The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

View Poll Results: Will you consider buying Taurus instead of other makes?
Yes 92 55.09%
No 75 44.91%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 22, 2007, 07:24 AM   #101
pinetree

Revolver yes. I have a had poor luck with semi's in mid 90's but I love my M85UL and just got a 66. I think they are good guns at great prices.
Old July 22, 2007, 04:02 PM   #102
gandog56

After putting together 20 years of some bad abuse (I like HOT 357 loads), my model 66 Taurus still is as accurate as the day I bought it, which is pretty darned good. It's so durned good, I'm going to have it totally stripped down and reblued rather that buy a new revolver. (if I only would have had the extra bucks to buy the stainless version then)
Old July 22, 2007, 04:07 PM   #103
Playboypenguin

I will add this to this conversation. I posted awhile back and said I would and have bought a Taurus. I am going to back-peddle a little bit.

I have bought Taurus products and I have been happy with them. I have never had a serious issue and they have served me well.

I would probably not buy another Taurus though. Not because I think they are junk...I actually hold the opinion that they are great guns for the price and probably even the best guns in their price range. They are real bargains.

The problem is that I am not at a stage in my life anymore where I am looking for a bargain or the "best one for the money"...I am looking for the best gun I can afford. There is a subtle difference.
Old July 22, 2007, 06:36 PM   #104
gandog56

Very subtile, as it can mean you can spend a heck of a lot more bucks for the same caliber pistol, because you perceive some advantage(s). For general low price quality, I still don't think you can go wrong with a Taurus/Rossi.
Old July 22, 2007, 06:55 PM   #105
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Very subtile, as it can mean you can spend a heck of a lot more bucks for the same caliber pistol, because you perceive some advantage(s). For general low price quality, I still don't think you can go wrong with a Taurus/Rossi.
What I mean is this. Do I think Taurus/Rossi are good guns? Yes, I do. Do I think they are as good as all of the higher priced guns? No, I do not. They are as good as some higher priced guns but not all. Some higher priced guns are just better made. IE: I think a Taurus MilPro is as good as a similar Smith or Ruger but I feel a Taurus revolver is simply not as a refined as a Smith or as durable as a Ruger. So I spend the extra money and get the Smith.

Alot of things you get on most higher end guns are not just "perceived" advantages. Better machining is not a perceives advantage, better building materials are not just a perceived advantage, ambi-safties is not perceived, tapered barrels are not either. These are concrete features.

Would I tell someone that can afford it to spend the extra $50 to get a Smith Airweight over a Taurus Ultra-Lite? Would I tell someone to spend the extra $150 to get a Seecamp over a kel-Tec? Most definately...but if the person was 21, just starting out, and the extra bucks could mean a few extra months without a gun I would say get the Taurus/Kel-Tec.
Old July 22, 2007, 10:02 PM   #106
Ratsrepus

"Would you consider buying Taurus?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would consider buying Taurus .375 or .44 Magnum instead of SW, Colt or Ruger, or other makes? Budget and availabliliy is not considered."

Never.
Old July 22, 2007, 10:19 PM   #107
bodab

I own 3 of them. The UltraLite Titanium 44mag that kicks like a mule. good gun and you dont see many. The judge. Neat gun .410 or 45lc and a basic blue 357. I like them all and i would buy another one but my next one willbe a ruger 44 mag
Old July 24, 2007, 05:26 PM   #108
dmxx99

I got a old Taurus 66 its the best revolver for the money I spent and its so good the army should use them.If every criminal had one we would all be in major trouble especially the police because they would have a reliable and effective gun in their hands way better than a Jennings or any other low quality pistol.Never underestimate a revolver it can do alot more than you think it can even if its range is limited it can still do alot of life changing events like save a life or ruin one.All of you guys who bash Taurus need a chill pill because a defective gun exists in every gun manufacture it happens once in a while but not all guns are like it and all you have to do is have it fixed or replaced.

