The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 30, 2006, 10:15 PM   #1
ITEOTWAWKI

1911 Custom work...

As I recently aquired a mil-spec 1911, I've been thinking of doing a little work to it, but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into first.

It's a regular ole parkerized SA Mil-spec that had a wrap around hogue finger grip that made it feel thicker in the front and too thin in the back. As a result of the slightly different positioning the grip forces, the stock grip safety now bites a little. I'm inclined to believe a full beavertail would fix the issue while giving me a great grip in conjuction with the hogue, I'm just worried about what else a 'simple' beavertail would require.

40 dollars for a Wilson Beavertail.

another 40 for a commander hammer

20 for a sear & another 20 for a trigger

I'd like to think that they'd magically fit without requiring paying a smith but I'm doubtful. Your thoughts?
Old September 30, 2006, 11:30 PM   #2
Lycanthrope

http://forums.1911forum.com/

Go there.

In my experience you can get a decent hammer and sear package from the same source and it will drop in without trouble. Not a 2lb pull, but no problem. A simple Chip McCormick sear and hammer would be fine and relatively cheap.

Triggers take a little bit of filing to ride in the channel smooth. Most are oversized when new. Not hard to do. The bow is usually fine the trigger itself needs filed (one stroke top then one stroke bottom) until it fits.

Beavertails vary. Not all are cut the same. Depending on the frame it might drop in and look smooth or need significant frame blending. You will also have to file the grip safety tab, because it will be oversized as well.
Old September 30, 2006, 11:35 PM   #3
Bigfatts

I've installed a couple of the Wilson drop in beavertails and they both fit just fine with no modification needed. I also doubt the hammer would require any special treatment. Overall, all of the parts you mentioned should not be a problem for you to install yourself if you have a decent knowledge of the pistol's internals. Here is a link on stripping the 1911 down to the frame and reassembly.

http://surplusrifle.com/pistol1911/f...mble/index.asp

All you would have to do is strip it and reassemble it with the new parts. Just make sure to try the hammer and safeties many times to check for proper function before firing.
Old October 1, 2006, 12:49 AM   #4
Fremmer

Send it to a Smith who specializes in 1911s to have the work done. Especially for the sear and trigger. Cylinder & Slide, Wilson, Ed Brown, WildAlaska's shop, there are lots of options. It will be done right, and it will be safe (which is always a good thing). JMHO.
Old October 1, 2006, 12:49 AM   #5
Majic

Not all drop-in parts drop in and work reliably every time. Some require a little fitting and you won't know until you tackle the job. Why not just take that wrap around off and put on standard panels?