The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 23, 2006, 05:06 PM   #26
urbanassault

All the pits that have been in my family like to retrieve, so the name is what makes the dog bad? My Presa loves to play, she likes to wrestle and when things get rowdy she play bites (very gently) she knows her own strength and would not hurt anybody not intending to hurt her, she is very smart. So what you are saying is that pistols are more dangerous than rifles? Guns and dogs are the same in the respect that a bigger gun/dog can kill you easier that DOES NOT mean that only big dogs/guns can kill or harm you, you are putting a stereotype on certain dogs. I knew a guy who had a black bear and a guy who had a mountain lion, neither of those killed anybody. The type of animal is barely relevant, the type of training is, same as guns.

Quote:
Why, because I observed that a dog bred for certain characteristics might be more likely to express those characteristics? Retrievers like to go get the ball. What do pit bulls like to do?
Only retrievers like to go get balls? Is that because of their name, and only labs are good for hunting? So do ****zu's (sp) do? What where rotts bred for? Herding... You have never owned one of these dogs and dont seem to plan but once you do, you get back to me and tell me how brilliant and beautiful they are.

I think you should just keep your negative, narrow minded, stereotypical comments and ideas to yourself.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 23, 2006, 05:11 PM   #27
urbanassault

Thats funny the forum blocked the [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]zu(sp), oh and by the way the only person I know that got really attacked by a dog was one of my buddys who got bit in the face by a collie. He had to get plastic surgery to repair his forhead.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 23, 2006, 05:11 PM   #28
Handy

Quote:
I knew a guy who had a black bear and a guy who had a mountain lion, neither of those killed anybody.
This statement pretty much proves this is a pointless conversation. A pit bull is at least a domesticated animal. The stats on those hurt or killed by trying to tame wild animals is pretty much legend.

Animals (and people) have hard wired predilections called "instincts". If you don't believe they exist, then we're all done.

Anyone who has spent time with a wide variety of breeds will see that the more specialized breeds definitely attempt to express that breeding. Many (not all) dogs will fetch - retrievers live for it.
Old January 23, 2006, 05:25 PM   #29
urbanassault

From everything you have told me a pitbull is not a domesticated animal, you have made it to be a predatory animal wired to hurt. We have had over half a dozen of these dogs in my family (between pits, rots, mastif's, bulldogs and presas) without problem. Now lets reiterate, have been bitten by a chow and a jack russ, friend, bit, face, plastic surgery. You only hear about the big dogs because nobody puts, "man bit calf by poodle" in the paper. The dogs have a bad name, because of people like you. Guns have a bad name because of people with similar views, so keep it up maybe you can get 'assault dogs' banned!

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 23, 2006, 05:33 PM   #30
Handy

If you're bitten by a 15 pound dog, there's no reason to put it in the paper.

Of interest, you never hear of either of the two biggest dogs, Great Danes or St. Bernards, hurting anyone.

For that matter, I'm sure we could create a long list of very safe bets in dogs that weigh as much or more than a pit bull. Goldens, setters, greyhounds, yada, yada.

Size is definitely not the issue. These animals got a reputation from the number of incidents specifically involving them, despite relatively low numbers. All sorts of animals are "abused" as you keep claiming, but that certainly wouldn't account for the reputation.

Guns don't have volition or a brain. Dogs do.
Old January 23, 2006, 05:44 PM   #31
urbanassault

The reason you dont hear about those dogs attacking people is because of the owners. You dont have Johnny crackhead protecting his house with a great dane or St.Bernards or a greyhound. They are either looking for a dog that is supposably bred to attack or is cheap, these dogs are neither but if you wanted em to you could easily get a great dane to attack somebody. I have said it before, you obviously didnt read it so I will say it again, it is the trainers not the dogs breed that makes them ill tempered. The presa canario is much more of a formidable fighting dog than a pit, you dont hear a bunch of people getting attacked by a presa, because the kind of person who would mistreat a dog is not the kind of person to spend $1500-$2000 on a dog. Get it straight guy, wild dogs arent running around downtown attacking people, gangbangers and trained/neglected dogs are. Non domesticated animals can be domesticated the same as dogs and cats, you just have to commit.
I could be wrong you could take my advise and go out and get a pit, then get bit in the head, if that happens you can have the privilage of telling me "i told yah so" until then open your mind or close your mouth.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 23, 2006, 05:53 PM   #32
OJ

Beautiful Ridgebacks!! I had one some 30 years ago - highly intelligent - the reputation he had with the neighbors (and he was great with kids and adults) was you talked to him in sentences. I could take him into the obedience ring any day and get at least 190 points out of 200 possible!

Here's my welcoming committee at 8 months of age. Motto - drown'em in drool!!! Very dangerous.

[IMG][/IMG]

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old January 23, 2006, 06:00 PM   #33
Mal H
Staff

Closed - off topic and getting into a serious "more heat, less light" area.
Closed Thread