The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 5, 2002, 08:29 AM   #26
DDGator

Blame the owner, not the gun

I assume you mean NAA...

All newer NAAs have a safety slot between cylinders and if an old gun doesnt have one, NAA will install one for free. The gun should NEVER be carried with the hammer down over a loaded cartridge. It takes no additional effort to put the gun in a completely safe condition where a drop will not cause an AD.

To each his own -- if you prefer a knife over an NAA mini -- that is your personal choice. However, I think you are imputing your friend's negligence and inability to follow basic safety procedures to the fault of the gun. That was pure owner negligence. Put the hammer in a safety slot -- or if you dont have a safety slot -- get one -- and if you havent gotten one yet -- put the hammer down over an empty cylinder.

NAA guns are hardly frail, are top quality, and are entirely safe when handled with even a reasonable degree of care.
Old September 5, 2002, 09:57 PM   #27
nthe10ring

cci stingers

Ive got a Sig Trailside with 6" barrell and recently I tried some of the CCI Stingers, they functioned terribly with this gun, and when fired they produced a lot of smoke and residue emission from the gun, with the NAA's short barrell dont these rounds emit a lot of the same.
Jerry
Old September 6, 2002, 03:00 AM   #28
Jato

My bad.....NAA not NRR.
Old September 6, 2002, 07:15 AM   #29
the blind lefty

my only experience is with a friends 22 with the small grips. every shot resulted in the gun popping straight up in my hand. when i tried a single handed shot it flipped up in the air,and fell to the ground. they are slow into action.
i think any of their guns with the larger grips would be satisfactory for deep concealment,and handling. i particularly like the folding stock design.
i get the impression these guns are very reliable for such a small design. they're quite handsome as well.
Old September 6, 2002, 08:45 AM   #30
Edward429451

Refinished? Its stainless.

25 ft? Maybe just for fun.

Back pocket? Nonononono. This is a front pocket gun.

My .22 mag used to stand up in my hand when fired. Never dropped it though. My 22LR one will stand up almost as much. I've considered checkering the grips to get it to stay put, but have never done checkering and would probably botch the job.

Who's the guy who makes grips? FPrice? Fitz something? Does he make grips for these mini's? (just one more finger!).

Great gun, but wont hardly let anyone touch mine for fear they'll drop it. (Mine's a Freedom Arms with no safety notch, so 4 rnds is all it gets, but still...)
Old September 6, 2002, 08:52 AM   #31
DDGator

Oversize grips

I definitely recommend the oversize grips -- which are on sale this month from NAA direct.

With the larger grips I have no problems with the gun twisting in my hand -- even with the hottest .22 mags.
Old September 11, 2002, 03:59 PM   #32
Climb14er

I've had the NAA Mini-Mag and .22 Long Rifle

1 5/8 inch 'convertible' gun for approximately eight years and it has worked well for me every time.

I usually practice with the .22 lr and it's easy to shoot. The maxi-mags that I usually keep in the mag cylinder have a slight 'sting' to them but if you hold on, the gun is manageable and somewhat accurate for a body shot in under seven feet.

This is, for me, a pure defensive gun, kind of a 'last resort' piece. When I go into the mountains and weight is an issue, I take the .22 mag version and keep it by me for protection from two legged critters.

Two years ago, I was 'cornered' by this a-hole who thought I was some hippy-dippy granola eating (nothing against granola as I enjoy the cereal myself, from time to time) backpacker. He wanted to make some trouble and finally, (and for the first time), I pulled the .22 mag out and pointed it right at his mid-section. Granted, this is no big bore piece. However, he did get the message and backed off in a hurry.

I still enjoy carrying the NAA .22 mag but will be getting a new Kimber .45 Ultra Compact soon. My philosophy: a .22 mag is better than nothing!
Old September 11, 2002, 08:57 PM   #33
Double Naught Spy

I got to put about 30 rounds .22 lr through a friend's one day at the range. His had the little birdhead grips and was carried as part of a keychain, so it was always handy for him.

The recoil was rather odd. I would not say the gun recoiled as much as it seemed to 'hop' in my hand. With the little bird head grips, I would have to regain my shooting grip after each shot as the hopping action would move the gun in my hand. If I were to carry such a gun, I think it would have to be as extremely deep cover and for contact shots only.