The guy who came up with the idea for inexpensive guns but good quality deserves a pat on the back and Taurus is that company that is giving it to us today.I know Smith and Wesson and all the high quality gun manufactures make excellent guns but they make mistakes too and they have a occasional defective gun too.But I cant shell out $400-$700 on a revolver when I can get a good quality revolver from Taurus for low $200's to mid $300's.
However I do like that there are used Smith and Wesson revolvers for around $200 and $300 I will look into getting one too next year or so.Anyways Taurus revolvers are a good deal and really have some quality and reliability too.Not everyone can shell out over $400 on a S&W or Ruger revolver when they can get a Taurus revolver for well under $400 in their budget range depending on who they are.
Old July 24, 2007, 06:16 PM   #109
JunyTuck

Okay, if you really want to know about Taurus values, check out the Blue Book of Gun Values. Without exception every gun they make will lose 25- 30% of their value the minute you walk out the store. Shoot it and it's worth about 50% of what you paid! The longer you keep it the more it will depreciate. None are considered classic or collectable or appreciate in value. NONE!!
Do they fill a niche, maybe for some, but if you are a serious firearm owner, I would avoid them. Hard to make a silk purse from a sow's ear!!
Old July 24, 2007, 07:05 PM   #110
JR47

The loss of value is consistent. For example, the S&W Model 10 had an MSR of $544.00. In 100%, it's worth $400.00 today In 90%, it's worth $160.00.

The famed Model 19 had an MSRP of $457.00. In 100% it's worth $345.00, in 90%, it drops to $190.00/

These values are listed on page 1438 and 1440 of the 26th Edition of the Blue Book. The values are about 23% for a 100% Model, and over 50% for a 90 % Model.

You can expect this across the Board. Also remember that some of these MSRPs are in yesterday's dollars, and, with the rate of inflation, would actually be a bit higher in comparison to the new values assigned in current dollars.

I used the Model 19 and Model 10, as they are valued lines, with collector's interest, but not a comparison to the one of a kind weapons. As you can see, any use of the weapon will reduce it's values by 50%, or more.

It's getting pretty bad when misrepresented numbers like this have to be foisted off on the thread.

Just to compare, the Colt Detective Special (4th Issue) has an MSRP of $400. In 100% condition, it's worth $425.00, and in 90% condition is worth $250.00. This was a 1993-1995 production pistol.

I wasn't aware that we purchased weapons with the idea that they were Classics. It's kind of hard to predict where that will go. Many of today's Classic are the result of rarity, because they didn't sell when produced.

Unless you are truly an expert in firearms sales and marketing trends, worrying about the future status of your weapons comes pretty close useless. ANY weapon, no matter what, will be judged on the condition it's in. The more you use it, the less it's worth. If that wasn't true, they wouldn't need to publish guides like the Blue Book.

Now, does he fill a niche, with his wildly inaccurate comparisons? Maybe for some. However, if I were serious in selecting weapons based on merit, I'd avoid his outrageous statements. Hard to make a silk purse from a pig's ear.

This has gotten way out of line. It actually appears that Taurus handguns depreciate much more closely to the norm than was attempted to be portrayed. Many of us have the books, and can see that pretty readily. Let's see what is claimed next.
Old July 24, 2007, 07:56 PM   #111
JunyTuck

How were the numbers mis-represented? This post is about Taurus, not S&W or any other maker? Name one gun, made by Taurus that is considered collectable? No we don't always buy a gun based on it becoming a classic, but if you buy quality your chances are certaintly better. Your strong defense of Taurus is admirable but misguided.
Old July 24, 2007, 10:44 PM   #112
IMTHDUKE

Only if they made Sigs the way Sigs make Sigs.
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old July 24, 2007, 10:56 PM   #113
bullfrog99

No, had one, the cylinder fell off of it, fixed it, lost confidence in it and sold it... They are alright, but I prefer smiths and rugers.

