The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 21, 2007, 10:53 AM   #1
V4Vendetta

A NV scope.

I was thinking about adding a NV scope to my SHTF gun. The trouble is that they are expensive. However I have found this model at Dick's sporting goods to be within my budget if I save my pennies for a month.

However when I looked at their website I could find no customer reviews for it. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...Id=20650439721

Does anyone here have any experience with it? Is it good quality or should I look at something else? I have never purchased any scopes before so if I ask any dumb questions, I apologize.

Within each one of us there is a inch of hope, of will, of integrity. We must never lose or give away that inch. For within it we are free.
Old April 21, 2007, 11:34 AM   #2
FirstFreedom

I dunno if that scope is any good, but 1st Gen will work fine out to short ranges - say 30 to 50 yards or so.

Just food for thought: Since Gen 1 is only good for short range anyway, you don't need or even want any magnification of your optic/scope. Thus, if you got instead, for about the same price or even less, a pair of 1st Gen NV goggles, then you could use them with any dot sight (ESD), any scope that dials down to low power (1 or 1.5), or even with a bow or crossbow's FO sights, *if I'm not mistaken*. So it would be much more versatile for your "night ops" - could be used with multiple weapons. And of course, your day scopes will also work fine in the daytime. AND, you could also use it just walking around searching/exploring, etc.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nightvision-bino.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/atnamvipmodh.html

At least, that's MY plan as of now. I mainly want it for shooting grackles out of the trees at night with my pellet gun, and so I plan to put an ordinary dot sight or 1-4x32 scope on the pellet gun after I get the NV goggles. Me and the grackles are like Bill Murray and the groundhog in Caddyshack.

Here's an NV forum:

http://www.nightvisionforums.com/
Old April 21, 2007, 11:42 AM   #3
V4Vendetta

So your sugggesting just getting some night vision goggles like those in your 2'd link & then using them with a regular scope?

Sounds good to me.

Within each one of us there is a inch of hope, of will, of integrity. We must never lose or give away that inch. For within it we are free.
Old April 21, 2007, 11:46 AM   #4
FirstFreedom

Yes, but I don't know how far UP the scale of power you can go, before they won't work (1.5, 1.75, 2, 3, what?) with a regular scope.

However, I cannot imagine that they WOULDN'T work with a 1.0-powered optic like a dot sight, since the light just flows right through the glass - all the sight does is give you a dot that allows you to aim on the target.

To be sure, however, one of us needs to register & ask in that NV forum. You got time?

That ATN Gen 1 goggle is half the price of the Bushnell since it's monocular rather than binocular. Still it should work fine when sighting through a riflescope or dot sight, since the latter is monocular anyway.
Old April 21, 2007, 11:48 AM   #5
fisherman66

The thermal infrared scopes look nifty as well. One day I might be able to afford one of the two. I will need better than gen I as it will be the coyotes' worse nightmare.

I'd like to see a side by side field test between the two (thermal ir and NV). I don't know if I could expect Outdoor Life to cover that article.
Old April 21, 2007, 12:12 PM   #6
V4Vendetta

What I meant earlier was would a NV goggle with with a plain scope. The kind with lines. I don't have a red dot.

Old April 21, 2007, 01:17 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

Well, I don't know for sure, but I think YES, espec. if it's a heavy reticle, because the IR illuminator combined with the gen 1 device will cause the IR light to reflect off the target back through the scope. So I think that you ought to be able to see a black heavy reticle against the lighter background of the target, just like in the daytime, although perhaps not quite as good as daytime; perhaps about like shooting in low light, where a heavy reticle is preferred over a target reticle. The goggles essentially turn night to day for all intents and purposes, and in the day the ordinary reticle on an ordinary scope works fine, so it should with the NV in the dark as well.