By the way, after unloading the gun and borrowing a couple of kids from one of the other shooting stalls (with the dad's permission and supervision), we were able to determine that the bird's head grips are best suited for people with the hands the around the size of little boys, ages 8-11. Actually, the gun was a really good fit for those kids in terms of size.

If you do a search (I have lost the shortcut link, sorry) you should be able to find NAAs forum on their web site and there is a lot of information to learn from there. For example, the guns seem really well made, but apparently they have had repeated problems with the pin that holds the cylinder in place. That being said, most folks really like them, but they do have a limited application.
Old September 20, 2002, 07:49 AM   #34
DrDremel

Get the magnum with the .22lrcylinder as well. I had .22lr. It was too small to hold on to. It actually shot well but the extra finger on the grip will make it useable. Also DO NOT take the side plate off ever. Ther are pins less than 1/16 long and springs that will fly out and never be seen again. The guy at NAA said they have special jigs to put them together. They put it back together for free but I would never take one apart again. The grip on the .22 mag is better for actual use.
Old September 20, 2002, 08:50 AM   #35
Edward429451

Yep. Don't take the sideplate off. Ask me how I know. I got it back together but it took awhile. No jig either.
Old September 20, 2002, 10:47 AM   #36
JohnKirk

Chronographed some 40 Gr. H.P Win. Mag. from my friends Naa with 1 and 5/8" barrel. Five rounds averaged 681 FPS. But, the muzzle blast should distract almost anyone. I got rid of a 3" Taurus revolver because of that blast.. Ouch ! I'm already hearing impaired, and a .38 is easier on the ears.

The 3" Taurus clocked 1221 average with the same ammo.
Old September 20, 2002, 11:34 AM   #37

I have the one with the short barrel and interchangeable cylinders. I have very little interest in self defense handguns, I bought mine just because I like to buy guns and it caught my eye at the time.
It does have sights and if you make the effort to shoot one with good technique, it will group. Your practical accuracy is limited by the whole size of the thing and the poor sights, but it has potential accuracy.
Recoil isn't a big deal. Even thought the gun is extremly small, we are talking about a .22 here.
They are very well made and if you like gadgets and curios, this would make a fine addition to your collection.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old September 21, 2002, 11:09 AM   #38
Stoic

If you purchase an NAA mini-revolver, don't worry about the "sights" since using it for self-defense will not involve anything other than pointing and shooting at very close ranges. Because of the single-action and difficulty in cocking for follow-up shots because of the small hammer and frame, you'll probably only be able to get off one shot. If I only had one realistic shot in a self-defense scenario, then I'd want something larger than a .22. Of course, having this mini-revolver is better than nothing.
Old September 22, 2002, 12:06 AM   #39
deputy tom

Guess who bought Himself a nice new NAA 1 1/8" mini magnum today? Yes,Me.

As far as quick second shots go,a magazine article in either Handguns or some other rag showed shooting with two handed hold and cocking the hammer with the weak hand thumb.I'll try this on My next range sesion.

Here is NAA's site

http://www.naaminis.com/

tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old September 22, 2002, 07:19 PM   #40
CAP1

Mine has a 1 1/8" barrel and interchangable cylinders. Magnums are LOUD as described. Decent enough gun. Accurate out to 10 feet or so.
Definitely only a "Get away from me gun" as far as self defense goes.
It has its place in the collection. Fun to shoot and relatively cheap if you stay with the standard .22.
CAP
Old September 6, 2005, 07:22 PM   #41
FLA2760

Re NAA .22 mag

Hi
I have the NAA .22 mag convertable with the 1.58" barrel. The gun is MUCH easier for me to shoot well with now that I have installed the black oversized grips from NAA. A great little gun for deep concelment when you can't take anything larger and a good BUG. Mine has the .22 LR cylinder which allows for cheap practice. An added advantage to these little bangers is that you can load .22 shot loads into the LR cylinder. I have killed several poisionus snakes on my property with the shot loads. A relatively inexpensive firearm but by no means a cheaply made piece.
Steve
Old September 6, 2005, 08:07 PM   #42
pseudo-fed

Have 1 5/8 mini mag with LR cylinder. No special grips. I can keep in 5 inch groups out to about 3-5 yards, with a two handed grip. Have managed to learn how to pull hammer back with thumb of my non-dominant hand (left). Recoil is neglible. I can fire 5 round of magnum pretty quick, with both eyes open.

