The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 9, 2006, 04:37 PM   #1
Wingbone

Is 3" the same as magnum?

Gentlemen,
Are all 3" shells magnum? I have shotguns that are stamped 3" chambers but say nothing about magnum. My 870 police magnum is stamped " 2 3/4 and 3inch shells in magnum recievers, 2 3/4 in all others". So are there non magnum 3" shells? Is it safe to shoot magnum shells in a gun stamped 3" chamber? Thanks for your help,
Ken
Old January 9, 2006, 05:22 PM   #2
mete

Shells come in various lengths as do shotgun chambers. The standard ones now are for 12 ga 2 3/4", 3" and 3 1/2". You may use shorter shells in a longer chamber such as a 2 3/4" shell in a 3" chamber but not the other way around. The term 'Magnum" is unneccessary in fact for the 2 3/4" there are many loads of different pressures from light target to full field loads, some are even labeled short magnums.The other obsolete term is 'High bass" or "low Base" which are now meaningless.In your case the 870 "magnum" refers to the 3" chamber.
Old January 9, 2006, 05:35 PM   #3
Ruger4570

Thank you Mete, you saved me a lot of typing
Old January 9, 2006, 05:52 PM   #4
Wingbone

So if I understand correctly, any shotgun that has a 3" chamber can handle all 3" shells weather the box says magnum or not? Im sorry if I sound ignorant on the subject but it seems confusing the way the guns are stamped and the way the shells are labeled. Sorry to repeat, but if 1 box says 3" 12 ga. and the other says 3" Mag. 12ga., they are the same? Thanks again,
Ken
Old January 9, 2006, 05:57 PM   #5
Wingbone

Mete,
You mention high and low bass/base. Do you mean brass? I am going to start shooting at a range that only allows low brass. I always thought low brass meant lower pressure. What am I missing?
Ken
Old January 9, 2006, 06:12 PM   #6
9mmMike

When you read that Rem barrel, keep in mind that Remington used the term "Magnum" to differentiate their 3" guns from the 2 3/4" guns. In fact, all 870's that are chambered for 3" shells end with an M in the serial. The M is for Magnum. This has caused much confusion.
I generally just say "two and three quarter" or "three inch" gun when I am talking about 870's.
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old January 9, 2006, 06:43 PM   #7
Twycross

Quote:
if 1 box says 3" 12 ga. and the other says 3" Mag. 12ga., they are the same?
Yes.
Old January 9, 2006, 07:32 PM   #8
Ruger4570

The whole thing gets confusing to the beginner (and experienced). There are a lot of terms used that either don't make sense or seem contradictory or today, pretty much meaningless.
There are HIGH BASE and LOW BASE and high BRASS and LOW BRASS shells. There are Magnums and non magnums. High Brass has to do with the height of the brass on the outside of the shell at the base of the shell, High base has to do with the interior base wad INSIDE the shell. Magnum generally refers to the shot load,not the neccesarily the power of the shell. High brass and high base are shells those that use very dense powders that don't occupy a lot of space to acheive the velocities. The brass is virtually useless on a shell. it is too thin to ever provide any support or serve any function other than decoration. You can buy 2 3/4inch magnum shells, 3" and 3 1/2" magnums. The word magnum is pretty much an abused word with no "standards" of proof so to speak. I know I would prefer shooting a 2 3/4" magnum to any 3 1/2 inch "non magnum" shells. I hope this helps clarify the "mud"