The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 20, 2006, 08:17 AM   #1
bigdaddyred

How much finger

How much finger should be on the trigger?I tend to go past the first joint and I find that i am jerking instead of squeezing the trigger.Can i adjust the trigger?
And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment,
and buy one".
- JESUS, Luke 22:36
Old July 20, 2006, 08:40 AM   #2
Winston007

With the guns you list I would say that the only part of your finger on the trigger should be the first half of your finger tip. This is the most sensitive part and allows for better control.
best
Old July 20, 2006, 09:06 AM   #3
10s&Xs

I've found it varies with the gun, the grips, and the type of trigger, but it's always been somewhere between the first joint and the middle of the fingertip. The goal is to pull the trigger straight back with as little movement of the sights as possible. Try dry firing against a bright background (after making 3X sure it's unloaded) and watch your sights closely. Experiement with finger placement on the trigger and see what position results in the least amount of movement.
Old July 20, 2006, 04:03 PM   #4
KC135

Gold Cup likely has a wider trigger than the TR gun.

IMO, with the bones in the arm, wrist, and gun oll in line, where does the middle of the index finger set on the trigger? On GC?--On TR?? Remember, finger should not be in contact with the frame of the gun!!

Is this a comfortable position? Does the middle of first joint [pad of finger] set on the trigger?

If not, describe where center of the first joint ends up--without the finger touching the frame of the gun, and with arm, wrist, and gun lined up.
Old July 20, 2006, 06:36 PM   #5
TacticalDefense1911

The middle of the pad of your shooting finger. If you have the trigger in your first joint then you are holding to far in on the trigger. There should be a gap between the gun and the palm of your hand right where your trigger finger meets your palm. They actually make a device that will make you keep the proper gap so your finger is in the right place all the time.
Old July 20, 2006, 06:48 PM   #6
Pointer

Middle of first pad...forefinger

Check for a space between the base of the finger and the side of the gun...big enough to slip a pencil into...

Then nothing will interfere with a straight back steady increase in trigger pressure...

30-06 FOREVER
Old July 24, 2006, 08:43 AM   #7
MADISON

How much finger

The book says the pad before the knuckle on your trigger finger.
I tend to use the first knuckle. If I am shooting weak sided/wrong handed I go past the first knuckle foor double action shooting.