The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 24, 2008, 04:06 PM   #51
Ace_Breaker

Ooopsy!
Old July 24, 2008, 04:54 PM   #52
Qwiks draw

Boykinhntr.
A hard lesson learned today. There are those of us who celebrate and are glad for you and what you chose. That's the spirit in which things should go.

There are those who will not let anyone with Taurus anything celebrate,feel good about,respect, or talk about their purchase and how things are truly are for you. They just can't let things stand. Gotta party crash and ruin things for others.

If these thugs want to gripe,piss , and moan they can do that elsewhere, but will not do that in their own little arena. Nope. Have to do it here. Worst part is that it is let go.
In other words bullying is allowed and spreading misery is the norm for some. Not all. Just the usual suspects.

Good experiences, the majority, are to be considered inconsequintial as are the owners.
Old July 24, 2008, 05:39 PM   #53
Ace_Breaker

Qwiks

This is a forum. It is a venue for sharing information. I share my information because I truly believe that Taurus could give somebody out there a false sense of security and may not perform when it counts. When reliability, dependability, quality are factors that could save a life, I think it's important to share that information, don't you? Also, how many of you would depend on a company when every single handgun you bought from them broke? Would you do it again? I think it sucks! Coupled with all of the other information on this board, I feel it's irresponsible and lack of knowledge to encourage anyone to buy Taurus despite all of the information out there. So forget about all my experience, my knowledge, shooting instructors, gun shops workers/owners, tactical unit members, competition shooters, and all those that have contributed here. You are right, we are all wrong. This isn't bashing, it's honesty. So, if my response is ruining your little pity party, sorry, I'll call a whaaaaambulance for you. If you don't like hearing feedback on a forum, why are you here? I'm in a no bull zone!
Old July 24, 2008, 07:52 PM   #54
King Ghidora

Ace if you had come into this thread with actual facts instead of the personal attacks you continue to hurl then I would have dealt with you like any other poster. But you go far beyond that. You choose to insult people over and over and that sucks just to be honest. My Taurus doesn't look anything like the photos. I've looked closely at it just to be sure. If it doesn't show any sign of damage after 500 rounds then I suspect it will do just fine for at least the next 10 rounds if I should happen to get in a situation where I need it.

I know Taurus has made some problem guns in the past. Everyone knows it. I also know that this particular gun gets great reviews from the vast majority of people that own it. You say you've heard lots of people say it's bad. I've heard lots of people say the opposite. You as much as called me a liar about what I said I did. That's way outside the realm of discussion pal. It's flaming pure and simple.

The crap you said about my choice not to buy a Glock is a perfect example. The only crybaby I see around here is you. Yet you accuse me of crying because Glocks don't feel good to me. Who the heck are you to say something like that? You're just another internet know it all, that's who. You didn't bother reading the long list of comments I linked to did you? Too much trouble for you? Not smart enough to sift through them? The last refuge of a scoundrel is the personal attack and you went for that right off the bat.

I won't play your flame games here. I'm done with you. But just so you know you aren't the only one that can hurl insults I'll leave you with this. You're just here crying because you had bad luck with your 3 Taurus's. Why the heck did you buy a third one after two crapped out on you? Did you want to cry about them? Seems maybe you should have followed your own advice.

And for those who think Toyotas are the mark of excellence I have had two in the past 10 years. One blew an engine after about 10k miles. It blew another one after another 5k miles. The second one lasted a long time but it blew an engine too. I replaced it and it ran but it drove like a Ford Fairmont or a Chevy Vega. If you're old enough to remember those things you'll know it ain't good. Anyone who thinks Toyota still makes quality vehicles is living in the past. Toyota quality isn't 10% as good as it once was. They stopped being great in 1983 when they built their last rear drive Corollas. So you see things change over time. Sigs are no longer the top notch weapon they once were. And apparently Taurus is getting better. I listed a whole lot of people who agreed with that. You didn't. You're just clinging to old information. I had 15 Toyotas that were practically indestructable. I had several that were total junk. And BTW I've bought a ton of tools from Harbor Freight and they ALL still work perfectly. I just burned up a $300 Black And Decker electric impact this evening. I used the one I bought at HF for $50 which is still going strong. I bought a Superwinch clone from HF for my ATV and it pulled me out of dozens of holes and up steep hills and up a tree one day to get me out of a hole in a swamp. Paid $49 for it and it still works perfect after 4 years.

