The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

View Poll Results: Will you consider buying Taurus instead of other makes?
Yes 92 55.09%
No 75 44.91%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 13, 2007, 09:05 PM   #51
Qwiks draw

Longevity and dureability are bywords in the Taurus stable.

Many members here, at THR, and at Taurusarmed.net forums have model 689,669,85,65,66, Raging Bulls, and even Trackers and other related Taurus brethren that have lasted several decades or more.

Not only are these all still up and running, but are still giving good service.

Even at other forums owners are speaking up and telling the same story.

And yes, there are those who have had their problems. The media and forums have also documented the fact the other brands from other companies have had their share of troubles too.

This does not condemn the brands at all.
I take it the naysayers are not reading the facts and history presented here that accentuate the positive or they would not be so vehement in their denial of the truth.

Then, there are those who will argue over anything just to cause trouble because they "just can".
Old June 13, 2007, 09:58 PM   #52
Wildalaska

Qwiks I see your a Mod over on the Taurus board

WildistandbymyearliercommentsandidonthaveanaxetogrindAlaska
Old June 13, 2007, 10:35 PM   #53
Foofer

I'm with Ivory Grips. My main ccw will be a Taurus model 85. It's every bit as reliable as anything else on the market IMO.
Old June 13, 2007, 11:16 PM   #54
chilie23

already got one
Old June 14, 2007, 12:41 AM   #55
OneShotOnly!

I would like to own a Taurus if have SW COLT and Ruger, but over them I dont see how so many folks chose Taurus.
Old June 14, 2007, 07:43 AM   #56
Jkwas

Quote:
would like to own a Taurus if have SW COLT and Ruger, but over them I dont see how so many folks chose Taurus
Because they work. I know many people who have them and I don't know one personally who has had a problem. I think these boards amplify the negative. Around here they are very popular as carry guns. Mine function every bit as good as my Ruger and Smiths.
Old June 14, 2007, 10:00 AM   #57
BoneDigger

Yes

I presently have three Taurus handguns and two Smith and Wessons.

Taurus PT145 Mil Pro (3rd gen.)
Taurus M44, .44 Magnum
Taurus Tracker .22LR
Taurus 605 (gone now, but not forgotten)
Taurus Gaucho (also gone but not forgotten)

and

S&W 686-2, .357 snub
S&W 642-2, .38+P airweight

I will not own crap. All of my guns have performed flawlessly. I personally do not see any reason not to own a Taurus handgun, either a pistol or a revolver.

Todd
Old June 14, 2007, 11:45 AM   #58
normal

I can only go by my experiences. I currently have 2 Taurus revolvers (85CH and Tracker 44 2 1/2") and 1 semi (PT 111 Mil Pro). They are all excellent guns. I used to have a Tracker 415T, but the recoil on a titanium .41 mag. snub was a little brisk, so I traded it for the .44 snub in steel. I figured that if it was going to kick, may as well have the bigger bullet! I also had a PT99 for 16 years and it was a great pistol. I only traded it because I carry an XD 45 and decided to get an XD9 for practice and I did not need 2 full size 9mm's. My father also has an older Taurus .44 special with a 3" barrel that he had Magnaported that is a great gun. He also has the Mil Pro and PT99 and they are good.

We have had great luck with Taurus. That being said, it is luck, because ALL companies occassianally make bad products. I had a Ruger SP-101 that was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, and it was awful. I know that many people have good ones, so they are not all bad. All major gun makers mostly make good guns, but some bad ones will always get through and affect your view on that company.
Old June 14, 2007, 11:49 AM   #59
Cyrgelman

I voted no only because Taurus, so far, hasn't made anything that interests me.
Old June 14, 2007, 04:38 PM   #60
TWB

I've had 100% bad experiences with Taurus revolvers and "service". This includes experience as a licensed dealer and owner.

twb
Old June 14, 2007, 05:13 PM   #61
44 AMP
Staff

No

Not because I have anything against them particularly, I have never owned one, and likely never will, because they don't have anything I want that I can't get better somewhere else.

And it is , after all, all about what I want.
Old June 14, 2007, 05:17 PM   #62
Kreyzhorse

I had once considered, and actually bought a Taurus. With that said, my answer to this question is "NO" I wound not consider buying a Taurus ever again. Total POS.
Old June 15, 2007, 03:21 AM   #63
ghalleen

Sure

I currently have three Taurus revolvers: 2 in .357 Magnum (one is total titanium) and 1 in .454 Casull. All have been flawless. I especially like the 617 (titanium 7-shot 357) once I replaced the grips with my favorite Hogues.

I have now, or have had in the past, revolvers from: Colt, Ruger, Dan Wesson

I really like Ruger, and I really like Taurus. S&W is good, but overpriced, and their quality isn't any better than Taurus (unless you're talking Performance Center).

For the best quality, I think you're best off with Ruger.
Old June 15, 2007, 06:41 AM   #64
bigghoss

I have one new taurus and one old S&W. I really like the taurus and you can't beat it for the money, but if you are ignoring cost the S&W is the better way to go I think.
Old June 15, 2007, 06:44 AM   #65
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

In my experience, over the last fifteen years, Taurus has had a higher rate of problems necessitating return for repair than Ruger or S&W.

