The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 6, 2008, 01:28 PM   #1
gonbugin

Rem. 550-1

Hello all,
New to the forum and look forward to a lot of reading. I have just been given a Rem. 550-1 from my mom. I thank it came from my dad's side ( he's dead and mom doesn't remember). I do remember shooting it when I was a kid.

I sent the patent # to Remington hoping to find out how old it is.

Anyway, does anyone know how to take this thing apart and cleen it and how does it compare to todays .22's? Also it has a ejection deflector on it. I like it being left handed, however it is as old as the gun, so I know it was not put on for me. Did these rifles come deflectors or is there a left handed relative I don't know about?

Thanks
Old December 6, 2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Bud Helms

gonbugin, welcome to TFL.

You will have better luck sending Remington the model number and serial number if you want that info.

Here's an online illustrated part breakdown of your rifle: http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...del=0860z550-1

I am moving this to Harley Nolden's Institute for Firearms Research, a forum on this board.
Old December 6, 2008, 05:03 PM   #3
armsmaster270

Part 1

I had one as a kid they came with the deflector on them. First to take it apart make sure the tubular magazine and chamber are empty then back off the screw holding the stock on and remove the stock. On the very rear of the reciever is a cone shaped nut with a screwdriver slot in the rear, back it off there is a dimpled holding plate to keep it on by friction after 1 turn it should ease up. remove the nut, careful it is under spring tension.. the nut & spring should come out. pull the bolt handel back to the wide spot in the bolt handle channel then pull the bolt handle out of the bolt now the bolt should come out the rear of the recieve. If you need more let me know.

I don't think that model had serial numbers I got mine in 1952 for graduating 6th grade
Old December 6, 2008, 07:18 PM   #4
publius

My Grandfather had one that now belongs to my brother .Accurate gun. Yes it came w/a brass deflector. Remove the stock, just one or 2 screws on the bottom of the stock. Remove the brass magazine tube. You should be able to pull the bolt charging pin out of the bolt. Then unscrew the firing pin mechanism from the rear of the action, it's obvious it has a flathead screwdriver slot and is sometimes knurled. After you remove that the bolt should slide out of the back. Clean everything with solvent, oil and reassemble. I think I remember that right.
Old December 6, 2008, 10:27 PM   #5
gonbugin

Thanks guys,

I shot it about twenty times today and it felt the same as I remembered it. Hasen't been fired in at least 20 years; didn't jam or anything. Next is break it dowm and clean in.

Bud thanks for the illustrated part breakdown
Old December 6, 2008, 10:30 PM   #6
gonbugin

oh... thanks for letting me know about the brass deflector. Keeps me from looking for phantom lefties
Old December 7, 2008, 07:47 AM   #7
eastbank

there are letters on the left hand side of the barrel near the reciever, these are remingtons year codes, go to remington serial numbers on google and go to rimfires or the model 550. good luck. eastbank.