The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 7, 2008, 08:53 PM   #76
UniversalFrost

ok, the original bad batch of rifles was sako, tikka and beretta stainless models (they all have the same barrel manufacturer). The failures of the barrels was due to bad stainless steel.

I am guessing that this rifle that blew up today was from an old batch and the serial number was within the range of the recall and either the dealer or the owner didn't return the rifle to get rebarreled.

I recently purchased a tikka t3 tactical (chambered in .338 lapua mag) and they have the stainless barrels that are black teflon coated. This was a used rifle and it fell into the serial number range of those with defective barrels. A quick call to the Tikka rep's and was told that this one had been rebarreled and not to worry. I tested the rifle by remote firing with it in a caldwell leadsled and a simple 50 ft of string on the trigger. Used really hot handloads that would have blown it for sure if it was still defective, but no problems.

Let us know what sako has to say about the rifle.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old February 12, 2008, 12:21 AM   #77
David_S

Sako M995 EU safety warning

Hi Folks I'm new here.

Stumbled on this thread just after I had bought a second hand Sako M995 in 6.5x55 SE. Shook me a bit as I had always aspired to a Sako or at least a Tikka on the basis of their accuracy and quality. The M995 has a blued barrel so I thought I was OK but then I came across the following safety warning from the EU

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/dyna/r....cfm?rx_id=136

I contacted Beretta NZ and they responded immediately admitting there could be a problem and would check out the serial no. If there was a problem they would send me a modified firing pin for fitting by a "competent gunsmith". They came back to me a couple of days later stating that my rifle was not affected. So full marks to Beretta NZ.

One thing that does puzzle me a bit about the rifle is that there is no visible marking on the barrel indicating calibre etc. It may be concealed by the stock, which I have not removed, but all my other rifles are clearly marked with the calibre, proof load etc. Is this a Sako thing?
Old February 12, 2008, 09:19 AM   #78
UniversalFrost

quick question,

what would a modified firing pin do for a problem with a barrel? The exploding barrel issue is caused by an incorrect manufacturing process of the stainless steel barrels (and yes even the blued/blackened stainless barrels, because I guess all they make now is stainless barrels and just leave em' stainless or blacken them)?

As far as markings, my TIKKA T3 tactical clearly states .338 Lapua Mag on the new barrel that they had put on to correct the faulty barrel in the recall. I have also seen some of the older SAKO's and they clearly stated the caliber. Not sure why they didn't mark yours where it is visible. Maybe it is below the stock line, but not sure why they would do that either.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old February 12, 2008, 02:13 PM   #79
David_S

Quick answer - nothing!

My post was to draw attention to another Sako problem, unrelated to barrels, which affects only the M995 and TRG-S and that in this case I had a quick response from Beretta. If you go to the EU link I posted and scroll down past all the defective toys you will find:-

Quote:
There is a risk that when the rifle is fired with a defective cartridge – either because it was reloaded or because the cartridge had a primer that pierced upon detonation – the rearward gas escape might cause a broken portion of the firing pin to exit the rear portion of the rifle towards the shooter.

No actual accidents happened but one incident was confirmed in Italy and one in Canada. Ejected firing pin may cause injury to the shooter, especially if the shooter is firing the rifle without use of protective safety glasses.
So presumably the modified firing pin fixes this problem.

In any case my barrel is not stainless so I am spared the "exploding barrel syndrome". And, yes, both Tikka and Sako still produce rifles with non-stainless barrels.

The lack of markings of my M995 barrel is a bit strange as there is nothing I can see which indicates which cartridge it is chambered for. I also suspect my 243 rounds would slip quite happily into a 6.5x55 chamber and maybe my 7x57 which would be even more disastrous. I must check with an empty case. I have asked Beretta about the lack of barrel markings but have not had a reply. It certainly looks like the original standard heavy M995/TRG-S barrel.
Old November 22, 2022, 05:12 PM   #80
Tstrain

I realize this thread is extremely old, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience dealing with this Tika recall. I can't find any information from the manufacturer about it.

Unfortunately, my fathers gun exploded and injured his hand quite severely. It appears his gun falls within the serial numbers listed above, but I'd really like to find some information from the manufacturer. If there was a recall, it looks like his gun was purchased after the fact.

Thank you all.
Old November 22, 2022, 11:05 PM   #81
JohnKSa
Staff

Contact the manufacturer directly either by letter or phone call. They may not have information on their website after more than a decade, but if the rifle is affected, I suspect they will take care of you.