The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 12, 2008, 02:03 PM   #1
BigJimP

.44 Mag Trail Boss Mod 629 RSR gun

I stumbled accross a used one on Tue / hardly fired in a local shop for $ 625. Pre frame safety model S&W 629-5 3" barrel / ported on both sides of the barrel along the front sight. Original box, paperwork ... My research tells me there were 500 of them made from 1996 - 1999 from RSR. Its an N frame - round butt.

I couldn't help it .... it followed me home.

I'm not a short barrel fan - especially in a .44 mag - but I must admit this gun shoots really well, nice smooth combat trigger, red ramp front sight, adj rear sight, standard Hogue rubber grips on it and I had no trouble holding a 4" group at 40 feet ( slow controlled fire single action ) - and the porting helps keep the muzzle jump under control.

The porting doesn't change the recoil - but for you guys that have touted the "Trail Boss" in the past / my apology, you were right. Its actually fun to shoot / although I only put 2 boxes thru it on Tue afternoon - but that's usually enough for me in even an 8 3/8" barrel model 29. I've seen them selling on guns america and other sites for $650 - $750 lately, so if you happen to run accross one in your travels - I would actually recommend you consider it. Take care.
Old June 12, 2008, 02:40 PM   #2
kamerer

Yep, people just don't believe you when you say, "Hey, this 3" .44 magnum is really nice..." - they give you the "You probably like Desert Eagles, too..." look. Personally, I just can't find a big difference in one of these vs. a 4" (mine is unported, too). Plus the round butt fits my hand better, so for the 50fps or so on average I am giving up vs. a square butt 4", it's a real winner.

Bud's is currently doing last year's blue Model 29 3" Bounty Hunter at $575 delivered right now. At least I think it's a discontinued model; I don't see it in the current catalog, only 3" I see is the "629ES" model with the bear bait, book, and box for like $1k. If you can live with the lock, sounds like a real good deal.
Old June 12, 2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Flame Red

Earlier this year I sold off all my S&W revolvers, except for two, my 4" 500 S&W 'watermelon vaporizer' and my Trail Boss.

The Trail Boss has the sweetest SA trigger pull of any revolver I have ever used. A real sweat heart. I don't think I'll ever be rid of her.

You got a sweat deal. Mine cost me almost $1K, and I was happy to find it.
Old June 12, 2008, 04:54 PM   #4
BigJimP

Thanks - both good to know.
Old June 13, 2008, 05:14 PM   #5
dairycreek

I have had my Trail Boss (not ported and unfluted) for nearly 10 years and have found it to be a superb revolver. Easy to carry and easy to shoot and quite accurate it really is the weapon I carry when on the trail or in the woods. Great gun

GOOD SHOOTING
Old June 17, 2008, 05:57 PM   #6
44 Deerslayer

I agree, the 3" 629 is a great woods gun or concealed carry if you like to carry a big bore revolver.

Old June 17, 2008, 11:48 PM   #7
Mosin44az

Only 500 made? Total? I better hang on to mine then.