The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 27, 2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Mokumbear

Proper lubrication of ramp...

I have read that, in general, lubrication should be applied very sparingly.
(In my case I use a CLP product).

The reasoning being that excess lubrication attracts dust, etc.

Should the feed ramp be fairly well lubricated to prevent feed problems?

I remember this being discussed on "Cops". Please don't laugh, I try to learn wherever I can!

How often and how much would you lubricate this part if the gun has not been used
since the last cleaning to help promote proper feeding?
Old October 27, 2006, 11:11 AM   #2
mete

Learned on TV ??? Give me a break !! I've never lubed the feed ramp on any gun ! Just clean off any copper or lead smears. I have however polished many of mine and others. Some think it has to be mirror polished which is nonsense , all you need is 400 grit polish.
Old October 27, 2006, 11:51 AM   #3
Mokumbear

Ok...

Now admittedly, I don't remember if the Cop in question was talking about
keeping the ramp very clean or lubed.

I still think this is a valid question...

Obviously, I am looking for knowledgeable advice and that's why I am
asking here on the forum.

I don't see why the opinion of a police officer, whether in person or
on TV shouldn't be given some thought. After all, their life depends on their firearms working properly and I am sure they discuss them quite a bit.
Old October 27, 2006, 12:18 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

No. Never lubricate your feed ramp.

It should be polished smooth.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 27, 2006, 12:24 PM   #5
Tom2

Yea polish it

They say you don't need a super polished ramp, but I use Cratex rubber bits and a Dremel tool and polish the feedramps to a mirror shine. Then finish up with red rouge and a little buffing wheel. You want to polish it, not wear away steel! Or change the contour. As far as I am concerned, it looks nice, you won't be cleaning off any brass streaks, as it is too slick to wear any off, and it allows you to see if it is clean easily. Obviously it improves feeding over a dull rough ramp too. Alot harder to do on a gun without a removable barrel, though. Easy to do on say, a 45 auto. But perhaps that should be considered part of an overall reliability package, like making sure the chamber is smooth if not mirror like, and then the breech face is smooth, and the extractor is contoured correctly, etc. Consider a gunsmith for that. But it can't hurt anything to just do the ramp, unless you screw it up. BTW most cops are not firearms experts. Maybe their armorers are.

Last edited by Tom2; October 27, 2006 at 12:26 PM. Reason: add note
Old October 27, 2006, 02:05 PM   #6
PSP

I see nothing wrong with using one of the very proficient dry lubes on the market now, such as Eezox or Mil Tec. Some manufacturers even advise a thin coat of lube in the chamber and barrel, the operative word here is thin. Having a wet breech area can lead to oil seeping into the chamber in unwanted quantities and that would be a bad thing.

Remember, your firearm will and should operate with zero lubrication. A little lube goes a long way...thin is beautiful.
Old October 27, 2006, 02:13 PM   #7
Axion

I personally treat the slide ramp just like the inside of the barrel. This means that, as per the sig owners manual, I apply a light coating of oil and then wipe it down with a different cloth so that it's "dry".
Old October 27, 2006, 02:16 PM   #8
solz56

Quote:
I personally treat the slide ramp just like the inside of the barrel. This means that, as per the sig owners manual, I apply a light coating of oil and then wipe it down with a different cloth so that it's "dry".
That's what I've been doing with my HK and SA and neither have had any feeding issues.
Colt 1911 Gov't .45
Old October 27, 2006, 06:34 PM   #9
johnbt

I've overlubed everything for 40+ years with no problems.

Hey, it's sub-tropical in the Mid-Atlantic and stuff rusts. (FBI Career site: Washington D.C.’s weather... is seasonal subtropical with variations between summer and winter.) Even though Richmond is 100 miles from the ocean the James River is tidal downtown.

John
Old October 27, 2006, 07:32 PM   #10
BigJimP

I have polished ramps on all my semi-autos and the biggest thing is to keep them clean. Personally, I belive in cleaning the gun after every time you shoot it. Relying on a dirty gun to perform makes no sense to me.

