The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 7, 2007, 07:44 AM   #1
jonas_357

Beretta 92 FS discontinued?

Hi!

I heard that Beretta will discontinue the production of the 92 FS? Do you know anything about that? Is it true?

Jonas
Old February 7, 2007, 09:48 AM   #2
p99guy

I havent heard anything over on the beretta forums...the only thing I could think in that case would be to settle production on the more spacegun version they are pushing (Ninty-Two) but who knows.
Old February 7, 2007, 09:59 PM   #3
croyance

I bump into a Beretta factory salesman now and again and he hasn't mentioned anything - and he knows I like Berettas.
In the US, demand has certainly leveled, it has been around for years. I would think that if the Stoeger Cougars do well, the worse that will happen is that the 92 is discontinued for a while, then the machinery is moved to Turkey and we get the Stoeger 92.
There is always the 90-Two or the Taurus models.
I don't know what the situation is like in Switzerland, but in the US there are always used Berettas to be found.
Old February 7, 2007, 10:48 PM   #4
Snow Fox

I just checked their web site and there's nothing about it there. I know that doesn't mean anything but it's still showing that piece. It wouldn't surprise me htough if they did take it off the market for a while and try to plug the more 'modern' pieces. The 92F always makes me think of Mel gibson in the Leathal Weapon flicks.
Old February 7, 2007, 11:21 PM   #5
theberettaman

No.It's not true.
Old February 7, 2007, 11:39 PM   #6
skeeter1

That's the way it goes, I guess

When I got my Beretta 87 Cheetah Standard (I didn't want the target model), I was lucky to find one NIB. It's no longer listed in their catalog.

Come to think of it, only one of my firearms is still in production, the Marlin 1894C. The rest have all been discontinued, but they're still good shooters, and the values for them keep heading northward.

Keep your eyes open, and I'll bet you can still find a NIB 92FS. That's a great handgun.
Old February 8, 2007, 04:14 AM   #7
CWL

As long as it as a NATO-qualified sidearm, it will continue to be manufactured.
Old February 8, 2007, 04:16 AM   #8
MoBeretta

Did not hear that either.

As a matter a fact I believe in the next couple of months they will be offering the 92 FS in a fully polished stainless steel.
Old February 8, 2007, 01:11 PM   #9
IM_Lugger

Quote:
As a matter a fact I believe in the next couple of months they will be offering the 92 FS in a fully polished stainless steel
is that slide only or with stainless frame as well?
Old February 8, 2007, 09:52 PM   #10
The Body Bagger

Not true in the least, but get one anyways as they're a hell of fine handgun for the money right now. BTW Beretta is again making INOX versions (stainless) of their 92fs currently. The only polished ones that I'm aware of are their Billeniums with carbon fibre grips, the one that I am drooling over to own one of these days.
Old February 9, 2007, 05:29 AM   #11
MoBeretta

At the shot show they had a fully polished Inox (so stainless slide, alluminum frame), and I have heard that this will be offered to the public very soon.

I was looking for a 92 Inox, and when I heard this news decided to wait.
Old February 9, 2007, 11:36 PM   #12
jbmflyer

New to the forum here, so please excuse my ignorance. I just picked up a 92FS about 5 hours ago. I was checking out the beretta website and I the 92FS is shown only in black, and the INOX is stainless. IF it is that the INOX is always the only stainless 92FS version out there, then that is what I got (my first beretta) I've heard great things about them, plan to shoot it for the first time tomorrow. never owned a 9 MM pistol before. My other two pistols are a full size .45 HK USP and a 9 MM HK USP compact for my concealed carry weapon. I chose the stainless version because i have never had a stainless pistol before. Is there anything different between the INOX and the 92 FS in blued other than its fabulous looks?
Old February 10, 2007, 01:04 AM   #13
theberettaman

Beretta did make a blackend stainless model known as the Cajun.Limited run for the NOPD due to the "hoomidy dooooown daer".
Old February 10, 2007, 01:25 AM   #14
The Body Bagger

Congrats on your INOX. The only major difference is that the INOX hold their value better as Beretta makes fewer of them. They tend to produce them in streaks.