This is a simple statement of fact.

Does this mean that I think "Taurus sucks" or somesuch? No, it just means that you probably have a higher probability of needing work done on one.

At one point, the rate of new revolvers from the company needing warranty work was something like 30%, causing me to stop carrying them for almost a year. Even then, that means that seven out of ten customers had a fine ownership experience, and would happily check the top box in the above survey and call me a "hater" for typing this post. Le sigh.
Old June 15, 2007, 04:01 PM   #66
TNBulldog

No way. My ex-gf had a Rossi 38 special of which I recently saw the same model at a local shop for around $325.00. It shot quite well at the range and had a smooth pull on the trigger. Comparitively, my mom has a Taurus 38 special that is about the same quality as a crappy Arminius 32 I have. The pull feels "squeeky" and it can't hit a barn. I'd give $50 for it honestly.

If price and availability are no concern under no circumstances would I buy a Taurus revolver.
Old June 16, 2007, 03:47 PM   #67
orionengnr

Quote:
I take it the naysayers are not reading the facts and history presented here that accentuate the positive or they would not be so vehement in their denial of the truth.
Or maybe their experience has led them to a different "truth" than you proclaim. Denial works both ways.

FWIW, yeah, I've owned one. Note the use of the past tense.
Old June 16, 2007, 04:01 PM   #68
Ocraknife

Quote:
No, I would never buy a sidearm with an internal lock unless it was strictly optional. Don't buy one unless they offer a non-internal lock model. If you want an internal lock, fine by me...as long as they give you a choice in the matter. Otherwise [Unnecessary stuff redacted. -Tam] and join the anti-gun libs because your purchase only serves as a vote for the liberal left.
And posts like yours only lend creedence to their cause.

Last edited by Tamara; June 16, 2007 at 04:13 PM. Reason: I fixed the original, too. Thanks, Ocraknife. :)
Old June 16, 2007, 05:54 PM   #69
Qwiks draw

I never said there were never examples that were bad, nor have I said all Taurus guns are wonderful. It has been documented here, at other forums, and especially by the gun press, that any company has a certain failure rate or has lemons that by pass QC people. And we can sit here and trade anecdotes all day and acclomplish nothing.

What is being stated is that there are a majority of users, who like Taurus, Kel-tec, Ruger, Hi-point,and other brands that get undeserved bad press all the way round and it isn't neccessarly so.

A goodly percentage of the users are happy with their purchases and get good use out of what they bought.

If businesses were putting out garbage then the public , who thinks with their wallets will not buy those and the business goes down the tubes for good or that particular model is gone for good. This is well documented by the media as well.

So the facts that have been stated by the satisfied owners are for real and cannot be ignored as is being done here.
It is also curious that the people who claim to be dealers or distributors who claim that _______ (fill in the blank of any normally bashed and denigrated company) are trash and see it so much ,are the going against what has been established by the gun industry itself, as highly praised and well made merchandise. I guess that we are to take these musings as the whole of the industry are a bunch of incompetents and idiots.

I empathize with those who have had bad examples. It does and can happen. But again I have had an occasional bad Smith or Ruger and did not condemn the company. It was not pleasant to have to fix the problem one way or another, but it did get done and life went on.
Old June 16, 2007, 06:01 PM   #70
deadin

Oh come on.... as the Op stated in his first post
Quote:
Budget and availabliliy is not considered.
Isn't that kind of asking "What would you rather have, a Mercedes or a Yugo?"
Or are you implying that the Taurus is THE finest handgun ever made??
Old June 16, 2007, 06:33 PM   #71
Qwiks draw

Not necessarily so. There are Taurus Trackers and Raging Bull that have satified users and there are S&W and other company users who are satisfied. So budget is not always a consideration nor does budget mean poorly made though "conventional wisdom" would suppose.

There are many companies that make middle of the road priced firearms and the users are happy with the. Price is no indicator of quality.

There is a history of this in the firearms industry.
Merwin and Hulbert, Forehand and Wadsworth, Harrington and Richardson,Remington, and a host of other manufacturers made serviceable handguns. These were picked up an used daily and gave decent serviceable use.

True, there were other companies, but those folded for a number of reasons. Bought out by the bigger companies(Colt and others didn't like having competition), models that worked but weren't popular ( public being fickle at times), and some did make poor weapons and those guys went away after a year or two or three.

So present day has seen the old guard replaced by new one, with middle of the road pricing on a host of brands, makes and models.

There is a segment of society that will not give these firearms or their users nothing but disdain.
Old June 16, 2007, 10:50 PM   #72
solocam

No!!!!
Old June 17, 2007, 02:52 PM   #73
Tommy Vercetti

if it was a really good deal..maybe..otherwise no
Old June 17, 2007, 08:53 PM   #74
woodsltc

Only if I wanted an expensive paper-weight!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taurus = poor track record of breakdowns and returns to factory. You might get a good one, but the odds of getting a "lemon" are too high for me to waste my $$.

Don
Old June 17, 2007, 11:13 PM   #75
Sacha Baron

easy choice

if budget is not an issue

get a S&W !!!

Closed Thread