The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 9, 2002, 04:00 PM   #26
teombe

Blackhawk:

Point taken.

No, I don't have any hard data to back up my claims of reliability.

Yes, I do have limited experience with the P32. Held 2, shot 1.
Out of the two examples I have had experience with, one of them was brand new and functioned flawlessly, and the other had to be sent back to KT for repairs (for one of the oft-mentioned repair problems on these boards), and functioned flawlessly after that. What does that prove?

Nothing for the readers on this thread. A lot for me. That's understandable. YMMV.
Old July 9, 2002, 04:34 PM   #27
Blackhawk

teombe,

Thanks for clarifying that "for the record."
Old July 9, 2002, 07:49 PM   #28
Doug S

My P-32 has been 100% with over 500 rounds of hp & ball. No fluff and buff out of the box reliable. I'm surprised to see that the new P-32 are in the 70XXX range. I didn't consider mine (35XXX) range to be an early model as I just bought it last June. I've considered the Guardian and may get one in the future. It appears to be a nicely made pistol, but I think you get "more bang for you buck" with the Kel-Tec. From what I've read the Guardian's are more ammo finicky and seem to go back to the factory just as often as the Kel-Tec's. I think that this is going to happen with any small pistol. The Kel-Tec has a locked breach with is supposed to increase strength. Nice trigger, virtually no recoil, accurate. It's my favorite pistol. Do a search and you find that this topic has been discussed many times. Either pistol appears to be a good choice.
Old July 9, 2002, 07:56 PM   #29
Doug S

I forgot to mention that two close friends also own P-32's (consecutive serial numbers and within 4 & 5 of my own). Both have been 100% reliable out of the box with no fluff and buff. If this and previous posts on this topic are any indication, it does appear that there are a lot more Kel-Tec owners out there posting than 32 Guardian owners.
Old July 9, 2002, 10:02 PM   #30
Toadlicker

Kel Tec is releasing a .380 that is the same size as the 32.

If the .380 tickles your fancy that much, you'll soon have it in either gun.
Old July 9, 2002, 10:56 PM   #31
Blackhawk

Quote:
Kel Tec is releasing a .380 that is the same size as the 32.
Far as I know, that's just a rumor. Do you have any confirmation?
Old July 10, 2002, 12:00 AM   #32
MikeJ

I have a .32 Guardian and a P32 and find things that I like about both. I do appreciate the look and feel of the Guardian and so far it has been 100% reliable. The P32 is one of the early models and I did have to send it back once. It wouldn't always go in to full battery after the first round was fired for subsequent rounds. I called KelTec and they knew exactly what was wrong and were well aware of the problem. I sent it to them, they fixed it and I haven't had any problems since. I still have a "problem" with the fact that the P32 feels like a toy, eventhough it works well and is easy to shoot. I carried the P32 for a long time but have now given it a rest and carry the Guardian. My opinion is that if you are comfortable with the look and feel of the P32 then that is what I would get. KelTec provided superb customer service and from a purely functional point of view I have no complaints. By the same token you can't go wrong with the Guardian. I know this is not a definitive answer but in my opinion both serve their intended purpose quite well. Its just a matter of personal preference. I have an Uncle Mike's pocket holster that I use for the both of them and what I have found is that the Guardian due to its shorter length and height actually conceals better in certain pockets but not by much, although you certainly notice that it is heavier. By the way, I also use an Uncle Mike's IWB for small revolvers that I took the clip off and use that as well for a pocket holster with these guns. Due to some pants pockets having different configurations this holster sometimes works much better than the made for pocket holster. Just thought I'd add that bit of information.
Old July 10, 2002, 01:08 AM   #33
PATH

A great many rounds through my Kel-Tec and it works fine. It is light, inexpensive , and seems to shoot everything I feed it. I carry it during the summer as it is so light and unobtrusive.

I vote for the Kel-Tec!

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old July 10, 2002, 10:15 AM   #34
Onslaught

Quote:
I like these threads....sorta like Ford -vs- Chevy. I suppose I'll be seeing a car window decal of some kid urinating on a P32 in the near-future!
!!!!!

Dozens of NAA owning TFL members are heading to their local detail shop right now to place their custom Calvin sticker order
Old July 10, 2002, 03:03 PM   #35
Toadlicker

Quote:
Far as I know, that's just a rumor. Do you have any confirmation?
Unfortunately, no. I checked around on the internet and saw nothing concrete, either. Perhaps I was hoodwinked!

Old July 10, 2002, 08:47 PM   #36
teombe

Quote:
Dozens of NAA owning TFL members are heading to their local detail shop right now to place their custom Calvin sticker order
Okay...I couldn't resist. Moderators--If you think this is inappropriate, please delete the post. FWIW, this is entirely in jest, and not meant to disrespect anyone's corporate entities. For the record, I love Kel-Tec and NAA

Old July 10, 2002, 10:25 PM   #37
Mal H
Staff

Well, at least you know it's Calvin and not just "some kid".

(I was very disappointed when C & H was cancelled.)
Old July 10, 2002, 10:39 PM   #38
mitch1352

I have both, and carry one of them as a third gun at work. I couldn't decide which, so I bought both. I wasn't too high on he P-32 at first, but it grows on you quick. I bougt a used Guardian, then sent it to the factory for some custom upgrades. Looks great and works 100%.
Old July 11, 2002, 01:21 AM   #39
BLiTzNicK

I bought a P32 for one reason, carry. It's not something I'm going to take to the range and target practice with. Occasionally I'll pull it out and fire off the 2 mags I'm carrying, just to stay familiar and provide me with the confidence that if I had pulled the gun in self defense, it would have worked. Sometimes I'll even shoot a box of 50 from it. I have put more than 300 rounds through mine, and haven't had a problem, but I'm not shooting it daily either.

