The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 16, 2009, 05:49 PM   #1
tpareloader

Jim Rome Gun Talk

Hey guys,

I was listening to the Jim Rome show on the radio today and he was talking about Plaxico Burress shooting himself in the leg with his glock. Rome was saying he should have had the safety on... did this bother anyone other than me? Glocks have no safety that can be "turned on" Jim! Geez :barf:

I let it go the first time I heard him say it... but he repeated himself like two or three times. I agree Plaxico is an idiot having a gun with him in a club... but how can he put the safety on if there is none!

If you don't know what you are talking about don't talk is what I say.

Let me know if I'm way off base here...
Old June 16, 2009, 06:46 PM   #2
wickedrider

I don't know his email address, but send him a rant about how much of an idiot he is not to know that a Glock only has a trigger safety. The real question is how much of an idiot is Plaxico to not research handguns and purchase one with a safety, if he knew what a safety was. Or better yet, who was the friend or salesperson who told him to buy the Glock in the first place.
Old June 16, 2009, 06:50 PM   #3
rioalumni05

when rome comes on the radio/tv changes channels here.. cant stand that guy.. jonathon coachman is another that i dont like listening to their voice..
Old June 16, 2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Sevens

If I flicked on the TV and Jim Rome was on it, and Jim Everett was NOT also there, I'd turn it off and that would be the end of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

I'd recommend everyone else follow that lead.
Old June 16, 2009, 08:04 PM   #5
tpareloader

I agree, I think he's garbage. Too pompous.
Old June 16, 2009, 08:08 PM   #6
Rich Miranda

He's a sports guy. I expect nothing other than complete and utter cluelessness from anyone not familiar with firearms.

However, the fact that they are clueless regarding firearms does not keep them from talking as if they aren't.
Old June 16, 2009, 08:32 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

I like Rome, but he's clearly out of his league on this one. Knowing his fans too, and I'm sure some of them are knowledgable about guns, I'd guess Rome got blasted by his "put on the safety, Plaxico" rant.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; June 17, 2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old June 16, 2009, 08:34 PM   #8
tpareloader

I just sent him an email educating him on the subject.
Old June 17, 2009, 08:34 AM   #9
#18indycolts

Rome is a sports expert, not a gun expert. He clearly made a mistake, let it go.
Old June 17, 2009, 09:28 AM   #10
Rich Miranda

The secondary issue here is that some people not familiar with firearms tend to think that the safety is some type of magical device put on the gun by your Fairy Godmother that will prevent all NDs.

Anyway, if Plaxico's gun did happen to have a safety, I'm sure it would have been off.
Old June 17, 2009, 10:05 AM   #11
Jayhawkhuntclub

It amazes me how Jim Rome even has a job. How can someone that stupid be that arrogant?
Old June 17, 2009, 02:13 PM   #12
TheNatureBoy

Jim Rome suggesting that Plaxico Burress should have had the safety on his Glock doesn't surprise me. His level of expertise on the subject of firearms is equal to his knowledge of sports.
Old June 17, 2009, 11:44 PM   #13
supergas452M

What Rome should have said...

"Plaxico should have had a proper holster."
Old June 17, 2009, 11:59 PM   #14
Catfishman

Quote:
If I flicked on the TV and Jim Rome was on it, and Jim Everett was NOT also there, I'd turn it off and that would be the end of it.
Good advice. I remember this from long ago. I can't believe this guy has a job. He is a cowardly jerk. He knows less about sports than he does about guns. There has got to be thousands of better people ESPN could hire.
Old June 20, 2009, 04:00 PM   #15
Matt19

Rome is just a blowhard.
Old June 20, 2009, 04:06 PM   #16
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Unless there's anything else to add besides Jim Rome's apparent lack of gun knowledge and his personality issues, there's no need to have this thread go on...

Closed.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Closed Thread