Hype is not a good thing. But you go ahead and swear by it and I'll swear at it.
Old July 24, 2008, 08:21 PM   #55
ImDisaster

I haven't really seen any "personal" attacks...at least not from the people who have shared some criticisms of Taurus. But typically, you will see people get real defensive of their purchase decisions and attack people who are critical.

If you have the good fortune of getting a good Taurus, fantastic. But realize, there are more people who are don't have the fortune than people who purchased a Sig or a S&W etc.

My PT111, with all it's machining flaws, functions fine. However, I realize I got a little bit luckier than some other people. Also, I know I can't abuse it with thousands of rounds of ammo, or run hundreds of rounds of +P ammo through it, like I can with my S&W M&P. It fits a niche in my collection. It's ergonomics are great. It is accurate. It is one of the slimmest high capacity doublestacks you can purchase.
Old July 24, 2008, 08:31 PM   #56
King Ghidora

If you think "I'll call a whaaaaambulance for you" isn't a personal attack I don't know what you think qualifies as one. You and I had some differences of opinion but we acted civil toward each other. A childish taunt such as the one above goes far beyond being civil.
Old July 24, 2008, 08:43 PM   #57
boykinhntr

I learned when I got married that one of the best things a person can do is to agree to disagree.

The only person that needs to like my pt145 is me. Luckily, I absolutely love the gun and think it is one of the best designed compact .45s I have ever seen. I went to the range today and me and my buddy shot 300 rounds a piece.(we split another 750 rounds of .22lr!!!!) I shot with my PT 145 and he shot his Sig P220. We switched and shot about 50 rounds a piece through each others gun and when we finished, he told me he wanted my gun. My friend brought his new Sig Mosquito(big let down BTW), his P220, a S&W .357, and his Glock 17.

He told me that out of all of them, he liked my PT145 the best and he was shocked at how well it handled. Now he wants one but will probably wait bc he bought the Mosquito this morning.

Anyway, I don't discount the fact that many people on this forum have had problems. However, in my circle of friends and fellow hunters, Taurus has a great reputation.

BTW. I did a search on the PT1911 and the overwhelming response was extremely positive. Maybe there are some older threads that are negative but the last few weren't. The only problem was with the safety and that has been addressed.

Thanks for the healthy debate and I'll keep ya'll posted on my PT as time goes by.
Old July 24, 2008, 10:05 PM   #58
Ace_Breaker

Wow King, you single handedly convinced me that Taurus and Harbour Freight are great companies with quality items. Next time I go to buy Toyota, Sig, or Black and Decker I'll be a little more skeptical thanks to you. With all of that writing I don't think there is anything of substance brought to the table by you, nothing! If you think these "attacks" are personal, especially with all the that are in there, I feel sorry for you. If you can't handle my information or honesty, just ask, I'll be kinder and gentler to you.

Quote:
I haven't really seen any "personal" attacks...at least not from the people who have shared some criticisms of Taurus. But typically, you will see people get real defensive of their purchase decisions and attack people who are critical.
A true statement ImDisaster.
Old July 24, 2008, 11:21 PM   #59
King Ghidora

One of the most frequent things I post is YMMV boykinhntr. Everyone has their opinions and we all have different experiences. But some people think they need to belittle others to make their POV look better. It's sad really that people think that's how to best get a point across. I think it's about the worst way myself.
Old July 25, 2008, 01:37 AM   #60
ImDisaster

Quote:
If you think "I'll call a whaaaaambulance for you" isn't a personal attack I don't know what you think qualifies as one. You and I had some differences of opinion but we acted civil toward each other. A childish taunt such as the one above goes far beyond being civil.
It looked to me like that comment was in respond to this "childish taunt", which was hurled first.

