The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: If you were reduced to one handgun, which would it be?
Single action revolver 28 30.43%
Semi auto pistol 64 69.57%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 10, 2001, 07:27 PM   #1
Dogger

Single Action revolver or semi-auto?

Another silly poll but I couldn't resist...

If you were reduced to just one handgun, would it be a single action revolver or a semi-auto pistol? Defend your choice and name your caliber.
Old August 10, 2001, 07:36 PM   #2
alamo

I would say revolver but you specified single action so I would say a Glock 26 or Glock 27. I wouldn't want to have as my only gun a single action revolver.
Old August 10, 2001, 08:22 PM   #3
Hellfire.45

My Glock 21, totally reliable, has never failed to fire.
Old August 10, 2001, 08:34 PM   #4
CZ_

I'd choose a .45 ACP semi-auto. Because my CZ 97B has been reliable and near match grade accurate, that is what I would keep.
Old August 10, 2001, 08:37 PM   #5
Ronin 99

I would have said revolver also if we weren't limited to single action. Have to go with my HK P7M13 extremely accurate and hi-cap as well but then there's that Les Baer Premier II,sitting in the safe. Big holes get it done.
Ronin
Old August 10, 2001, 09:06 PM   #6
Fatcat

Single action all the way. Don't need none of those wimpy autoloader cartridges when you've got a .44 or a .45 LC. And I don't think FTF is in a SA revolver's dictionary. I certainly have never seen one, unless it's bad ammo.

My personal choice would be my Ruger SBH. Just gotta chop it down to 6".
Old August 10, 2001, 10:11 PM   #7
blades67

SIG Sauer P220 .45 acp. No need to defend my choice.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old August 10, 2001, 10:14 PM   #8
Archie

A good single action is...

just more versatile.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old August 11, 2001, 02:13 AM   #9
rugerfreak

Ruger Super Blackhawk------I have 2. If I were limited to only one??? .44 mag all the way!!!!!
Old August 11, 2001, 03:09 AM   #10
PreserveFreedom

Gimme a 44 Magnum Ruger Vaquero please.

Old August 11, 2001, 03:18 AM   #11
denfoote

Single action revolvers were good for their day. With the advent of the Luger, (Not the 1911, the Luger was first. ) all that changed. The SSA became obsolete over night!! I would choose an auto over a SSA any day!!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old August 11, 2001, 04:26 AM   #12
Herr Walther

Well, when (if) Walther ever produces the Big Bore 1911 style pistol, that's the one I would chose. Untill then, the H&K USP45 Tactical will suffice.

I don't think this auto-loader needs any defending.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old August 11, 2001, 03:13 PM   #13
Jack Carson

I'll cheat and keep both!!

It's true that the semi-auto is the ruling king of self defense handguns and that is what I carry almost every day. However, my single-actions are like members of my family! I'll not part with my .44s and .45s. They look and feel great, shoot great and gladly digest any ammo.

Besides, I just look so damn handsome horseback wearing my El Paso Saddlery rig with Colt SAA. My wife thinks so too

I'll keep 'em all.
Old August 11, 2001, 04:15 PM   #14
Dakota Law Dog

I'd take a single action, possibly my Blackhawk convertible in .45 colt/.45 ACP, cuz it still has power, I can still shoot Cowboy Action, and you didn't say nuthin' about limiting my rifles!

Bill Oglesby said it, and said it right, the Single Action Revolver is the fastest firing handgun in the world, because you can make it fire as fast as you can cycle the cylinder. On Semis, you have to wait for the action to cycle before you fire again. I've seen it done, SA is faster shot to shot.

Thank God we don't have to make this decision. I'd miss my Kimber, Glocks, and P90! (and a bunch of others I got too!)
Old August 11, 2001, 05:18 PM   #15
Ewok_Guy

I believe that, Law Dog. I can empty my SA revolver into a chest size target at 10 yards in 2 seconds. Doubt an auto can do it that fast.

---------------------
" I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise!
...and sometimes they never get up."
-Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Old August 11, 2001, 05:36 PM   #16
AC

Dakota Law Dog, When you say SAs are the fastest I assume you are speaking of someone like Bob Munden who cocks with a different finger of his hand for each of the first three shots. I've seen film of this and it is indeed impressive, but I have some questions.