Excess lube is a relative term - I lube the slide, barrel, bushing, etc a little - and a little bit of clp on my finger touches the ramp as well. I wouldn't put a lot of lube on the ramp - if you're in a real dusty environment it would be a bad thing. But in general, a little bit is ok in my opinion.
Old October 27, 2006, 08:17 PM   #11
oldbillthundercheif

If you were to spray a little graphite-juice on that feed-ramp it could not hurt. Just spray it, let it dry, and wipe off the excess residue. My 1911s love this stuff.
Old October 27, 2006, 08:27 PM   #12
Sarge

Quote:
I've overlubed everything for 40+ years with no problems.
JBT
Me too.

Oil it; use 15-40 Rotella if you want. The first round up that slick feedramp will evict any oily little dust-bunnies that might have chosen that spot for a homestead, and the blowback from the ejecting round will render the whole issue irrelevant in a microsecond, anyhow.
Old October 27, 2006, 09:28 PM   #13
Mokumbear

+1

I am with you on that.

It would be unthinkable for me to shoot and not give the gun a thorough cleaning later, at home.

Between my stainless fetish, and cleaning, my 20+ year old guns look like new as a reult!
Old October 27, 2006, 09:34 PM   #14
mete

TV forensics -- just happened to channel surf to a forensic program .The deceased was shot in the aorta with a 22lr. The bullet then went into the femoral artery and continued through the artery down to the anklel !!! can someone in the medical field comment on this please !
Old October 28, 2006, 09:25 AM   #15
HSMITH

I coat the entire inside of the gun with oil or grease, and that includes the feed ramp. Keeps fouling soft and runs great. Cleaning goes from a chore to a couple minutes to wipe them out and re-oil or grease.

My SD or carry guns are basically dry, just enough lube to run well. They aren't going to get shot (hopefully) any time soon so I don't worry about keeping fouling soft.

For a range gun glop it up and slosh it around, it really is a better way to do it.
Old October 30, 2006, 03:14 PM   #16
frankxd

I pretty much wipe all of the metal surfaces (inside and out) including the feed ramp with Breakfree, then wipe it off with a dry cloth.
Old October 31, 2006, 10:59 PM   #17
King_chin0

I use break free for my 1911, and the same here, I treat my ramp like the inside of the barrel, and spray it clean it, and just wipe the oil off, it never hurts to oil the ramp, the only way it will attract much dust is if you use gun grease, like the Wilson Grease, but I'm boutta go polish my ramp, haha, everyone is making me jealous with a pretty ramp ,

as for mete,
yes that can happen, 22lr travel in the body and that they are infamous to richochet, I am sure you know that, but my friends cousin was killed that way, he was shot in the ankle and it richochet up and pierced his heart and went to an artery and traveled into his brain
Old October 31, 2006, 11:09 PM   #18
swmike

Unless you are in the military and deployed to a combat area that is mostly blowing dust, sand, and assorted fine airborne grits, go ahead and oil away. If you don't want the action to foul with a mixture of oil and fine [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] then cut down on the lube or use a dri-lube like graphite.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old October 31, 2006, 11:19 PM   #19
atblis

I've always wondered

why not Titanium nitride coated, as well as some other parts?
Old November 1, 2006, 12:56 AM   #20
LoadIt

I was watching cops a while back when the police went in after a suspected drug dealer that ended up having a Tec-9 pistol. One officer told me, the viewer, "This here is a very nasty weapon". The officer picked it up, didn't bother to check if it was loaded, and showed it to the camera with his finger on the trigger. Another officer noticed the same things I did, took the pistol away from "Officer Fife" and proceded to clear the LOADED pistol. So don't always take what you see on Cops as gospel.

Oh yeah, I wipe the feedramp with a damp patch along with the rest of the frame before reassembly. I never "oil" the feedramp.
Old November 1, 2006, 02:17 AM   #21
BusGunner007

Proper lubrication of ramp...

Yeah...
I had a girl like that once.: