The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old July 7, 2008, 05:54 PM   #176
cubanitojr

Today contacted www.saf.org They told me there is nothing they can do.

:-\

They told me that current legistation is controled by the "Democrats", they have no interest in allowing more people obtaining firearms, again the gun control crowd in action. He also mention a case, that a Chezch legal OR resident with an OR concealed weapon permit got stopped in WA, charged with an Alien illegally having a firearm without a license. He was in WA helping a friend move, and had no idea of WA wonderful laws.

PS. Republican states have no issues with legal aliens owning guns.
Old July 24, 2008, 08:29 AM   #177
MD_Willington

I can concur, my local Reps are Republican and from what I've seen, farming people... I think "common sense" is a bit more prevalent in rural settings..

Any way, check out what is going on at THR in this thread:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=373714

waverace has been doing some digging into the issue.

PS SAF never called me back either...

Membership has its privileges

FYI, the NRA is not very helpful on this either.
Old July 25, 2008, 12:14 PM   #178
cubanitojr

Legal action

I have heard sometimes Attorneys would take a civil case for free when it has strong merit and there is a substancial profitability. It looks like the case is defined in 3 fronts:

1. 14 amendment.
2. DOJ complaint.
3. Color of law.

I am not an Attorney, but common sense tells me AFL is purely unconstitutional.

I can not find any info. on the Oregon Chezch citizen. Do you have it?

How about contacting ACLU?

================================
I also found this very interesting idea:

My roommate is a citizen, he wants to buy a firearm, I am a permanent resident we both live in the same house. If he buys a firearm for himself, then he would be exposing a permanent resident alien to firearm possession charges (I would not allow that) since I can not obtain an AFL and can not prevent my roommate from buying a firearm, the state of WA is jeopardizing my legal status and effectively preventing my roommate (a citizen from obtaining a firearm). I think the state of WA is "liable" here for this particular broken law.

Any thoughts here?

Last edited by cubanitojr; July 28, 2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old September 3, 2008, 02:16 AM   #179
pricedo

Alien Firearms License sham in reality a blockade to Canadian hunters

I am a Canadian citizen & hold a valid Utah CFP, Pennsylvania LTCF, New Hampshire Pistol/Revolver License & a Maine Non-Resident Permit to Carry Concealed Firearms. The CCW issuing agencies of those states didn't have any problem getting information from the FBI in order to grant me a permit.

The inability to obtain background information from the FBI for purposes of vetting alien permit applicants seems to be limited solely to Washington State unless of course you believe that the above four states (NH, PA, UT, ME) broke the federal law in order to grant me their concealed carry permits. Believe me I don't have that much "pull".

In 99% of the cases any aliens that would conceivably use a firearm in the State of Washington wouldn't be Russians, Chinese or Japanese........they'd be Canadians.

Let's call this shabby contrivance of Washington State's exactly what it is and that is a fabricated drawbridge to bar Canadians from hunting in Washington State.

Quote:
The WA state's Department of Licensing web site has a notice that reads:

"Special alert for alien firearms license applicants --
We are unable to issue alien firearms licenses at this time. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has told law enforcement agencies it is against federal law to use federal databases for background checks if the agencies share the results with a non-criminal justice agency such as the Department of Licensing. This means law enforcement agencies cannot perform the background checks required by state law for issuing an alien firearms license. Without these background checks, we cannot complete the application process or issue alien firearms licenses."
What an absolutely spineless & shameful example of "political weasel words" the above quote is.

Why didn't Washington State just have the guts to say straight up & upfront "We don't want Canadians hunting here".

Last edited by pricedo; September 3, 2008 at 08:38 AM.