill her, but she sued and the firing range added more safety features (higher backstops etc..)