I love mine, the only regret is that I didn't buy the one with the hard chrome slide for $25 more.

I carry mine in the pocket sometimes, but mostly I just use the belt clip.
Old July 11, 2002, 06:29 AM   #40
alamo

If you send your slide to KT, they'll SWAP it for a chrome slide for $20. This part can be sent by regular mail.

Another option is nickel plating by Jack Fuselier, he'll nickel plate YOUR slide for $25. See the link "KTOGers click here for slide plating":

http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com
Old July 11, 2002, 08:56 AM   #41
Onslaught

teombe - ROFLMAO!!

BTW, this is a good place to share what I did yesterday regarding my P32.

I had posted it for sale a while back because I wanted one of the Kahr PM9's when they came out, and didn't think I'd need the P32 anymore. I never BTT'ed the post, because I kinda changed my mind.

A really good guy that I've bought from before e-mailed me that he had done a "search" for P32's, and found my post. I told him what I'd take for it, which was an average price for a used P32 (black/black extra mag), but certainly no "bargain" and I told him so.
To my surprise, he said he'd take it. Well, now I done it... Richard's a good guy, and we made a deal...I'm committed...
So I went and picked it back up from the shop it was at (also for sale, but I had almost gone by and picked it up several times to keep). I held it nearly the whole drive to meet him between Columbus and Atlanta... we met, talked, he gave me the money, I turned over the P32, then we both showed off our other "new acquisitions" (SWEET looking Kimber!)

I rode home sad the entire way... Shoulda kept it. Really liked it. Never had a single problem out of it... etc... When I got back to town, I called my favorite gunshop.

"You still got that Chrome/Black P32?"
"Yep..."
"Will you take $250 and tax for it?"
"Didn't you just sell yours today?"
"Yes"
"Well, yeah, I can do that... come and get it".

Of course, I do realize that I could have just kept mine and had the slide chromed for $25 + shipping, and still have an extra mag... (Yes, KT will swap for $20, but if yours is 100%, don't do it! Get it chromed yourself. It's worth the extra $$$ to keep the same slide!!! )

I sell pistols all the time, and so far, this is the first one I have regretted. I don't sell rifles anymore, because I always miss them.

Sad, isn't it?

P.S. - Richard, if you read this, and think I might have sold you mine because it didn't work or something... I'll gladly trade you this one NIB for mine and $50
Old July 11, 2002, 11:31 AM   #42
Blackhawk

Onslaught - ROFLMAO!!

Does seem like they've got nice personalities, doesn't it?
Old July 11, 2002, 01:31 PM   #43
Onslaught

Quote:
Does seem like they've got nice personalities, doesn't it?
I do stuff like that all the time, so I'm pretty sure I've got a touch of O.C., and I don't mean the spray
Old July 11, 2002, 02:28 PM   #44
BLiTzNicK

Thanks for the info alamo, I won't be sending the slide to KT for the swap, but I might see about having Jack do it. I'm with Onslaught on this one. My gun is 100%, and I don't want to chance a new slide ruining that. Jack's service may be the way to go.
Old July 11, 2002, 04:48 PM   #45
alamo

Jack did my P-11 and one of my P-32s, he does great work. I also did the slide swap for chrome on my other P-32. I like both finishes but prefer the nickel.
Old July 11, 2002, 05:12 PM   #46
Eddie C.

I have the Guardian 380 and love it. Don't have any experience with the Kel-Tec. But there are a lot of both out there so try 'em both and you decide. I bought the Guardian in 380 because I have a Seecamp 32. They look quite a bit alike. I heard the Seecamp when it comes out would be running about $700.00-$800.00 and up. Also heard of 1000 round lifespan. I don't know if thats true. I know Larry Seecamp and run into him all the time at gunshops here in Connecticut. I love the guy but it's hard to get a straight answer out of him about any new products. I think basically cause he doesn't know himself. In talking to Larry I'm always reminded of Professor Periwinkle on the old Superman T.V. series. The Guardian has a Lifetime Warranty.
Old July 11, 2002, 05:19 PM   #47
Blackhawk

alamo,
Quote:
I like both finishes but prefer the nickel.
Why? What are the pros & cons of each?
Old July 11, 2002, 07:12 PM   #48
Eddie C.

Mal H, Calvin & Hobbes was my unabashed favorite comic strip of all time. Man do I miss them. That would be the first thing I would read when the paper came.
Old July 11, 2002, 10:29 PM   #49
alamo

I like the nickel a tad better just because it is not as bright as the chrome. The chrome is a pretty bright matte silver - it is not shiny though. The nickel is duller and is not as bright. This is just personal preference, not anything significant. Both finishes have held up well. And as was pointed out, Jack nickel plates your slide vs. the swap for chrome. There is a small chance that a new chrome slide might not be as reliable as the one it replaced - or vice versa though is some cases. Also Jack will F&B your slide before nickel plating it if you haven't done it already.
Old July 11, 2002, 11:18 PM   #50
Blackhawk

Thanks, alamo.

Another question: What about the barrel? I have a vague notion that KT also exchanges the barrel for a chromed one. True or not? If true, is the bore chromed as well? How about Jack vis-a-vis the barrel?