I would buy an old beretta clone taurus though, I like the safety position better
Old July 24, 2007, 11:51 PM   #114
Dos

Taurus's real problem is WARRANTY / Customer Service

I'll never own another Taurus. The guns are probablly OK and yes there are lemons in every make...BUT and a BIG B U T should you have a problem with your gun....Taurus Warranty and Customer Service suck big time. I've had the experience myself and also a good bud of mine just went throug a nightmare with customer warranty/service.... Three and a half months for simple part replacement is not acceptable !! It's just not worth the headache. Spend a little more and get sumpin with a better Warranty. If you never have a problem with your Taurus you don't need to worry..but if you do...you'll wish you had something else.. Smith & Wesson and Ruger come to mind. JMHO
Old July 25, 2007, 09:18 AM   #115
JR47

Quote:
How were the numbers mis-represented? This post is about Taurus, not S&W or any other maker? Name one gun, made by Taurus that is considered collectable? No we don't always buy a gun based on it becoming a classic, but if you buy quality your chances are certaintly better. Your strong defense of Taurus is admirable but misguided.
Your adjectives reveal your bias. Knowledge, such as you posted, cannot exist in a vacuum. The simple fact that ANY brand of weapon ALSO loses approximately the SAME percentage (meaning that in many cases you lose MORE in terms of dollars) was left twisting in the wind by that bias.

How many years did it take BEFORE S&W, or any other "quality" maker had collectors? Current production weapons, even if they've been in production for decades, do not tend towards collector interest. In fact, as I stated before, it's usually only after a significant event, like the model being altered in some way, or discontinued, that collector's become interested.

Seen any Freedom Arms Collector's Clubs? Or Casull Arms Clubs? Or aren't they high enough quality to merit their own, dedicated, collectors organization?

Please, my intention is less to defend anything by brand, but to defend intelligent discussion from the ravages of the Internet Commando with an agenda.
Old July 25, 2007, 06:48 PM   #116
JunyTuck

See any Taurus collector clubs??? Taurus markets their guns on price point only because they are made in a sweatshop enviroment, where turnover is high. My bias against Taurus, if that's what you wan't to call it, is based on my personal experience and a majority of opinions here that cite numerous problems and poor customer service.Testimonial after testimonial of defects and failure to correct! So what more needs to be said! Labeling people as internet commandos or other derogatory remarks towards me violates the tenets of this forum against personal attacks.
Old July 25, 2007, 08:01 PM   #117
gandog56

There is a Taurus forum. I have two Taurus's, A Taurus 66 .357 magnum and a Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull. I like both of them.
Old July 25, 2007, 08:03 PM   #118
gandog56

Quote:
Taurus markets their guns on price point only because they are made in a sweatshop enviroment, where turnover is high.
And you know this for a fact? I was just reading a magazine article where the writer went down to Brazil to tour the factory, and he seemed impressed. I'm thinking you are speaking innuendo.
Old July 26, 2007, 10:15 AM   #119
JR47

Seen any Freedom Arms collector's clubs? Or Linebaugh Collector's Clubs? Or Casull Collector's Clubs?

That means nothing. Perhaps they, too, market on a price point?

Quote:
Taurus markets their guns on price point only because they are made in a sweatshop enviroment, where turnover is high. My bias against Taurus, if that's what you wan't to call it, is based on my personal experience and a majority of opinions here that cite numerous problems and poor customer service.Testimonial after testimonial of defects and failure to correct! So what more needs to be said!
Now, let's try again. Like the Taurus and the military statement, I really think that you're, as usual, wrong. However, may we see something proving the "sweatshop enviroment (sic)" where turnover is high"? Could we get an answer THIS time?

Have you actually counted the number of posters here who are quite happy with their Tauri? Versus those who aren't? I didn't think so. Once again, you're making statements without even researching the facts.

If you truly believed your last sentence, you'd have been out of this thread pages ago.

So, to recap.

1) You stated that the Elite Military and Police of Brazil use different weapons than Taurus. For that, you have still provided no links or references. While the article referenced in SWAT says the opposite, as does the single Brazilian LEO to post here.

2) Now you say that Taurus is built in a sweatshop, with high turnover. Again, no references.

3) Then, you state that the MAJORITY of opinion in this thread supports your assertion that Taurus is not a quality brand. I'm guessing that you haven't counted this, either.

Is it because you're not happy with the way your wild accusations aren't being accepted that makes you so shrill? How about you answer these questions, and establish a little credibility?
Old July 26, 2007, 10:38 AM   #120
2rugers

I do own several Taurus and would buy them again.

