The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 8, 2005, 05:46 PM   #26
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

On another note, best thing to do if someone throws you a handgun is to let it go. We lost a great guy here in town over something like this. He tried to catch a falling handgun and suffered a bullet through the head.

Other than a handgun that's been unsafely modified, it's almost impossible for a dropped handgun to discharge.
Old March 8, 2005, 07:30 PM   #27
Edison Carter

DO NOT GRAB A FALLING GUN!

Well, that said....

Bills and lost wages aside, I just can't believe he will be "FINE".

What are the medical bills up to now?

EC
Old March 8, 2005, 07:36 PM   #28
Derius_T

I'm the most non-sueing person alive, but in this case.....sue his butt off.

A quick question.....was that his gun hand that got shot? Will he ever shoot with it again? Will the hand ever work right again? If that is his 'main' hand and will never be 100%, you are looking at SERIOUS money....

Hope it all turns out ok.
Old March 8, 2005, 07:44 PM   #29
USP45usp

Cool, I first read about the dangers of trying to catch a falling gun either here or on the other board. Something that I've always kept in the back of my head (better the thought then a bullet IMNSHO).

It's human nature to try to catch whatever is being thrown to you. It's a defense reflex, the same as dropping things, which was more likely a reactive reflex.

This was just plain STUPID and I grew up in the South and I've seen the aftermath of many a "Hey ya'll, hold my beer and watch this" but even most of them were smart enough not to do so with a firearm (I did see them shoot drunk though but luckly with no accidents or such except for lead deer dogs).

If I were your friend that this happened to, I would still be pissed (highly) about this and suing would make it feel alittle better.

Wayne

(Whoever has "Stupidity should be painful" in their sig line, it is, but in this case it affected the wrong person)
Old March 8, 2005, 07:49 PM   #30
Rojoe67

I too am glad your friend will recover. I would hope a young, stern, seeking reelection prosecutor gets the land lord in a pair of legal vice grips and locks down and makes him pay in all ways legal and fitting.... The dude should never touch another firearm as long as he lives..... IDIOT
Old March 8, 2005, 09:33 PM   #31
Fred Hansen

Quote:
This has got to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard of anyone doing.
My thoughts exactly.

I hope your friend has a speedy recovery.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old March 8, 2005, 11:17 PM   #32
Shamus

I do hope your buddy recovers quickly and equally important, I hope the Mods leave the pic's right where they are and this thread open.

There is no better lesson than the visual of what ignorance will do.
Old March 8, 2005, 11:34 PM   #33
foogoo

Is there any indiction of what the neighbor's intention in even tossing the gun to him was?? I've heard of some stupid things but this one is beyond belief...

Good luck to your friend and hope he gets through this well (physically and legally).
Old March 9, 2005, 12:14 AM   #34
G56

If that guy is his upstairs neighbor, he needs to move, that guy is so extremely negligent that another accident might kill someone in a nearby appartment.
Old March 9, 2005, 01:14 AM   #35
Lone Star

This sounds exceedingly strange, unless the hammer was cocked. What sort of gun was this, make and model?

Lone Star
Old March 9, 2005, 01:23 AM   #36
chris in va

So everyone says not to catch a thrown/falling handgun. Now if it was say...a 1911 or revolver with a light trigger and it hit the grip from a good height, could the inertia in the trigger cause it to release the hammer?
Old March 9, 2005, 01:39 AM   #37
Sir William

Is there a news link to a story? I would like to know what the angle is. The media bias aside, I wonder how the local DA is going to charge the firearms owner.
Old March 9, 2005, 08:18 AM   #38
BluesBear

Location: Mill Creek, Washington (The Great Pacific NorthWet)
Quote:
Now if it was say...a 1911 or revolver with a light trigger and it hit the grip from a good height, could the inertia in the trigger cause it to release the hammer?
With a pree series 80 1911 pattern pistol the hammer would just fall to half-cock. On a series 80 style the firing pin block would also prevent the discharge.

With a modern double action revolver of the Colt and S&W design the hammer would fall harmlessly against the hammer block or frame.

In a Ruger style single action with a transfer bar the hammer would also impact only the frame.

In a original Colt style single action the hammer should be stopped by the loading notch or the quarter cock notch. Be aware that if the Colt style hits the ground with enough force the tip of the trigger, which is the sear, can break off and the gun can fire.