Quote:
If these thugs want to gripe,piss , and moan...
I agree, however, that personal attacks should be avoided and only make a person's argument more suspect IMHO.

I strongly, strongly, disagree on the quality of Harbor Freight Chinese tools. Learned my lesson there the hard way. Sure, if you don't mind a tool that might require repair, isn't very durable, and has terrible tolerances, you can save a bundle. It might even be OK for someone who won't use the tool much...but I still think, for that person, they would be better off renting a tool from their local Home Depot. I can name a few specific examples of my bad experiences with Harbor Freight tools but this isn't a tool forum and I'm a bit embarrassed that it took me that many purchases to learn my lesson.

Black and Decker, is a mixed bag. Some of their stuff is better than others and all of it is designed for the homeowner, not the professional so it isn't designed to hold up to daily pounding. Their DeWalt line was designed for professionals. In fact, you might compare B&D to Taurus (though B&D's quality is generally better.) Both are not designed for professionals who use the product on a daily basis. Both might be fine for the average person who uses them once or twice a year.

I also disagree with people that say Taurus is total crap and is unsafe. They definitely aren't as well made as brands like Sig and S&W, and they won't last as long. Their warranty service is a generally a nightmare to deal with too. But, more often than not, they work just fine as long as an owner doesn't shoot 1000's of rounds through them.

I also think it is OK to disagree...but lets be civil. The biggest difference between people who like and dislike Taurus is their experience. If you bought one and never had a problem, or if your friends didn't, you probably think they are decent guns. If you bought one (or had a friend who did) and weren't so lucky, and then had to go through the Taurus service system, you generally end up with a decidedly different opinion of the company.

You might say, "Isn't that true of all companies?" but I can tell you, I've dealt with S&W's customer service and it was stellar. S&W's customer service created a lifelong customer out of me. I don't think you will often hear that same comment being said from people who dealt with Taurus's customer service.
Old July 25, 2008, 10:36 AM   #61
Ace_Breaker

I've got an interesting story that just touches on Taurus resale values. I don't think Taurus are all worthless. I do think it is a bit of a gamble getting one. It's a gamble I don't want to take again. Getting back to resale. My gun purchases don't come out of our family funds, so I need to make trades or purchases outside of my normal income to keep the wife happy. My goal is to have 10-11 guns that are high quality firearms, without breaking my bank. So I need to trade up a little. I couldn't unload my last Taurus for the life of me. It was a stainless concealed hammer model with only about 50 rounds through it. I got little to zero interest from members here. It was a $350 revolver that I ended up trading in for $225 to a dealer. Then I move on to another handgun. The Sig 225/P6. I bought one for $340 recently. A guy locally who had to have it and offered me a Beretta for it. We did a straight trade. I later found that the Beretta was a rare model. A guy offered me an unfired Kimber Custom Compact plus $200 cash for it. I took the trade. I just sold the Kimber for $927 shipped. I bought an Hk P7 with Tactikote finish, dual tone for $600 with the money and put the extra $300 or so in my pocket. Taurus trade/ sale value= lost over $100. Used Sig= Hk P7 with Tactikote finish plus nearly $500 cash. This is not some great money making story, it's only a grand or so, but demonstrates Taurus value vs. other handguns out there. I don't feel I can make money on the resale of very many Taurus models out there. Just some food for thought outside of all the other reasons why I would avoid the company. BTW-you can look in my posts to see some of these trades listed to support my claims.
Old July 25, 2008, 10:43 AM   #62
spyderdude

I used to own a Taurus revolver, the 617. Their revolvers seem to be of decent quality, but I question their semi-autos.
Old July 25, 2008, 03:29 PM   #63
boykinhntr

I am not concerned with the resale value of a $300 carry gun......at all. Now if i start getting into higher dollar guns then i will possibly consider it. Usually resale is overhyped when you do the percentages.
Old July 25, 2008, 04:11 PM   #64
cjw3cma

My friend owns a 3rd generation PT145 and I have handled and shot it and cleaned it. It is a quality handgun for its price. It is not a $1,000 gun / it is not a $500 gun. It is a quality $300 gun.