I have one mdl. 94 that went through 25,000 rds. before the transfer bar cracked.

It went back to the factory and they had it well repaired in short order for only the cost of shipping.
Old July 26, 2007, 11:52 AM   #121
meanoldman

I would consider a Ford Taurus.
Old July 26, 2007, 01:28 PM   #122
JR47

It's funny, but there's a thread in the forum above about the WORST gun you've had. In five pages, Taurus is hardly mentioned, and then it's the TP-22, and a Titanium that had a too high front sight. Something that a file could have fixed. They also mentioned a PT1911 with too many small problems for the buyer, nothing specific, and a mini-semi.

The majority of complaints are against Colt, S&W, Ruger, H&K, Sig, AMT, and Sterling!!

Hmmmmmmm??????
Old July 26, 2007, 07:25 PM   #123
JunyTuck

What's really funny is your tenacious devotion to my posts!! Apparently, Iv'e struck a nerve!! If you would take a look at the U.N. website you would learn that Brazil, while an emerging democracy, is also one of the the poorest in terms of annual income. Now let's assume for a moment that Taurus quality is on par with S&W or Ruger? So how do they produce a gun at 30 to 40% less in our global economy? Think they might have lower labor costs or use cheaper materials?? You have been here long enough that you should have learned that pride of ownership is powerful. Most people will not dis their guns unless they have had a really bad experience. No, I don't spend alot of time tallying polls and post's in this forum. I have another life!
If proven and verifiable credibility is a prerequisite for posting an opinion here, then this would be a very small forum indeed!
You ask me for links and documentation but provide none of your own, to support your opinion!
So I will leave now and wish you well.
Old July 26, 2007, 07:42 PM   #124
JR47

Ok, so, you have, again, nothing to back up your position. If this was your opinion, and stated as such, it might be passable. However, you state these things as fact, such as saying that Taurus weapons were built with sweatshop labor, and high turn-overs. You state for a fact that the Brazilian Elite Units and LEO don't use Taurus pistols. You state for a fact that the majority of posters on this thread feel that Taurus is an inferior brand. You supply absolutely zero corroboration, and instead, attempt to foist the burden of proof off on those who didn't supply your spurious "facts".

I have, in at least two posts, provided you with page, article, and volume notes that disprove your assertions. Even you should be able to render a simple tally of pro and con.

Quote:
What's really funny is your tenacious devotion to my posts!! Apparently, Iv'e struck a nerve!!
Yes, you've found me out. I keep coming back to this thread, and there you are, spinning out yet another wilder and wilder statement. Sorry, the nerve you struck was the one attached to my BS meter.

Quote:
If you would take a look at the U.N. website you would learn that Brazil, while an emerging democracy, is also one of the the poorest in terms of annual income. Now let's assume for a moment that Taurus quality is on par with S&W or Ruger? So how do they produce a gun at 30 to 40% less in our global economy? Think they might have lower labor costs or use cheaper materials?? You have been here long enough that you should have learned that pride of ownership is powerful. Most people will not dis their guns unless they have had a really bad experience. No, I don't spend alot of time tallying polls and post's in this forum. I have another life!
Gee, that's the same logic that blames spoons for Rosie being fat. Brazil doesn't have the insurance liability of the US, nor the EPA requirements, nor the transportation costs. Labor is miniscule in contrast with the US. Many of the raw materials are closer, as well. Add all that up, and then consider the CNC machinery in the Taurus plant, or the fact that they own their own forging plant. This, in American dollars is a huge reduction in price. I's also bet that they are working off of a lower profit margin, as well. Please show me a Taurus that a comparable S&W is 40% more in MSRP. Oh, wait, you don't have time to back up your statements. How, then, did you arrive at the fact that the majority of posters here hated Taurus, if you didn't count?

You talk a noisy game, but it's not very true. Then again, I'm guessing that you don't much care.
Old July 26, 2007, 08:36 PM   #125
JunyTuck

Thank you! You have made my point better than I could have myself!! Cheap labor & cheap materials and no quality control, overlaid with a useless warranty= inferior!!!!
Closed Thread