The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 8, 2006, 07:46 PM   #1
Socrates3000

AK 47 Safety Manipulation

What's the quickest way to manipulate an ak47 safety?
Old April 8, 2006, 08:35 PM   #2
doubleaes2

While watching TV and with an EMPTY gun, practice sliding your hand off of the grip forward to the safety, push it down firmly and quickly with the side of your thumb. Repeat about 250,000,000 times. If your safety is very stiff, you may be able to bend it out a fraction of an inch. I really don't recommend this though, and besides, your thumb will son be bulging with newly acquired muscles.
Old April 8, 2006, 10:43 PM   #3
hillmillenia

Safety? What safety?

Seriously though, If you grab your weapon for defense, disengage as you pick up the rifle. If you are on patrol in dangerous territory, leave it down and keep your finger off the trigger. The only way in either event is to release the grip and use your thumb to push it down.
Old April 9, 2006, 12:56 AM   #4
Hkmp5sd

And remember, if you happen to have a real AK-47, the selector goes from safe to full auto to semi auto. Just the opposite of most of the machineguns made in the West.
Old April 9, 2006, 06:49 AM   #5
joshua

hillmilenia has it right. If you are in unfriendly territories then it's cocked and finger off the trigger is your fastest safety. That's like the scene from "Blackhawk Down", the dude said "Here's my safety" while showing his trigger finger. I own a couple of AK type of rifles and I always dreaded taking it off safety. When I hunt with my NHM91 I tend to just keep the hammer down and charge it when I see game. I've always thought about how clumsy the safety is on the AK, with the sound it makes the darn thing can get you killed when disengaging it with a cocked hammer. I usually use my thumb with my my fingers by the trigger guard and then slip my shooting hand around the pistol grip. josh
Old April 9, 2006, 07:21 AM   #6
ohen cepel

I read somewhere that the Russians in combat have a bit of a "trick" for this. However, I'm not sure if I recall correctly. I think it's that they keep it slung across them with their palm on the safety. If needed they push down and then bring the rifle into operation.

Gross muscle movement is much easier under stress.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old April 9, 2006, 08:13 AM   #7
BlueTrain

One of my few complaints about the AK series of rifles is the safety. Not how it works or anything but the fact that it is borderline sharp and not very large, though you might not want it too large. Yes, it does make more noise than any other safety I can think of, too.

For those of you who hunt, what are the issues relating to the safety on your rifle or shotgun? The safeties on some older guns, if they have any, are not always as slick as on more recent guns. I never thought the safety on a Mauser was that easy to manipulate and that's what's on the '03 Springfield. Rommel makes reference to advancing infantry with rifles off safety in his book "Infantry Attacks," in such a way to suggest that the practice was not recommended.

Anyone ever notice how similar the safety on an AK is to the old Remington Model 8 autoloader?
Buy War Bonds.
Old April 9, 2006, 01:05 PM   #8
J.D.B.

You could try one of these neat solutions to the ergo question:
http://www.krebscustom.com/CustomParts.html
These are "enhanced" selectors for using the index finger.
Also here for a little simpler version from Power Custom:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...spx?p=21572&s=
Josh
Old April 9, 2006, 01:27 PM   #9
Dre_sa

whack it!

a friend of mine has a saiga hunting rifle, i asked the same question.
he promptly demonstrated that a sharp downward hit on the safety with the heel of the hand did the job just fine. however this was a saiga, and thusly only had 2 setting to the safety (safe and semi- auto) youd have to practise the motion to get it to stop on the auto mark if you have one and intend to use it. also good thick skin is required other wise a cut and some blood can be expected, not that it would affect the rifle's abiltiy to function.
Old April 9, 2006, 07:38 PM   #10
DTakas

Personally I don't think the safeties on AKs were made to be used frequently. I think they were made for safe storage and transport and in the field the trigger finger safety (as mentioned above) was to be used.

I have heard that the reason AKs go from safe to full to semi is because the safety is so stiff that when it snaps off safe it frequently overshoots the center position, so in reality when you flip the safety off it ends up on semi. I don't know for sure if that's true but it sounds believable.

If you are looking for a better safety on your AK check out the black jack buffers S.W.I.F.T. safeties.
http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/inde...roducts_id=202
They are of a slightly different design, they can be used to lock the bolt back, and can supposedly be operated without removing the firing hand from the firing position. Personally because of how stiff the safeties are I find it difficult to believe that they can easily be used as advertised but who knows I've never played with one.
Old April 9, 2006, 07:46 PM   #11
AK103K

The Ak's safety really isnt that big a deal if you practice a little.

It can be done quickly with no more noise than an M1/M14's safety being "clicked" off, or it can be done quietly as the AR's and still just about as fast.

The quick way is done with the shooting hand on the grip and the rifle at ready or being shouldered. Place your hand flat on the side of the receiver with the tip of your middle finger on the "shelf" at the end of the lever. Now hook your thumb around the back of the grip. Now just "sweep" your finger down until it stops. Safety is off. Depending on how stiff your safety is, you may want to back up your middle finger with your trigger finger for more strength and/or you may want to adapt the whole thing to what feels best to you, but the basic works well.

Some safety's have a sharp point on the nub behind the shelf that rides on the receiver(makes the arc) and catches on top in a little relief, You may want to "break" both the nub and the relief slightly with a file to get it to move easier. I wouldnt bend the arm.

To take the safety off with out any noise or as an alternate method. If you cradle the rifle in your arms with the fingers of your shooting hand wrapped around the mag just under the receiver and your thumb on the safety's shelf, slowly slide the safety off as you start to raise the rifle towards your shoulder. As the safety comes off your hand is already just coming towards the grip. All this is one motion and easy to do. When you try it a couple of times, I think you'll find the rifle is in your shoulder and your hand on the grip ready to go.

99.9% of the Ak's so called "problems" go away with a little practice and familiarization.
Old April 9, 2006, 08:33 PM   #12
MTMilitiaman

Unfortunately, few people view the AK as anything other than a cheap plinker rather than a legitimate weapon platform so they aren't willing to practice and become familiar with it.

The AK is one of the rifles that actually makes being a lefty not too bad.

And the explanation I got for why the true AKs go from 'safe' to 'happy' and then to 'semi' is because they were designed from the ground up to provide automatic fire and when the rifle was adopted, they figured that is how it would most likely be used.