Anyone who wants to spend so much time badmouthing a certain brand of firearm must have their own issues and feel compelled to convince everyone else of their position.

I own a S&W Sigma 40V. I've read so much about what some have to say about this gun; it has worked 100% for me (over 800 rounds down the pipe without a single situation).

To each his/her own. Enjoy your gun / shoot often / clean often.
Old July 25, 2008, 05:30 PM   #65
Ace_Breaker

Quote:
Usually resale is overhyped when you do the percentages.
I'm laughing. Good one!

Quote:
Anyone who wants to spend so much time badmouthing a certain brand of firearm must have their own issues and feel compelled to convince everyone else of their position.
Hmmnnn, isn't your statement a little hypocritical? If it comes down to the life and safety of others I'll speak out, period. It's funny how people get so defensive about that. If you think Sigma and Taurus are great weapons have at it. My point is that there are better weapons that you can get for the same amount of money. My Sig 225 was twice the weapon any Taurus is(in my opinion), more dependable, safer, more reliable, and better resale value.

Quote:
I own a S&W Sigma 40V. I've read so much about what some have to say about this gun; it has worked 100% for me (over 800 rounds down the pipe without a single situation).
You got a Sigma that is reliable?
Old July 25, 2008, 05:38 PM   #66
boykinhntr

Ha ha! Ace you could be the single most annoying troll I have come across. Congrats
Old July 25, 2008, 05:41 PM   #67
Ace_Breaker

That's all you can come up with? Just keep adding fuel to the fire with nothing of substance. Thank you!
Old July 25, 2008, 05:46 PM   #68
Ace_Breaker

Wow Boykin, I just realized that's only your 16th post. I'm sure you will run into somebody more annoying than me in the future!
Old July 25, 2008, 05:54 PM   #69
dawgfvr

Ace Breaker has been a Taurus basher in numerous threads on more than one forum. Of course he bashes Taurus because he is looking out for you; your safety and wellfare are his primary concerns dont-cha-know.

Move out Troll and draw fire.
Old July 25, 2008, 06:23 PM   #70
Ace_Breaker

Quote:
Ace Breaker has been a Taurus basher in numerous threads on more than one forum.
Hey Dawg, this is getting pointless now. What I'd like to see is you placing a link here where I bash Taurus on other forums. The only place I ever bring up Taurus is here on the firing line. What you are suggesting is a straight out lie. You put your money where your mouth is, and prove that, I'll leave this link.
Old July 28, 2008, 09:54 AM   #71
gymheart

Taurus PT 745

Now, this is no bash. It is a list of facts. Call them whatever you choose.

I bought a brand new PT745 because I wanted a thinner big hole maker. I loved the feel of the gun and was happy to pay $400 for it. Then I took it to the range and the following is a list of my findings on the gun.