I did find it necessary to have a gunsmith file the front sight down to 1/16", since the front sight is really cosmetic and you need to aim down the top strap.

Here is mine in Ron Graham "Caisson" pocket Holster (which holds loaded extra cylinder), and then in a Holster from pocketholsters.com (which holds 5 .22 mag rounds). Much prefer the graham:

Don't Sweat the Petty Things, and Don't Pet the Sweaty Things....
Old September 6, 2005, 08:43 PM   #43
FLA2760

Nice Pics!!

Hi Psuedo-Fed
Can you post the Ron Graham website? That is a nice pocket rig! Thank You,
Steve
Old September 6, 2005, 11:03 PM   #44
Marcus

Mine`s a 1 1/8" .22 Mag. I`ve had it for years and carry it every day at work and sometimes as a BUG. Accuracy is suprisingly good so long as I keep in practice with it. I can put 5 shots on a paper plate from 5yds in about 4secs. I second everyone who said it`s LOUD, nice fireball too. According to NAA stick to CCI ammo,it uses faster powders better suited for ultra short barrels. I always use Maxi Mag V in mine. Nicely made little gun. I was worried when I got it that frequent practice would shoot it loose. A call to Sandy (owner of NAA) put my fears to rest. He said shoot it all you want,you won`t wear it out and even if you did send it back to us and we`ll rebuild it for free. Marcus
Old September 7, 2005, 02:45 AM   #45
3 weelin geezer

Can you say: 'noisy cricket'? I practically need tweezers to hold that little sucker.
Old September 7, 2005, 05:32 AM   #46
WESHOOT2

years later......

My mini is in the pocket of my robe as I type this; still goes bang every time, still puts 'em in the black, still with me ALWAYS.

But I like those other holsters shown.
Old September 7, 2005, 06:42 PM   #47
Edward429451

Bump

Quote:
Can you post the Ron Graham website? That is a nice pocket rig! Thank You,
I'm interested in those too.

I got my sideplates to take on a mirror finish with polishing rouge...Looks like chrome.
Old September 7, 2005, 11:35 PM   #48
IronBalls

hehe, joined the club- w/a folding grip, shooting her tomorrow
Old September 8, 2005, 09:21 AM   #49
Glenn E. Meyer

I have two:

A 1 5/8 22LR/mag. I changed out the wood grips for those slip on rubber grips that NAA sells. Good change. It is what it is - a BUG gun. I also load it with snake shot when I'm out in the country carrying a rifle.

For kicks, I shot the TX DPS protocol with it. Max score is 250 and I shot a 238 with the NAA. At close distances it is not hard to hit the target.

With 22 Mag rounds, it surely makes a big boom. I was at a range and let go with a 22 mag between the side walls of a lane and I thought I had personally blown up.

The other is a 22S - it is amazing small and I bought it as it was cute! I shot the DPS protocol and shot about a 150. It is definitely a close up gun but I really just bought it as novelty. I know folks have save their lives with them and I image it has more utility than a stick.
Old September 8, 2005, 03:55 PM   #50
IronBalls

just back from the range (mouse gun day):

NAA mini (.22LR) with folding clip grip. Fun factor was fairly high. it was fun to shot this little blaster. I shot bulk ammo (federal, winchester, and remington, along with stingers and velocitors). You can really feel the extra punch of the stingers and velocitors in this little pea shooter. Reliability was 100 percent. Even the remingtons bulk ammo which typically give many light strikes in my other guns, functioned great.
- Accuracy was horrid. My best accuracy was at 3feet, and even then i had flyers (dont think it was me, as i am a great shot). At 15' it was rough. it took me along time just figuring out how to aim the suker, And yes, i will need to file down the front sight.
-kick is light, and snappy.
-i had to use the revolver set pin to extract the shells in many cases.
-looking at the design, and the notched cylinder hammer rest... i can safely say those who have AD (accidental discharge) either have older models without this feature, or they do not know how to opperate this feature. I have full confidence in theis safety method, and now am thinking of putting the smaller grip back on (never shot it with the original grip).
-I wonder if i file the hammer down some (as to catch clothing less) if she will function as well. i will look into it...

next gun, Beretta 950 jetfire, in .25auto, shooting blaser, hornady xtp. I am always impressed with this gun. remarkable accuracy, and reliability out of such a small package. Definately my carry preference of the two.