The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2010, 11:19 PM   #1
gmh1013

Ruger P345 .45

Ive wanted one for years and bought an SP101 instead and then a SIG 9mm
but at 450 bucks it seems like a pretty good deal. Ive read some good things and bad about it....does anybody have any input or own one?
Old February 4, 2010, 11:25 PM   #2
grantman

Accurate, reliable, relatively slim. Has horrible da trigger pull that i haven't been able to master yet, sa is ok. However, I have bought a new spring and when I get some time will be installing it to see if that helps
Old February 5, 2010, 04:28 AM   #3
PointOneSeven

Agreed on the double action trigger. Smooth, but very looooooooooooong. Might not be a big deal in a SD situation, but when you're at the range, and you're not sure if you flinch, you'll know after shooting one .

Doesn't kick too bad, beautifully accurate... it's a sweet gun!!
Old February 5, 2010, 12:45 PM   #4
bigghoss

soft shooting, love how slim it is, aftermarket sights are available, takes the same mags as p90/97 so they aren't super expensive and you can rebuild the mags with 1911 mag springs and followers so if they ever give you trouble get some wilson combat mag guts. I'm going to order the wolf spring pack that comes with 3 different weight springs. then I'll take one of the leftover springs and use it in my p95. another very good mod, rather than a grip sleeve get non-skid tape like you would use on steps and rungs of a ladder and cover the grip with that. works awesome, stays put, and peals off clean if you have too.
Old February 5, 2010, 04:10 PM   #5
grantman

modification

Quote:
I'm going to order the wolf spring pack that comes with 3 different weight springs. then I'll take one of the leftover springs and use it in my p95. another very good mod
I just replaced the factory spring with a lighter one to smooth the trigger pull about 15 minutes ago. I can tell a difference after dry firing and plan on testing it out at the range this weekend.
Old February 5, 2010, 04:17 PM   #6
rantingredneck

Had one for going on 3 years now. Put a couple thousand rounds through it. It's an occasional CC weapon (usually a revolver of some description fills this role) but is the every night nightstand gun with a Streamlight TLR-1 installed. It's incredibly accurate and soft shooting. ~4" groups freehanded at 25 yds are pretty routine for mine.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 6, 2010, 10:25 PM   #7
HDDeluxe

I love mine. A great everyday shooter. I do agree that the DA trigger pull is nothing to write home about, but since I treat it like a 1911A1 it is always used in SA. Very dependable. Many thousands of rounds through it with nary a hiccup. Get it and you won't regret it.