It shoots very softly for a light weight .45. First thing was the mag started falling out. Found the plastic release worn at the tip allowing it to fall free. Off to Miami. After several weeks and numerous phone calls, it comes back. New, but still plastic mag release. Off to the range.
It started misfiring even with several follow-up strikes. Found the sear broken. Showed it to the "gunsmith" at Caswell shooting range, Mesa, AZ. He pronounced it a piece of sh-- and muscled it and before I could advise him how to re-assemble the slide to the frame, he broke the firing pin. Off to Miami it went. They were kind enough to replace both for free.
Got it back in a few weeks, after boo-koo phone calls. Shot it and it jammed up. The recoil spring had worked it's way out the front of the slide from around the spring guide, locking up the works. Back to Miami. By this time I'm in good with "Mike" and he gets it turned around pronto. Get the gun and notice the spring guide protruding approx 1/8 in. from the front of the slide. Read the paper that came back with the gun and found they had installed the wrong guide rod from a different model gun! The part that floored me was they sent it out knowing full well it wasn't right. So, I took the rod apart, turned on the grinding wheel and shortened the guide a bit at a time until it fit perfectly. Why did I have to do this? So, I took it to the range. It functioned properly. Took it home, put an ad in the paper and sold the gun to the first caller. Needless to say, "never again". Not with my life.....no way. If you like your Taurus, I'm glad to hear that you have a good one. Me, the hassle was just not worth the return.
Before that, had a PT92. The sear pin spring broke and it fired when I closed the slide. If it hadn't stove-piped, it would have cleared the entire mag in my apartment.
Bought the FBI 650, I think, .357 mag. Fired 5 rounds of hot stuff before the cylinder bound up so tight we had to use a rubber mallot to bang it open. Sold the gun right away..again....."never, never, never again".
Old July 28, 2008, 10:13 AM   #72
ImDisaster

Quote:
gymheart said: "never, never, never again".
My dad used to love to say, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." I hate to admit how many times I've been shamed. :-)

Hope I never experience the problems with my PT111 that others have. I don't plan on putting a lot of rounds through it and if I find a suitable replacement (size and ergos) I'd probably sell it too. But for now, it has been reliable and accurate.

Quote:
Acebreaker said: You got a Sigma that is reliable?
See, Acebreaker is an equal opportunity basher. Actually, I've ready only good stuff about S&W Sigma's reliability since the first year of production. I have a friend who hates his, because of the trigger but he can't make it FTF.
Old July 28, 2008, 11:12 AM   #73
Ace_Breaker

Gymheart, thanks for the information. It's good to see people will step up and be honest about their experiences even though there are people here that would not like to hear about them. Mention your experiences again and they are likely to label you as a basher or liar.

ImDisaster, nice of you to chime in once again. How about being different than all the rest and setting the facts straight. I appreciate you doing that once before. When people make absolutely false claims about somebody it goes unnoticed when it's not one of the pro Taurus group. You see there is no response from Dawg because he can't find any other forums(Glocktalk, AR15, etc. where I've said a thing against Taurus). Just to keep up with your perception of me being an equal opportunity basher, I'm ****** at my Kahr right now! I am happy with my Glocks, CZ's, and P7's.
Old July 28, 2008, 02:42 PM   #74
ImDisaster

That was supposed to be a kind hearted poke, Ace. Perhaps I should have added a smiley :-) Seriously, though, Sigmas seem to be unbreakable...too bad they have that awful trigger.

What's going on with your Kahr. Perhaps you should post it in one of the Kahr threads...but maybe you don't want to take more heat. I've read a few things that keep me from buying one, though I love the ergos.
Old July 28, 2008, 08:04 PM   #75
Ace_Breaker

Oh, no problems. I wasn't sure. Sorry about that.

No, I can't start a Kahr problem thread. I have no history or experience with them other than this one. I did start a link asking for information and got some great suggestions. Normally I can fix my handguns and get them to work properly, but the jury is still out on this one. My mags pop out and it has the occasional FTE. It is still probably in the break in phase according to Kahr(they say I should go to 500 rounds). The mag release spring and all that look fine. I've checked hand position while firing. I think it might be my heavy rounds. They hit the mag release when I'm loading and I think maybe it's causing the occasional mag drop while firing, not sure though. My extractor seems fine so I'm hoping the FTE's might just be break in or ammo again. I've got a case of .45 waiting when I get back from vacation so I'll do some testing with different ammo to see if I can work it out. To be honest, my Kahr is my only problematic handgun at this point.