The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 27, 2008, 12:07 AM   #1
SavageMOA

AR-15 or Glock 17?

I didn't know where to post this so, Mods, feel free to move it wherever you deem necessary.

I've decided to buy myself a gun for Christmas. Now here's my dilemma.

As much as I DESPISE falling into the post-election frenzy, I WOULD like to make a few purchases for assurance. Both are weapons I planned to buy once I had the funds and since I can't afford both right now I'm looking for opinions.

I'm either going to buy an AR lower so I can eventually build up an AR later (whether or not they are banned). OR I want to get a glock 17 so I can have those awesome (read: impractical) 33rd magazines.

Should I buy the lower now and a few hi cap mags for the AR and buy a few hi caps for the Glock so I can just buy the weapon later?

Sorry for the long post, my friends.
Old November 27, 2008, 12:16 AM   #2
Jimro

Buy the one that is available.

If both are available get the AR receiver.

Jimro
Old November 27, 2008, 12:16 AM   #3
NCarolina910

This is just me personally, but I would never buy magazines for a firearm I do not currently own. Even if I plan to buy said firearm in the future, however near that may be.

"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today." - General Robert E. Lee
Old November 27, 2008, 12:20 AM   #4
Firepower!

buy a complete AR. Chill on mags.

If anything gets banned I think it will be the semi auto rifles. Pistols will follow later. Too bad you guys are facing this problem.

I am sure you will be able to buy g17. if I were you I would buy a 33rd mags and auto switch as well, kept on a ranch for SHTF time.
Old November 27, 2008, 12:22 AM   #5
azredhawk44

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand shooting a pistol with a stick mag that protrudes. Even the 10rd mags for 1911's bug me.

If I can't holster it the way it's equipped and move normally, it's silly IMO.

That being said, a G17 or similar wundernine is an impressive weapon even with 17 rounds in it.

I'd say you should get the AR first, though. The handgun is used to fight your way to the rifle you should have never put down. It also bugs Obama et alia more than a glock does.

And... here's a secret: Get a mix of 20 and 30 round mags for the AR. The 20's are f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c for shooting from prone, but the 30's are bothersome. 30's are good for kneeling/seated/standing and close range training though. Just different tools, not better or worse than each other.

Good luck!
Old November 27, 2008, 12:32 AM   #6
SavageMOA

appreciate the quick replies guys! Another one of my big issues is ammo cost.
I reload and I STILL can't afford to shoot my bolt action .223 even remotely high volume. No matter what I choose, It's looking like I couldn't even afford to shoot it!

Choices, choices, choices.
Old November 27, 2008, 12:55 AM   #7
DaveInPA

Get an AR, if you can find one that is.
Old November 27, 2008, 01:55 AM   #8
armedtotheteeth

Good luck finding a Ar. I went to 9 stores this week, In Abilene, Tx. All where out, cept a beat up M4 for 1900. No thanks. Even Cdnn was out of stock. Unreal!!
Oh, yes 30 rounders are horrible for Prone shooting, unless you have a great dane Bipod, or maybe a giraffe model.
Old November 27, 2008, 06:39 AM   #9
spodwo

Why just buy part of something especially if you can't really afford it nor "afford" the ammo?

You really have answered your own question...get a used Glock 17. Ammo is half the cost of .223 and you will have something to shoot versus having something that will sit in a closet.

Glocks are plentiful and reasonably priced.

ARs are not plentiful nor reasonably priced at this point in time.
Old November 27, 2008, 06:54 AM   #10
Logs

I would get the AR lower and mags and then get the mags for the G17 first. I was window shopping on Tuesday and most of the shops I went to in Lexington, KY still had glock mags for $25 each, I picked up two 33 rounders for $39 each. I also saw Colt 20 rd mags for $19.99 and others for $15. (Buds gun shop).

I also picked up some XD mags for $23 figured a few more could not hurt. I would get the mags and such now and then worry about the gun.

You should be able to get a G17 down the road New or Preowned there are a ton out there. Darn AR lowers are mostly over $200 now. GOOD LUCK.

You might also look at getting ammo. Dicks Sporting goods has 9mm $7.99 a box if you get 10, best deal I have found lately.

Buds had Olympic AR's still for $799.
Old November 27, 2008, 07:48 AM   #11
Pilot

Quote:
If anything gets banned I think it will be the semi auto rifles. Pistols will follow later. Too bad you guys are facing this problem.
Don't feel too sorry for us. We still have the greatest gun culture in the world and the most freedoms with firearms. No other country even comes close. More gun control laws are political suicide here.
Old November 27, 2008, 08:09 AM   #12
spodwo

Quote:
Buds had Olympic AR's still for $799
But he doesn't have any so it is a moot point.
Old November 27, 2008, 10:22 AM   #13
jmr40

With the panic buying of AR's the prices even for lowers has gone through the roof and I would not get one at those prices.

Everyone is expecting a gun ban like 1994. I could be wrong but do not expect anything like that. I do firmly believe that the Brady Bunch and the democrats will try to restrict gun ownership but also believe they learned from their mistakes from 1994 and will try a different approach this time.

This is pure speculation on my part but I do not see a big push for gun laws early in an Obama presidency. While I'm sure he would like to do so, the democratic leaders do not want to pick a major fight right off the bat when they have other things to do that are more important. If Obama gets elected for a second term that will be where we will see the most restrictions.