All of this is dependent upon there being NO PRESSURE on the trigger.

You pulla de trigger... she goesa BOOM!

The "Fashion Calibers" seem to come and go but when all is said and done everybody comes back to the forty-five.
(Chris Curino - Kimber Mfg. Co.)

Old March 9, 2005, 08:57 AM   #39
accordingtome

Andrew did this happen in our hood..?? i didn't see it in the paper. Im glad your friend is cool.. that could have been ten times worse
Old March 9, 2005, 11:48 AM   #40
Happy trigger

this is so bad
What the f.... happens with the neighboard how they trow a loaded and cook wapon

I do hope your friends recovers quickly the injuries

i know is an accident but this is to much
Old March 9, 2005, 12:03 PM   #41
HighVelocity

Holy Cow Your friend is so lucky his injuries weren't worse. I am pretty forgiving but in this case I think I would have to send that landlord to the poorhouse.
Old March 11, 2005, 03:47 AM   #42
Andrew LB

Quote:
This sounds exceedingly strange, unless the hammer was cocked. What sort of gun was this, make and model?

Lone Star
It was a .357 magnum. Not sure which model. And yes.... it was cocked.

The guy tosses it when my friend wasn't expecting him to pull a gun out of the dresser and said "its cocked and loaded" as it was in mid air.

Quote:
Andrew did this happen in our hood..?? i didn't see it in the paper. Im glad your friend is cool.. that could have been ten times worse
Yep. Just off Termino and Roswell (or is it Ransom?) street. Right around the corner from the Hospital by the Traffic Circle.
Old March 11, 2005, 02:12 PM   #43
SemperFi Wireguy

I'm not sure which would bring me more satisfaction, suing him or just beating the piss out of him once I healed.
Old March 11, 2005, 02:18 PM   #44
dasmi

Sue him. I am hardly ever for sueing, but this guy needs to be ruined for what he did.
Old March 11, 2005, 03:44 PM   #45
sean85746

No such thing as an "accidental" discharge...

ANY discharge of a firearm when it is not intentionally fired at the target..is a NEGLIGENT discharge!

I hope to heaven your friend comes through this okay!

When I was still a deputy, before I went to the Dark Side and became a fed...I nearly lost a kneecap when a ranking deputy negligently discharged his new PPK/S through he wall of his office. The moron admitted he liked to "practice" aiming at his wall mirror!

The bullet came through a thin partition wall and lodged itself in the arm of the "institutional green" naugahide sofa I was sitting on.

If you ran a string from the hole in the wall to where the bullet lodged...it cleared my kneecap by less than half an inch!

So, I am kinda sensitive to the so-called "accidental dishcarge".
Old March 11, 2005, 03:53 PM   #46
XavierBreath

I have rarely heard of an act this stupid.

I would consider, along with a civil suit, investingating whether charges could be brought for an assault with a deadly weapon. Some type of felony involving a weapon. This ignorant SFB should never be allowed to own a firearm again.

Wow! I'm still reeling over this stupidity.

And guys, saying that the fellow pulled the trigger does not absolve the tosser idiot from a dadgummed thing.

I've seen people eat blowfish to see if it really paralyzes their trachea, but this tops even that!
Old March 11, 2005, 04:01 PM   #47
VirgilCaine

Geez...hate to sound like a skeptic, but it seems like there has to be a little more to this story, like booze or maybe they got the story together before the cops came. Such a strange thing.

glad he's ok. And i mean no disrespect.
Old March 11, 2005, 05:32 PM   #48
mmike87

You're friend won't get kicked out - he'll own the building.
Rock River M4gery
Old March 11, 2005, 06:37 PM   #49
Nnobby45

On TLC I saw an Emergency in the ER episode where a young young woman reached into her glove box and somehow discharged a .357. There wasn't much left of her hand to put back together. It must have been cocked, as near as I can surmise. Your friend was lucky in that respect.

A modern revolver won't discharge if the hammer drops from the cocked position without the trigger being pulled, as Al Thompson points out. The trigger will beat the hammer to the forward position and the safety bar will block the complete hammer fall. Draw your own conclusions.
Old March 11, 2005, 07:26 PM   #50
armed samurai

that guy is an idiot! i have heard of stupid things before, but this one seems to take the cake. hope your friend recovers physically and mentaly. but i am sure that he can take some comfort in the fact that there is a large chunk of change waiting for him.

armed samurai