The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 21, 2002, 11:31 AM   #1
Armando B

Cop Killer bullets?

I guess I've been doing so much Cowboy Action shooting that I'm out of the loop...?

This anti-gun sheep I know was on a diatribe recently and was whining about

"....those who, with their cold, dead fingers, protect the rights of wife abusers, gun runners to criminals, purchasers of cop killer bullets, and sellers of bomb making equipment and instruction manuals at gun shows."

What are "cop killing bullets"? I thought this was all taken care of several years ago?

What the hec are they calling "Cop Killer" bullets now?
Old November 21, 2002, 11:48 AM   #2
Bogie

What you wanna do is explain the saga of the "cop killer bullet" to 'em.

A few years back, a company called KTW, which was owned by a law enforcement guy (retired?) marketed a bullet that would penetrate a kevlar vest.

Since he didn't want bad guys to get 'em, he sold them only to police departments and the military.

Some congresscritter heard about the "armor piercing bullet" (who was it?) and immediately threw his office into a tizzy cranking out press releases, etc., about the "cop killer" bullets. Much stinko was made in Washington.

What resulted was that the average creep on the street found out that cops wear bullet proof vests, and cops started getting shot in the head a LOT more than they had in the past. The congresscritter got his publicity, and cops got dead.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old November 21, 2002, 12:21 PM   #3
spacemanspiff

some of the ignorant fools i've come across think that a hollowpoint is a 'cop-killer'. they dont know the difference, and are unaware that JHP's in handgun calibers have such a minute chance of penetrating any body armor.
Old November 21, 2002, 12:27 PM   #4
ZekeLuvs1911

They used to call the hollowpoint bullet a dum dum rd aka the cop killer bullet. Also stories abound about how teflon coated bullets goes right through a vest. See the movie Ronin for that bit. Anyway, few sheeple know that the HP rd is actually a more "humane" rd for self defense.
Old November 21, 2002, 01:10 PM   #5
Bogie

The reason the KTW was coated with teflon wasn't to aid in penetration - it was because it was made of a hardened material, and would otherwise tear the heck out of rifling (bet it'd do wonders for ballistic fingerprinting, huh?) without the coating.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old November 21, 2002, 01:23 PM   #6
Jim V

IIRC, KTW were the initials of the inventors of the round. The original round was tungston carbide and had to be coated with something to prevent the bullets from ironing out the lands and grooves. Teflon got the nod. Later they went to hardened steel bullets since they were easier to make (and cheaper). The idea was not to produce a bullet that would go through vests so much, since there was very little criminal usage of body armor at the time, but to produce a bullet that would allow a police officer to shoot through hard cover if needed.

To date, AFIK, NO American law enforcement officer has been shot and killed with a KTW round. After the television program, either 20/20 or 60 Minutes, there were police officers killed that were shot through the head because the bad guys knew of the concealable body armor being worn.

I would think that a bullet that does not deform and passes through the body would be better to be shot with than one that expands and remains in the body. (Assuming that no major organs are struck of course)
Old November 21, 2002, 02:04 PM   #7
dinosaur

Bogie;

Mario Biaggi, highly decorated NYC Police Officer, Bronx Congressman and convicted felon.
Old November 21, 2002, 06:23 PM   #8
Pendragon

re: FMJ vs JHP "humane"

The idea is not that a JHP is more pleasant to get hit with vs a FMJ - not so.

The idea is that if you neet to "stop" someone, the odds are that perhaps only 1 or 2 hits with a JHP are necessary where you might need many many hits with FMJ because there is less "shock" and less energy transfer.

The multiple holes delivered by the many FMJ rounds are thought to be more likely fatal than a few well placed JHPs.

Personally, I think the humaneness of the bullet is of less concern than the effectiveness. But I think this line of thinking has some merit - especially if the extra damage potential of the JHP is brought up in court to show how "you just wanted to kill someone".
Old November 21, 2002, 08:00 PM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Funny thing about cop killing hollowpoint bullets fired from handguns, even some cops believe that the rounds will pierce body armor. There are a couple of episodes from the show COPS where hollowpoint ammo is said by a cop to be able to pierce armor. One was an episode in NJ. Apparently, the cop had never seen what happens when a hollowpoint tries to penetrate body armor. If fired straight on, the hollow point mouth hole tends to try to close up and the bullet mushrooms from the girdle, not the mouth. The mouth ends up being pretty small, but the bullet still expands, and does NOT penetrate. The second Fugitive movie with Tommy Lee Jones has his character shot while wearing a vest. Later in the movie, he is shown fiddling with the rounds taken from his vest. Apparently, they did actually shoot rounds into a vest as they appeared to be deformed in the correct/expected manner.
Old November 21, 2002, 08:49 PM   #10
Gorthaur

Here's a good summary:

http://www.guncite.com/gcgvcopk.html
Old November 21, 2002, 08:50 PM   #11
MikeTx

What about fireman killer bullets? I heard those weren't as bad.
Old November 21, 2002, 08:56 PM   #12
Matthew Courtney

Current attempts to ban "cop killer" bullets aim to ban high powered rifle ammo as many normal high power rifle bullets will penetrate bullet proof vests. It is really just another backdoor approach toward disarming law abiding citizens. The number of Felonies committed against LEO's with high powered rifles remains statistically insignificant.