The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

View Poll Results: Will you consider buying Taurus instead of other makes?
Yes 92 55.09%
No 75 44.91%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 27, 2007, 07:28 AM   #126
bodab

useless warranty? man get out of here. I broke mine. sent it to them. They fixed it, cleaned it, and sent it back all within a few weeks. RUGER also did the same thing. FOR what you pay for them you cant beat them.
Old July 27, 2007, 09:13 AM   #127
earshot

taurus

i own four taurus', a 627 4", a 6" 44 special, a45colt model 460,and a raging
bull 454casull. would i buy another taurus probably,but has anyone noticed the price of some models lately. not exactly bottom of the barrel.
there's gotta be a reason taurus is still making guns.

my next taurus will be the 45 colt pump i've been pleasuring for some time.
yesterday i saw one in person and behind it was a 50 yd target with five touching the bull. the gun belonged to the owner and is not for sale.
he just displays it with the target.

finally, i sorta wonder why taurus and their substandard guns are still producing firearms. the last time i looked, colt was taking the big dirt knap.
Old July 27, 2007, 09:18 AM   #128
deadin

Quote:
finally, i sorta wonder why taurus and their substandard guns are still producing firearms. the last time i looked, colt was taking the big dirt knap.
PRICE!!!! The OP said cost was not a consideration, but the thread seems to be ignoring this. I tend to agree that there probably isn't much wrong with Taurus, but there are better guns out there if you don't look at the cost.
Old July 27, 2007, 09:37 AM   #129
44and45

If Taurus started making one of these in .44 special, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Yes, I know they make them in .44 magnum, and you can shoot .44 special in them...blah, blaw. Want .44 special...period.

Jim

Mine in .45 Colt, Taurus Tracker with Hogue grips.

This junkey ole gun can shoot...

Old July 27, 2007, 10:48 AM   #130
JR47

Quote:
Thank you! You have made my point better than I could have myself!! Cheap labor & cheap materials and no quality control, overlaid with a useless warranty= inferior!!!!
I would have to question where the actual point of cheap labor equates to cheap product? Glock is assembled in Smyrna, Georgia, an area with a lower cost of living, and a lower wage scale than say, Beretta, which is produced in Accokeek, Maryland, near D.C., and which has a much higher labor rate. Following your logic, then, Glock would be an inferior product? Browning HPs are assembled in Portugal, where the labor is much cheaper than Belgium. Does that make them inferior to other comparable weapons assembled in higher wage areas?

Fact is, the Taurus factory is using state-of-the-art CNC machinery to produce their weapons. In those cases, the actual input of the labor force is minimal, and quite simple. Gone are the days of hand-fitting, in every modern factory.

As to the Warranty, more people on here have had no trouble than have reported problems. Amazingly, many of those who have had trouble, have had it several times. That, in and of itself, calls into question the thought processes involved.

You have been blathering on and on, making wildly unsubstantiated claims about the Brazilian military and LEO, Taurus using sweatshops with high turnover, inferior materials, niche pricing, and even the number of people happy with the weapon ON THIS THREAD. Several posters have asked you for substantiation, myself included. You refuse, even going so far as to state that "If proven and verifiable credibility is a prerequisite for posting an opinion here, then this would be a very small forum indeed!"

It's quite certain that you feel no need to state facts, or the truth, to bolster your rants. As for myself, when asked to verify specifics, I have done so. This Forum exists to be better than the usual "opinion as fact" BS chat room. There are people here who actually work in allied fields, and who possess decades of experience. If it's an opinion, we state it as such. You have failed to do so, and belittle the efforts of those who have had no problem, as well as those who have with your wildly inaccurate claims.
Old July 27, 2007, 04:09 PM   #131
44and45

I'm wondering if the resale value has gone up on Taurus revolvers that are discontinued in their product line.

A lot of people have expressed interest to me in the .45 acp and .45 Colt Tracker models. Will they eventually be getting premo prices because of scarsity. Seems to be the norm for other brands, why not Taurus.

