The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 22, 2002, 01:29 PM   #1
1911greg

gun registration

does the state government know how many guns you own and what types, do they have like a data base where they can type in your name, social security and figure out what makes and models you own? If so why did they implement assualt weapon registration.
Old February 22, 2002, 07:48 PM   #2
graystar

only the state that require registration

The form that you fill out when you buy a gun is kept by the store you bought from. They call you in, but no information about the gun is passed.

If you have a concealed weapons license, you don't even need to call in cause you are "pre-qualified".

The records must be kept for 20 years. After that they can be thrown away. I think that if a place goes out of business, the records must be sent to the feds.

Now, if your state requires registration of firearms, then they will know what you have. Sometimes a state doesn't require registration but a municipality does. For example, in NYS you don't need to register rifles, but in NYC you do.
Old February 22, 2002, 08:35 PM   #3
biere

A search on the 911 fallout would help. Ashcroft denied the fbi or whomever access to records of who bought firearms. There really aren't supposed to be records of that, they have to destroy them after 90 days or so maybe. I forget.

After lots of research, I decided I can not prove either way who is doing what. If concerned, get firearms that involve no paperwork if legal. If unconcerned, enjoy life and carry on.

I vote for both.
Old February 23, 2002, 03:22 AM   #4
madmike

if/when they bring me a list of weapons, by type and serial number, that they wish me to register, I will do so.

Obviously, any weapon not on the list doesn't exist, and I can't register what doesn't exist.

Obviously, since all weapons mfrd after June 1 1968 have serial numbers, there are no weapons without serial numbers.

http://www.SharpPointyThings.com
Old February 23, 2002, 01:39 PM   #5
biere

Of course I have actually traded some, and I might be selling one or two that kind of duplicate stuff.

Until everytransfer is required to be papered, it will be hard to know who has what without busting in the door and searching things with metal detecors.
Old February 23, 2002, 04:18 PM   #6
Oakleaf

Those who have not done so, please refer to my posts on the UK position.

Registration is the bed rock of the mentality that says you need permission to have a firearm. Can be made to sound extremely reasonable etc. But if you lose that one, the rest WILL follow.

Hard on it's heels is good reason - you need no reason to exercise a right. If a reason is applied it becomes, by that definition, something other than a right.
Old February 23, 2002, 05:23 PM   #7
deej

Forward traces

Is the BATF still doing forward traces?

You know, they show up at an FFL for their unannounced, warrantless inspection that FFLs are forced to agree to, look at the 4473s for firearms they consider to be naughty (handguns, EBRs, 22s, etc), and make sure that none of the owners of those firearms are naughty.

DJ
"Thus, the particular phraseology of the Constitution of the United States confirms and strengthens the principle, supposed to be essential to all written Constitutions, that a law repugnant to the Constitution is void, and that courts, as well as other departments, are bound by that instrument."

- Chief Justice Marshall, Marbury v. Madison