Can he do this with full charge ammo? Single actions roll quite a bit with other than Cowboy loads.

Can anyone else do this?

Do you think Ed McGivern was proficient with a single action? I ask because he couldn't come close to his DA times with the SA. If memory serves he fired five from the SA in about one second (clock starting at the first shot).

Ewok_guy, Anyone proficient with a DA revolver or semiauto can fairly easily achieve 1/4 second split times and hit what they are shooting at at seven yards. Get someone to lend you a timer sometime, it is enlightening, not to disparage Law Dog as he is much faster than me with a single action by your report.
Old August 11, 2001, 05:46 PM   #17
Ewok_Guy

BTW, this is starting holstered (hammer down of course and hand off butt) -
I prefer to not cheat.

---------------------
" I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise!
...and sometimes they never get up."
-Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez

Last edited by Ewok_Guy; August 12, 2001 at 11:58 AM.
Old August 13, 2001, 07:57 AM   #18
WIL TERRY

SA OR AN AUTOLOADER?

Single Action sixgun. hands down. No other choise under these parameters.

in 45COLT.
Old August 13, 2001, 12:26 PM   #19
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I believe that, Law Dog. I can empty my SA revolver into a chest size target at 10 yards in 2 seconds. Doubt an auto can do it that fast.

If you've shot any IPSC or IDPA, you'll find that doing 6 shots in under two seconds isn't unattainable with a Semi-auto, hitting the target, from the holster, hands at your side, etc. That's fast with any gun, but any number of shooters can do it.

But in almost every case, its the shooter and NOT the gun that makes the difference. Some folks are just FAST.
Old August 13, 2001, 11:14 PM   #20
Arizona Fusilier

I guess I'd keep my Sig P220 as well. Self-defense is the imperative; anything I do with a single-action revolver I can do with a sharpened stick.

Wait a minute! How many knives did you leave me with?
Old August 14, 2001, 03:30 AM   #21
Dakota Law Dog

I've seen Bill Oglesby do it too.

I also have Munden on tape, where even when you slow down the tape to crawl speed, it goes so fast for two shots that you still can hardly see it.

This gets to be somewhat of an apples/oranges debate. Comparing a SA with full loads to an IPSC racegun, or whatever.

What I'm saying is, as fast as a man can cycle the action on a SA, it will go. There is always a delay (however minute) in an autos action waiting for it to cycle and lock up.
Old August 15, 2001, 10:56 AM   #22
adam3

I would choose a glock 36 .45 automatic. Large caliber rounds, small, easy to conceal size, three safteys, all automatic, and inside the pistol. So no fumbling with swiches when it's time to shoot or be shot.
Old August 16, 2001, 10:26 AM   #23
Red Label

I have to disagree with an above post that stated that SA firearms are obsolete. I used to feel that way. I wouldn't own any gun that wasn't black and semi-automatic. Then one day (after many stovepipes and other assorted jams and FTF's) I woke up on the other side of the fence. I bought a DA revolver and loved it. Eventually I intend to aquire SA revolvers in .357, .45LC, and .44 mag. And then I'm goin' all-out for lever action big bores like the 444 marlin, 450 marlin, and of course the 45-70 government.

I was nearly faced with this same question just recently, due to some financial difficulties. And I had chosen to keep my DA .44mag and sell everything else if I had to. Even if it had been a SA revolver, I would have kept it over the other semi-autos that I own.

A large bore bullet will do some serious damage to a body regardless of the firearm from whence it came. And since almost ALL well-aimed and fired guns are capable of stopping or slowing down a threat, I am opting for the ones that I like the look, feel and history of the best. Believe me, when I am packing a large bore revolver around I do NOT feel insecure because I cannot spray and pray. I intend to avoid the conlicts with biker gangs, drug gangs, rebel guerilla troups, etc. I'd do that even if I was packing a full-auto around.

Lots of hair splitting on internet forums. Carry whatever you like and feel confident with...
Old August 16, 2001, 11:19 AM   #24
high_caliber

Ruger Blackhawk Bisley in 45 Colt.
Old August 22, 2001, 03:22 AM   #25
355sigfan

My glock 31 would be my choice 16 rounds of 357 mag power is a easy to carry package.
PAT