The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 1, 2002, 12:14 AM   #1
Rail Gun

Nickle cased ammo as opposed to brass

How does the nickle case effect storage? Can I store it as long as if was brass? What are the pros and cons of nickle?
Old October 1, 2002, 12:24 AM   #2
Walosi

The nickel plated cases are much less prone to corrosion than the unplated cases - both are brass. Brass cases, in constant contact with leather (ammo pouches, etc.) will very quickly begin to corrode. If there is any condensation (just movement from a cool place to a warmer one, in high humidity) the brass can "spot". Notice that the premium loads for PD, etc., are usually loaded in nickel cases - they are expensive, not shot as much, and spend more time in the chambers/magazines/cylinders of the guns they are carried in.
Nickel is harder than brass, and this is most noticeable to reloaders - they "scrape" going through the sizing and necking dies - just a nuisance with carbide dies, but more wear on the tool steel dies.
Old October 1, 2002, 02:13 AM   #3
gunorthopod

nickel plated cases

In my reloading experience,I find the nickel is less malleable than brass and,after relatively few reloads,even with 38spl low pressure loads,they tend to split linearly at the case mouth when seating the bullet in my Dillon 550B.This of course tells us nothing about its qualities in non reloaded factory ammo.
Old October 1, 2002, 07:00 AM   #4
Hutch

IMHO, nickel is also "slicker" than brass, which means easier extraction from revos and more positive ejection from autos.
"First, the freedom to own and carry the weapon of your choice is a natural, fundamental, and inalienable human, individual, civil, and Constitutional right -- subject neither to the democratic process nor to arguments grounded in social utility" -- L. Neil Smith

' I have an [in]alienable right to bear arms. I will exercise my own judgement in their use and accept responsibilty for the consequences' - Oakleaf
Old October 1, 2002, 07:53 AM   #5
ACP230

Nickel may be slicker than unplated brass but some of my autoloaders don't work well with it anyway. I've also had trouble with nickeled brass not holding up as well as regular brass in .45 ACP. In .38 Special and .357 Magnum the nickeled stuff seems to work fine and have a long service life.

Nickeled cases look cool coming out of a subgun's ejection port. I have some .45 ACPs that are only used for subgun loads, just because they look good in photographs. That batch seems to be holding up well so far.
Old October 1, 2002, 10:20 AM   #6
wingman

I toss nickle cases when reloading as other post said it doesnt hold up as
well as brass.
Old October 1, 2002, 12:16 PM   #7
k5blazer

Tried to reload some nickel 38 and just didn't like them. I prefer the brass.
Old October 1, 2002, 04:25 PM   #8
EOD Guy in VA

Might be interesting to ask the manufacturers of Federal Hydra-shok and Speer Gold Dot why they use it. They are certainly quality brands and must have a good reason for preferring it.
Old October 1, 2002, 04:51 PM   #9
Penman

Nickel won't have any effect on storage issues. As Walosi noted, it has advantages in corrosion resistance, an important trait when spare rounds were carried in leather belt loops or drop boxes. Not as much of an issue these days.

My experience in reloading nickel cases in 45 ACP has been somewhat dependent on the brand of the case. I believe the brass in the nickel cases is somewhat thinner to compensate for the thickness of the added plating, and that may account for a reduced reloading life. I think a lot can depend on how much the cases get resized, and how much the case mouths get belled to accept the bullet.

IIRC Federal even had some match .308 ammo that had nickel cases. I think it provides a more impressive appearance for a premium cartridge line.

Use what works best for your needs.
Old October 1, 2002, 05:54 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is just a thought and I have not had this confirmed by an ammo company, but I think that the brass is thinner in nickel plated cases. The external diameter must be kept within specs, the internal diameter can't change a lot and work with the loading equipment, so the brass would have to be thinner to make up for the plating. If true, that would be why the cases don't last as long.

Jim
Old October 1, 2002, 09:14 PM   #11
Maddock

Long ago, I measured some Federal .38 special cases (with the help of my tool and die maker Dad) and the case walls of the plated and plain cases were the same thickness within 2/10,000 of an inch. I was wondering why I was only getting half the life out of the plated cases.
As per my Dad, the plating makes the brass brittle. I think the term is ”hydrogen embrittlement”. As I recall, this is a common concern when any metal is electroplated. My Dad also said that the plating was probably 1/10,000 thick or less.
It's been a long time, but the memory is pretty clear.
Old October 1, 2002, 10:32 PM   #12
19114EVER

I shoot a lot of CCI Blazer 45 ACP in 230gr FMJ. It's cheap and I think it burns a little cleaner than some of the other junk I've run through my 45's. DEATH TO COSMOLINE!!! ACP230 is right, they do look cooler coming out of a gun. They just look a little weird coming out of my older 45's because brass just looks vintage coming out of a vintage pistol. The high finish nickel feels almost soapy it's so slick. Of course, they only come in boxes of 25 now.
Old October 2, 2002, 01:01 PM   #13
jbutenhoff

Yea but...

When picking up the brass I find the strait brass to be much easier to see. The nickel plated ones blend in too well at my range. There are normally some aluminum cases littering the ground that hide the nickel!

Jamie