The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 15, 2007, 12:52 AM   #1
arcticap

CVA .50 Double Rifle?

I went to a gunshow and a local vendor had very nice, lightly used CVA .50 double rifle that he said was acquired from an estate. I didn't realize that CVA had ever even made one, and while it was heavy, it appeared to be well made. For the right person with a need and who doesn't mind carrying that much weight, the $425 price tag seemed like a real bargain. But was the original list price actually over $800 as the seller claimed?
The barrels shared a single sight, the gun had a broad shallow forend resembling a side by side shotgun, and it probably weighed over 10 pounds. I also noticed that the muzzle of each barrel was shaped like a wedding band. Has anyone ever seen or shot one of these older CVA double rifles before?
Old April 15, 2007, 10:50 AM   #2
Molasses

Direct quote from Guns Illustrated 1989, Black Powder Muskets & Rifles section:
Quote:
CVA Express Rifle
Caliber: 50 (.490" ball).
Barrel: 28", round.
Weight: 9 lbs.
Stock: Walnut-stained hardwood.
Sights: Bead and post front, adjustable rear.
Features: Double rifle with twin percussion locks and triggers. Hooked breech. Introduced 1985. From CVA.
Price: Finished.........$362.95
Price: Kitt...............$301.95
Price: Presentation Express (hand-checkered stock, engraved and polished locks, hammers, tang)....$742.95
FWIW, that same issue of Guns Illustrated also shows CVA's .50 O/U muzzleloading double rifle (listed at $441.95) and the Kodiak double was available from Trail Guns Armory (listed at $549.50).

I've seen a few of the CVA doubles at gun shows. Usually priced at more than I'm willing to go on them. As you can see from the old listing, the only original list price close to the neighborhood your gun show vendor quoted was for the gussied-up variant. As for the price he was asking on that one...
Old April 19, 2007, 12:05 AM   #3
arcticap

Here's some nice pictures of one that's currently up for auction:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=7916779