The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 8, 2024, 07:55 AM   #1
bnaz

New S&W 638 upgrading rear sight

I have a new S&W 638. It's a great pocket gun and lots of fun to shoot. I would like to upgrade the rear sight on this one. Looks like I will need a Gunsmith for this. Any recommendations on a good sight, some type of V. Simple is better. Thanks.
Old March 8, 2024, 09:24 AM   #2
DT Guy

Since your revolver, like many J-frames, has it's sights integrally milled into the frame (rear) and barrel (front), changes won't be easy.

A good gunsmith could certainly insert and secure a rear sight into a milled notch where the existing tunnel sight is, or perhaps weld and re-machine a 'V' sight, but since the frame of that gun is aluminum, both would be rather specialized work.

I have a 642 and have investigated getting the front sight swapped for something better (i.e., not silver and small) and finally decided the smartest plan would be to buy a different gun. Swapping sights on these aluminum J-frames is just complex, and therefore expensive.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old March 8, 2024, 12:36 PM   #3
Super Sneaky Steve

Don't bother with upgrading the sights. Just sell the gun or buy another with good sights in mind. There are lots of good options. if you prefer S&W they have some new "Ultimate Carry" revolvers that come with replaceable sights if you should desire.
Old March 8, 2024, 02:27 PM   #4
2damnold4this

It isn't ideal but you can try using a black marker to black out the parts of the rear sight that face you.
Old March 8, 2024, 04:49 PM   #5
DaleA

Welcome to the forum.

There's lots of good information here from a lot of folk that really do know their stuff AND they are polite and civil.

If several posters agree on something, like it would be difficult to mount a new rear sight on your handgun and not really worth the effort, you can pretty much assume they are correct.

That said, there is a lot of respect for the 'you do you' philosophy here so it's your gun, go ahead and do what you want and if you do add the sight I'd be interested, so come back and post a picture.
Old March 9, 2024, 08:42 AM   #6
Nathan

You can spend like $400+ for machining to put in FR and RR Sghts in.

I have to ask is it worth that to you?

What do you want from your sights?

For example. I have a S&W 340. It uses an XS Big Dot. This could be gunsmithed in for $200 or so.
Old March 9, 2024, 09:46 AM   #7
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnaz View Post
I have a new S&W 638. It's a great pocket gun and lots of fun to shoot. I would like to upgrade the rear sight on this one. Looks like I will need a Gunsmith for this. Any recommendations on a good sight, some type of V. Simple is better. Thanks.
I could be wrong but I think you’d have to change front sights too since height wise the original sight is somewhat calibrated for the gutter sight and would probably be too short for an adjustable sight. Basically you could be opening an expensive can of worms and wind up with a gun you don’t like and would have to sell at a loss since people can tend to be reluctant to buy guns that have been messed with and are probably some nightmare you’re trying to get rid of.
Old March 12, 2024, 09:46 AM   #8
Drm50

I use to get into similar situations. Wanting sights that would allow me target accuracy out of a pocket gun. Think about what gun is for. I came to conclusion that I didn’t need sights at all for the mission gun was intended for. Anything extra on the gun just adds snagging
hazards.
I have done two S&W J frame 32s and finished a 1905HE that someone else had started.
This kind of work will cost big bucks. I did everything myself basically with hand tools, I had no mill. This was after I got quote from smith. I did 4” 32s that were beaters cosmetically. If I was to do another I would start with a very nice specimen, worth all the effort.
Old March 14, 2024, 03:13 PM   #9
V-fib

on my carry (s&w 642), I blacked out the V notch rear sight and painted the front sight blaze orange. However, in a self defense situation having a CT laser grip on my carry is for me the best option.