What's not to like about one of these beauties...

Jim

Old July 27, 2007, 06:56 PM   #132
antediluvianist

Nah, I prefer quality American guns like Jennings and Lorcin.
Old July 27, 2007, 07:16 PM   #133
Jart

I don't have an opinion on Taurus - never owned one. No better reason than there was just never something they had that I couldn't live without.

However, I've been wanting a nice double action in .45 Colt for a while and 625s so configured have been rare. If they beat the S&W into one of my several dealers shops, I may have my first.

Personally, I'd prefer less billboard on the barrel and less perforation than I've seen in the pics but that's both personal and subjective. Sooner or later, I'll get tired of waiting for a 625.

To me, the Taurus billboard and perforations are about as visually offensive as the S&W clock-key lock. Whichever one I wind up with, it's unlikely I'll report back unless something monumental develops.
Old July 27, 2007, 09:01 PM   #134
Magdaddy

"finally, i sorta wonder why taurus and their substandard guns are still producing firearms. the last time i looked, colt was taking the big dirt knap."

That's hilarious, I just custom ordered grips from them.

Money is no object in this purchase huh. Then my answer is not no, but hell no.
Old July 27, 2007, 09:19 PM   #135
Tinyfxds

I have only owned a Super Redhawk 44 mag. It wasn't the prettiest thing in the world. I just went out today and checked out the 454 Casull RB and the S&W 500. Honestly the RB felt more comfortable. The biggest thing was the 454 felt a lot more solid. The cylinder lock up was tighter the trigger didn't wiggle as much and there was no slop when you spun the wheel around.

I would and probably will buy a Taurus without reservation

This is just like the Ford Chevy Dodge thing. Everybody has one or the other and everything else sucks. Really who cares. If you want a Taurus then buy one if you don't than buy something different. They are still selling guns, a lot of them, so they must have a decent share of the market.
Old July 27, 2007, 10:52 PM   #136
gandog56

I own two taurus revolvers. One is 20 years old and it's like Old Faithful. The other one is too new to evaluate yet, since I've only put 40 rounds through it. It's funny that people swear by their Taurus revolvers, and swear at their Taurus semis, though I've been hearing a few good words about their new 1911.
Old July 28, 2007, 10:07 AM   #137
JR47

Magdaddy, Colt has reduced it's production of new weapons to the 1911 series. Even the SAA Model of 1873 is a Custom Shop only item. When WAS the last time that you actually handled a NEW Colt firearm in a shop? Around Northern Georgia, they are just behind Chicken's Teeth in availability.

If money were no object, the ONLY revolver worth purchasing would be the Korth. The rest are poorly hammered pieces of metal, produced in sweat-shops with high turn-over.
Old July 28, 2007, 10:57 AM   #138
Magdaddy

JR47
One hour ago. check a local shop in Dawsonville. If you need directions let me know.
Old July 28, 2007, 09:39 PM   #139
hunter64

I live in Canada so there is no authorized dealers, no parts and no warranties of any kind. It amazes me that people will buy Taurus in Canada. I have nothing against them, probably fine revolvers/handguns but if you have a problem then you really have to hunt for any kind of parts or service for one. Kind of like owning a car that you can't buy parts for.
Old July 29, 2007, 08:26 AM   #140
44and45

hunter64, have you tried contacting the Taurusfirearms.com for a warranty station location.

I believe in the USA its down in Florida.

Jim
Old July 29, 2007, 09:14 AM   #141
hunter64

44and 45. Yup repeatably, I sent emails and snail mail and even tried to call them, I asked two gun dealers in my city and nothing. This was 9 months ago and I just got a private message saying that FN Sports was the authorized dealer in Canada. Must be just opened because I have never heard of FN Sports, yet I go to there web site and it says that my local gun shop is indeed an authorized dealer so it is obviously something new. I think I will drop FN Sports an email and see if indeed they will honor the "Lifetime Warranty" that the US customers have.
Old July 29, 2007, 11:03 AM   #142
JR47

Magdaddy, thanks, but I can find it. I'd love to go look at a $1000 version of a $500 SA pistol.

