The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 26, 2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Crankgrinder

night sights?

would anyone know of any good aftermarket sights for full size beretta px4 9mm? fiber optic or otherwise?
Old September 26, 2011, 08:05 PM   #2
MLeake

X-S makes sights for the PX4, but the Big Dot and regular dot both have different sight pictures than you might be used to. They are very good for fast, close shooting, but can be tricky once you get outside 10-15 yards, as the front sight tends to have to sit on top of the target.

Trijicon and Meprolight make conventional, 3-Dot type night sights for the PX4.

You can probably find them on MidwayUSA, among other places.

Edit: Recently changed out some PX4 sights; it required a gunsmith and some cutting. The rear sight was staked, from the factory, and would not budge under a hammer. A dremel and cutting wheel were necessary.
Old September 26, 2011, 09:51 PM   #3
Jason_G

Quote:
would anyone know of any good aftermarket sights for full size beretta px4 9mm? fiber optic or otherwise?
Get some tritium sights if you plan on having the best low light shooting capability. Fiber optics, at least IME, are great in good lighting, but are as good as solid black sights in low light. Seems like it wouldn't be that way, but I think the FO rods are just too short to "collect" enough light to be useful if the lighting isn't already pretty good.

Quote:
Edit: Recently changed out some PX4 sights; it required a gunsmith and some cutting. The rear sight was staked, from the factory, and would not budge under a hammer. A dremel and cutting wheel were necessary.
Wow, I never realized that. I've shot the PX4 a few times, but don't own one, so I never knew the sights were staked on.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old September 26, 2011, 09:55 PM   #4
Crankgrinder

Id definately send it to the gunsmith to change out these. the dovetail looks rather small and i dont trust the tools i have to do it (a hammer and a wood dowel) without messing up the gun. wish there were also some two dot sights available as i actualy prefer two dot sights. as for firing the gun shoots like a dream to me although im not the most acurate shot at 25yards with cheap monarch brand steel case fmj but maybe my new handloads with 124 grn rn and power pistol might help alittle.
Old September 26, 2011, 11:35 PM   #5
MLeake

The X-S systems use 2-Dot, or front dot with rear tritium post. Again, the part that requires some adjustment is that the front dot has to be held relatively high, compared to other sight systems.

So far, out of my different night sights setups, I like the Heinie Straight 8 the best, but they don't make PX4 sights (yet).
Old September 27, 2011, 04:32 AM   #6
ftttu

night sights?

This is really here nor there but....I haven't purchased a weapon in several years but at that time, Trijicon was pretty much the head of the pack. I just ordered a Glock 23 4th gen and I told the lady I wanted night sights. She asked me if I wanted Glock or Trijicon and I asked her which is most favored. She instantly told me that the Trijicons were so I went with them. They were a little more but it is nothing in the long run.
Old September 27, 2011, 10:05 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

Trijicon; Brownells.com

I owned a NIB PX4 Storm 9x19mm in 2009. It was the C(constant) format with factory super-nova 3 dot sights.
I'd check www.brownells.com . They sold after market night sights for PX4 models.
I like the new HD 3 dot Trijicon night sights. The XS brand is good too.
I do not care for the fiber optic sets on carry-duty pistols. They look like they'd break or fail in a real lethal force incident.
Many pistol shooters like them but I'd buy steel or solid metal night sights for a PX4 Storm pistol.