The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 20, 2008, 09:53 PM   #1
mahead

Mossberg 144 vs Remington 513T which would you pick and why?

In the past few days crusing around some of the gun shops I have come across these two rifles. both are heavy barrel target .22's and both have front and rear sights. The Remington has Redfield sights and the Mossberg sights just have mossberg on them but I think they may be Lyman. The wood on the Mossberg is in better shape but the bluing on the Remington is better. Both are in good to very good condition. Both are priced within $25 of each other.

So any reason I should pick one over the other?
Old December 20, 2008, 10:38 PM   #2
CraigC

I'd take the Remington any day of the week, they're simply better guns. Doesn't the 144 have that infernal plastic triggerguard?
Old December 20, 2008, 10:48 PM   #3
B. Lahey

I've got a 513T "matchmaster", it's been my squirrel rifle for decades. It works well and is very accurate once you get the hang of it. The trigger is not great, but if you lube the contact surfaces of the trigger mechanism with graphite (hornady "one-shot" graphite spray works) it will get a little better.

It's not perfect and it's not an Anschutz, but it's a good rifle. I bet you would get more bang for your buck with the 513 over the Mossburg. It sounds like either the Mossburg is way overpriced or the 513 is way underpriced if the prices are that close.
Old December 20, 2008, 10:52 PM   #4
kraigwy

I dont know about the Mossberg but we had a lot of 513Ts in my marksmanship unit. They were dern fine rifles and wern't picky about ammo like a lot of target rifles were.

We used them to train JRs who were too small for the Winchester Model 52s. We even modified some for Biathalon Rifles.

I dont know what type of Redfield sight your talking about, but some of them are worth more then the rifle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071