The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 1, 2002, 12:13 PM   #1
SkaerE

Concealed carry of an AOW?

in Virginia? this is kinda an "interesting idea" more than a realistic option. just want to see if it is legal. might be ok for the truck...or in wintertime

in Virginia, you are allowed to carry a "handgun", it is a handgun permit, not a weapons permit etc.

aparantly a shotgun with a pistol grip and barrel under 18'' is a "smooth-bore pistol" - obviously one that follows other AOW rules as well (NEVER had a stock etc)

this qualify as a "handgun"?

just wondering...
Old October 1, 2002, 12:52 PM   #2
tetchaje

It is legal in Utah, but you definitely need to check your local laws on that one.
Old October 1, 2002, 01:26 PM   #3
Dave R

State laws on this vary widely. My understanding, which may not be accurate, is that in Idaho, you have a Concealed WEAPONS Permit, which allows you to carry any legal weapon, concealed.

Don't try this in CA.
Old October 1, 2002, 08:49 PM   #4
Hkmp5sd

Florida's "Concealed Weapon License" specifically prohibits carrying a machinegun, but makes no reference is AOWs.

NRA Life Member
Old October 1, 2002, 10:38 PM   #5
David Park

If the AOW is defined as a handgun under VA law, you should be OK. However, VA Code § 18.2-299 includes:
"Sawed-off' shotgun" applies to any weapon, loaded or unloaded, originally designed as a shoulder weapon, utilizing a self-contained cartridge from which a number of ball shot pellets or projectiles may be fired simultaneously from a smooth or rifled bore by a single function of the firing device and which has a barrel length of less than eighteen inches for smooth bore weapons and sixteen inches for rifled weapons. Weapons of less than .225 caliber shall not be included.

You might argue that the Serbu Super-Shorty was not "originally designed as a shoulder weapon", but I doubt that would fly in court. You can always write the Attorney General and ask. If you do, ask him where I can get one of those sawed-off .22 shotguns.

BTW, even though registered silencers and full-auto handguns are legal in Virginia, I'm pretty sure they are illegal to carry even with a permit. I just can't find the cite at the moment.

edit:
"Handgun" is defined in several parts of the VA Code as "any pistol or revolver or other firearm originally designed, made and intended to fire a projectile by means of an explosion from one or more barrels when held in one hand." However, in the CCW law, handgun is defined as "any pistol or revolver or other firearm, except a machine gun, originally designed, made and intended to fire a projectile by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand" (emphasis added). The Super Shorty is still a judgment call, depending on whether it's designed to be used one-handed or two-handed (it does need to be pumped, after all).

Also, silenced pistols are considered "assault firearms" and cannot be carried in urban areas (§18.2-287.4) or by aliens (§18.2-308.2:01).

Last edited by David Park; October 1, 2002 at 11:01 PM.
Old October 2, 2002, 07:33 AM   #6
KAMPILAN

Not entirely too sure of the particular statute, but there is one that prohibits the "offensive" use of a machine gun (although personally idon't think that MGs are offensive at all. They're actually kinda fun )b but does not reference AOWs IIRC. I'd check on packing.org......