The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 8, 2001, 02:29 PM   #1
CBlackjr

The other day at the range a cop let me fire use his AR-15. Nice gun, not too accurate but alot of fun to shoot. Now here is the problem. I want one and I live in CA. I am 22 and was too young to buy one when they were legal. The cop was telling me that one of the AR manufactors makes an AR without the pistol grip. He said the firearm was made for the CA market.

I can't image how this would look or turn out but it sounds very innteresting. If anyone has a link or some info I would great appreciate it.
Old June 8, 2001, 02:40 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

CB
Do you know if it was .22 cal or .223 cal?

It sounds like it may be the Armalite AR-7 Custom

HJN
Old June 8, 2001, 02:55 PM   #3
CBlackjr

It is the .223 it supposed to be just like the AR-15 except it doesn't have a pistol grip.
Old June 8, 2001, 03:36 PM   #4
Kaylee

If I'm thinking of what you're thinking of...

saw one at a CA gunshow last year sometime.. it WAS an AR, only the pistol grip had been removed (easy chore) and a molded plastic-rubber palm-swell of some kind added. I didn't handle it, I'll admit, but it looked pretty ungainly. The palm swell forced your wrist off the center line of the weapon, and it looked difficult to control. Could be wrong on that one though. Like I said, I didn't bother to handle it.

Also, last I heard folks in CA were talkin about "anything mounted on an AR reciever is an AR" language for the last ban. Don't know if it passed, but I'd suspect so, honestly.

Personally, if I were in CA (and not intending to move) -- I'd prolly go for a Mini-14, fixed-mag SKS (still legal, I *think*), or (if I had the money) CA-legal M1A. Whatever your views on the standard M-16, past a certain amount of PC-kowtowing modification, I don't think a crippled AR is worth the bother. Rather like trying to weld a couple scrwedrivers into a servicable hammer -- it might work, but since you've already given up half the benefits of its original form, you might as well go for something that still works as designed.

Finally... somewhere on TFL, someone posted a Brit-designed (I think) -- pump-action version of the AR. Same ergonomics, you just pump the forearm to get it to cycle. If you're sold on the handling of an AR (which is great, I'll admit) -- might be something to look into. And you can have all the other "evil features" since you're not semi-auto.

enough rambling thoughts -- hope you find what you want!

-K

PS .. if you can find such a palm-swelled monster as I saw, I imagine it would be pretty easy to swap out said monstrosity for a standard pistol grip. You would, of course, be breaking the law, but I suppose that's up to you to decide. I've never seen officers patrolling a firing line saying "show me your papers" -- but in CA, it wouldn't surprise me.
Old June 8, 2001, 08:34 PM   #5
Tshoes

AR, that is a pump..........

The unit Used to be sold by, or through DPMS........
It was designed by Les Branson.......of the DFW area.....
Still available, don't know, try them first.