The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 29, 2008, 11:56 AM   #1
Drachenstein

Gun Buy Back Program Question

Sooooo, the question being, what prevents a citizen from setting up a table in the same vicinity and offering more money for selected firearms? You wouldn't really need a FLL as you’re buying not selling. You wouldn't need a business license, as again, you’re buying not selling. As we are an open carry state possession is not an issue. Can they legally chase you off or confiscate what has already been purchased?
Old December 29, 2008, 12:23 PM   #2
stephen426

I have certainly thought of this before, but I doubt that the police departments that typically do the buy backs would allow you to set up shop right next to them. I hear they only pay $50 - $100 per gun max. I would certainly pay more than that for quality firearms.

The people who typically sell guns at these buy back programs probably wouldn't sell them to you anyways unless they really needed the money. I imagine they are just trying to get rid of their guns and get more guns off the streets. Maybe the gun belonged to a family member that passed away. I would tend to believe that these kinds of buy backs attract crappy guns like Saturday night specials.

Are there any police officers on here that have participated in gun buy back programs that can confirm or deny these assumptions?
Old December 29, 2008, 12:24 PM   #3
ElectricHellfire

Actually, that is a good point. I can't wait to hear what the answer will be. Too bad most of what would be turned in are garbage weapons. Good question though.
Old December 29, 2008, 12:35 PM   #4
triggerhappy2006

I am pretty sure this idea has crossed all of our minds before. It would be a good idea, there is the whole problem of you now possessing an illegal firearm, as usually they are or intended to be. I don't think you would have a problem with the officers until they came over and said, "hey thats an illegal SBS or SBR, congratulations your under arrest for purchasing an illegal firearm." or something to that extent. Now I have often considered going to a gun buy back thing, and offering to buy some of the more valuable ones for twice what the paid for them, I mean take a firearm from someone who legally can't own one, sell it for profit to someone who can own one, then use the money for police needs. Win-win-win, to bad the liberals would have a poop fit because they want our guns too. Maybe once I become a member of my law enforcement community I'll put some pressure to get a program like that started.
Old December 29, 2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Wuchak

Perhaps just setting up a table and offering to free estimates on the real value of the firearm. No buying, just an estimate, and a business card.

People that are heading down to turn in Grandad's old 1911 that has been in the shoebox in the closet for 60 years might like to know that it's worth a couple of thousand more than that $50 Walmart gift card.
Old December 29, 2008, 01:11 PM   #6
Tom2

Old widows turning in rare artillery Lugers are so rare that it makes the news usually. And maybe stuff they are bringing to the buyback are hot guns, do you want to spend your money buying hot guns and be receiving stolen property with police nearby, or end up losing the money and the guns? I think you will see a hundred buyback guns that are crap before you see a nice one that you would want. Probably you could run an ad in the paper saying "Gun buyback? Why not get more for your guns?" but then you would have to deal with the shady types and their cruddy junk on your own turf. Tell some gansta you won't buy his gun and blow him off? He might come back later with some friends and ruin your day. I would not compete with the police on this one. Maybe keep a bug in the ears of the local gunshops, mom and pop types, and tell them you want to know about interesting new guns that come in the door. They are not gonna take junk as tradeins and therefore most of the stuff is screened for you.
Old December 29, 2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Wuchak

Setting up a table like this would be great the vintage Jennings collector.
Old December 29, 2008, 04:27 PM   #8
zukiphile

Quote:
Setting up a table like this would be great the vintage Jennings collector.
I'm sure lots of rubbish comes in, but it is sad to see servicable items turned in for the cost of a few gallons of gas.

I've noticed in the past, when a local newcast about a buyback shows what is accumulated, there are always a few Ruger MKIIs in the box. I once saw a S&W41 -- hardly what I would call a saturday night special good only for committing a crime.
Old December 29, 2008, 10:18 PM   #9
vytoland

big brother would charge you with some type of criminal act and haul you away
Old December 29, 2008, 11:25 PM   #10
SPUSCG

there was another thread where the idea of turning in crappy guns you buy for cheap (10 dolalr rusted hulk of a rifle, a 55 dollar jennings 22) for 100 bucks at the buyback can make you a tidy profit to buy guns with
Old December 30, 2008, 01:40 AM   #11
chris in va

If people wanted real money for their firearms, they'd head to a gun store or similar.

These people want to see the guns "off the street" and are glad to turn them in, and get a small amount of money in the process.
Old December 30, 2008, 01:50 AM   #12
redwing 40

I think you would have to have an FFL in order to do this. Would you not be in violation of federal laws if you did this without an FFL? The police void back ground checks when they do this and exempt the owners for having stolen firearms. How in the Hell you can sell a stolen gun to the police and void the federal law is hard to figure. If you own or sell a stolen firearm its a federal felony.
Old December 30, 2008, 02:26 AM   #13
dogtown tom

Quote:
redwing 40: I think you would have to have an FFL in order to do this. Would you not be in violation of federal laws if you did this without an FFL? The police void back ground checks when they do this and exempt the owners for having stolen firearms. How in the Hell you can sell a stolen gun to the police and void the federal law is hard to figure. If you own or sell a stolen firearm its a federal felony.
There is no Federal NICS check on the seller, only on the buyer.

The NICS check does not trace the background of the gun, it is a background check on the buyer.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 30, 2008, 07:22 AM   #14
FALPhil

Here's a better question: what is to keep you from going down to the hardware store, buying $20 worth of tube, making 5 zip guns and selling them to the idiots running the buy back program?
Old December 30, 2008, 11:02 AM   #15
Skans

I've got some old broken Iver Johnson .32 topbreak revolvers that I wouldn't mind getting $50 - 100 for. Maybe I'll take my Lorcin .380 after I've practiced gunsmithing on it, and the old broken rusted top-break revolvers down to the next buy back.
Old December 30, 2008, 06:43 PM   #16
leadcounsel

You could just go and hang out nearby to see if anyone comes up with something interesting, and then try to 'appraise' the gun for the person and offer a cash price 'down the street.'
Old January 3, 2009, 11:47 PM   #17
ballardw

Try taking a video camera and getting pictures of the guns and sellers.
Especially of the guys turning away after they see the camera.

And ask who ever is conducting the buy back how many are going to be tested to see if they ballistics match any crimes.

It might be a good idea to try to educate the reporter that shows up that some of those 'guns' are cap guns, non-firing replicas, air-soft or other BB guns as well.