The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 27, 1999, 01:42 PM   #1
Joseph

I'm getting a P239 (after the dealer gets off the gun, which I'll go into on another thread if there is screw-up) and am getting mixed messages on converting the caliber.

I'm getting a .357Sig and I've heard that when going from the 9mm to the larger .357/40 barrels that you need a new slide/mags. However, going back down from .357 to 9mm, that since the barrel will fit into the larger slide, all one needs is mags.

I called Sig and they say that it would be cheaper to buy a new gun in 9mm because of all of the conversion parts. They also said that the same applies to the P229, which I always thought was simple drop-in convertible. In other words, it is not recommended practice.

Anyone done this or have experience on the P239? Is this a marketing ploy by Sig?

Thanks in advance.
Roon
Old December 28, 1999, 04:55 PM   #2
Walt Sherrill

From reading on the Sig list, I've been led to believe that you *can't* move UP from 9mm to the higher calibers. Period.

That's because the frame on the 9mm is not the same as the frame on the .357/.40 gun -- the .357/.40 frame is more stoutly made.

To attempt this conversion on 9mm P-239 would void the warranty, and would probably do harm to the shooter.

There are after-market barrels for the P-228 (Bar-sto, I think) which allow this type of conversion for that model, but I haven't read of any aftermarket conversions for the P-239.

Supposedly, a stock P-239 9mm barrel won't work in a .357/.40 P-239 -- or if it does, it won't be safe. Head space and chambering are subtly different -- the 9mm cartridge butting up against the .357/.40 bolt/slide won't be right. This could, arguably, cause a KB...

[This message has been edited by Walt Sherrill (edited December 28, 1999).]
Old December 28, 1999, 06:25 PM   #3
Joseph

Walt,

I'm getting a .357Sig version of the P239.

Bret, over on the SigForum wrote: "A Bar-Sto 40S&W for my 357sig P239 was pricey, but very good. They say they make a 9mm barrel for the 357sig/40S&W P239 frame/slide too. Thicker barrel to line up the breach end."

By going from the heavier caliber to the lighter, shouldn't that work, or is it still the problem of tolerances elsewhere.

I think I'm going to buy a P228 or USPCompact 9 in addition to the P239, so this may be a mental exercise right now, but I'd like to get it all straight.

Thanks for your help and continued advice.
Old December 29, 1999, 07:04 PM   #4
Walt Sherrill

I've heard good things about Bar-sto barrel conversions for the P-228, so a P-239 should work. I just had not read anything about a Bar-sto (sp?) being available for the P-239.

(It requires a specially-made aftermarket barrel for the conversion to work...)

You might want to subscribe to the SIG LIST for more information. Then ask the guys there. Some of the most knowledgeable SIG shooters around.

--------------------------
Subscribing: E-Mail [email protected]"

SIG-L: Put "subscribe SIG-L" in the body of the message

SIG-L-DIGEST: Put "subscribe SIG-L-DIGEST" in the body of the message
---------------------------
Old December 29, 1999, 10:30 PM   #5
Joseph

Walt,

I did post the message over on the Sig-L list, and also on SigForum. No real information other than Bret's on the Bar-Sto. I guess this is fairly new ground.

Roon