When/If the economy improves and things settle down that is when I would expect a push for more gun law changes. The words "gun control" and "gun ban" evoke a lot of emotions on both sides and I think they will not be used. I expect more "gun safety" laws and a push for registration of "assault weapons". I would not be surprised to see AR-15 type rifles treated like fully automatic rifles are today. Legal to own if you jump through the hoops and pay the fees but many will feel it is not worth the trouble. Once again this is just my opinion but I think they will try to attack gun owners from a position that we are not expecting and use terms that non-gun owners do not find as offensive.

If I were looking to buy a gun today I would wait on the AR and see what happens to the market. I believe the panic buying will subside and prices will come down in a few months. If you can find a Glock or any other handgun at a fair price I would buy it.
Old November 27, 2008, 10:28 AM   #14
SPUSCG

seriously dont get a glock, especially a glock 17. in 9mm sig229 or browning hi-power. id go .40 cal, or get a kimber
Old November 27, 2008, 10:46 AM   #15
sholling

IF you can find an AR lower for a fair (<$150) price then that's what I'd do. I think think that you're probably too late to find one for that if you can find one at all and most magazines are on backorder. Most AR manufacturers are now quoting 4-6 weeks for stripped lowers and 12-20 weeks for uppers.

As far as the odds of a ban I'd call it 50:50, but if it comes it will probably be in the first 7 months of 2009 or will wait until 2013. That's because the political critters 1) need the cover of the economy to keep us distracted; 2) need to show at least one accomplishment in the first 180 days and they can't fix the economy or bring about world peace that fast; 3) need this to be done early enough for the sheeple to forget they've been screwed before 2010 congressional elections. 2011 is out because it's too close to the 2012 presidential election. Thus my SWAG of 2009 or 2013.
Old November 27, 2008, 11:00 AM   #16
spodwo

Quote:
glock 17. in 9mm sig229 or browning hi-power. id go .40
Money is an issue and the above two are not bargin bin specials.

I am not a GLOCKoPHILE but for the price, durability, easy of use....that is what I would get on a budget.

My choices are SIG, S&W MP....

But NOT a Kimber - WAY overpriced, lousy mags, etc.
Old November 27, 2008, 11:04 AM   #17
SPUSCG

glocks and good conditon used brownings are same around where i live, a nice hi powers like 450
Old November 27, 2008, 11:42 AM   #18
ThreeStepsAhead

If it were me, I'd get the AR.

The G.I. Mags (30 rd. cap) are very cheap, $7-$10 a pop. If you can get near a military post, the surplus stores can hook you up even better. The Soldiers who end their service or retire have loads and loads of issued stuff they just get rid of when they move; mags being part of that.

Ammo...that's a different story. If you find it cheap, snatch it. If it gets down to the Jeffersonian prophecy of watering the tree of liberty with blood of patriots and tyrants...I'm going to bet that nearly any round will do-

"Be polite and courteous to everyone, but always have a plan to kill them."
Old November 27, 2008, 11:50 AM   #19
Creature

Quote:
Now here's my dilemma.

As much as I DESPISE falling into the post-election frenzy, I WOULD like to make a few purchases for assurance.
Huh?
Old November 27, 2008, 01:04 PM   #20
azredhawk44

www.gunsmith.net

I bought one of these last week. It arrived at my FFL on Tuesday. Total cost with shipping and FFL transfer fees was around $210 or so.

It is C-L-E-A-N. Very well executed, very high craftsmanship, no burrs/machine marks/rough edges anywhere. Supposedly blueprint quality... I don't know about such things, but I can believe it after looking at the finished product. I'm very happy with it.

Lowers are out there for good prices... you just gotta be smarter than the panic buyers. If you're really smart, you'll find something truly memorable.
Old November 27, 2008, 01:39 PM   #21
OlympicArmsFan

I would also look at pawn shops. I saw a GLOCK G19 in my local shop here for 400 bucks and it looked new. Also sometimes you can score at pawn shops for ARs but right now I dought it.

If you buy the GLOCK now look to build an AR. Take a look at Essential Arms lower receivers. They used to be 85 bucks now I think they are 100 bucks and then look at one of the parts kit places to get a full upper kit that has the lower parts its way cheaper.

I say if you buy a Glock and build an AR you get both for 1000-1200 right now.

Also a sale right now on AR-15 mags at MidWayUSA.com I belive 9.99 and they are in stock.

I myself dont care for the Hi Cap mags that stick out of the grip of the GLOCK. I carry 15 round one's.
Old November 27, 2008, 03:51 PM   #22
illbfrank

Go with the rifle first, then AR mags and ammo, then a sidearm. You won't regret it. A long arm is what you will need most for what lies ahead...I wish it were not so, but I fear it may be.
Old November 27, 2008, 04:44 PM   #23
Creature

Quote:
Go with the rifle first, then AR mags and ammo, then a sidearm. You won't regret it. A long arm is what you will need most for what lies ahead...I wish it were not so, but I fear it may be.
Wow....delusions of rebellion and armed insurrection. Someone's got it bad.
Old November 27, 2008, 08:17 PM   #24
vox rationis

I'd get an AR if you don't have one. If you can get a Colt 6920 for $1500 or less, get it, they have gone up from around $1350-$1450 to $2000 in the last 3 weeks or so