OK, what other new pistols do they have from Colt? My point was that Colt makes the 1911A1, and a custom-ordered 1873 SAA. Dawsonville is a bit further than I normally travel from Jasper to look for a shop, but, I thank you. If I'm ever really looking for a Colt 1911, I will head that way.
Old July 29, 2007, 12:29 PM   #143
Magdaddy

Your welcome
Old July 29, 2007, 02:28 PM   #144
Qwiks draw

Saw the reference to Taurusforum.com. They no longer exist and haven't for some time. As the original go between for members from that defunct forum and it's sister forum Rugerforum.com I can speak with some knowledge on this.

Rugerforum said they were thinking of moving or updating their software. When that was to or will happen, Taurusforum.com would cease to exist and has. Spammers and hackers with no moderator oversight doomed the old site.The owner of Taurusforum.com pulled the plug and all data was lost. We old vets do remember what went on before though.

So Flyer at the new site set us up at www.taurusarmed.net and all the old hands moved over there. The new site is growing at a steady pace.

Taurus Talk is the other longer established forum at MSN.
There are many members here that are members at either of these Taurus forums or members of both. Kind of like both the Ruger forums.

JR47, beautiful job dealing with the ranters. The truth will set one free. For those who have had real verifiable Taurus problems, I do empathize with that.

The many gun forums are awash with troubles for many brands, makes and models. It happens on a regular basis though it would be nice to have something that is good to go "out of the box". Sometimes it does happen.
Old July 29, 2007, 02:37 PM   #145
Qwiks draw

I stand somewhat corrected. Taurusforum.com does exist. Just as a domain name for someone else. But not as a forum.Just a search engine of sorts. www.unitedforums.com, the old Taurus forum and other forums carrier is defunct for the most part.
Old July 29, 2007, 03:45 PM   #146
Magdaddy

JR47, what gun shops do you have in Jasper ?

Are there any good ones ? That's only 20 minutes away, maybe I could come over there and look around instead of the same old places over here.
Old July 29, 2007, 05:20 PM   #147
glockman19

I voted but when I went back to readmy post it'snot there so I'll post again...

I would not buy a Taurus under any circumstances. I'll gladly spend more money for a Ruger or a S&W.
Old July 29, 2007, 07:37 PM   #148
JR47

Magdaddy, Jasper has the Bargain Barn, on 515, and a pawn shop on Rte 53, by the Movie rental store. Ellijay has Rich Mountain traders, by the Taco bell. There's also a nice shop in Blue Ridge, off of Main Street.

Until Rich Mountain Traders opened their indoor range, we shot mostly at Pannells, in Woodbridge.
Old July 29, 2007, 07:39 PM   #149
JR47

It's Ok Glockman, I wouldn't buy a Glock under any circumstances, either. I'd much rather have something that didn't feel like a 2x4 with a handle on it. You know, maybe a High Point, or a Helwan.
Old July 30, 2007, 11:29 AM   #150
gandog56

Quote:
Thank you! You have made my point better than I could have myself!! Cheap labor & cheap materials and no quality control, overlaid with a useless warranty= inferior!!!!
And once again I see your opinion, with no facts to back it up. Taurus in Brazil has been highly praised for their operations. I just read in a Shooting Times article about how modern their factory is. Modern factory does not equal cheap labor and materials. Yeah the labor cost may be way cheaper than here, but it is pretty much cheaper everywhere than here. Blame the unions. Like I said, I have two Taurus revolvers, and and I am Quite happy with either, and will shoot my 20 year old 6" .357 magnum against anybody else's 6", and I'll bet I can meet or exceed the other's groups. I haven't had my .454 Casull long enough to form an opinion yet, but I like what I'm seeing so far. I also don't have an opinion about their customer service, because I haven't needed to yet, and that includes my 20 year old gun.