The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 8, 2013, 03:06 PM   #1
80viking

Ithica/Lefever Nitro Special 12GA

Just picked this up at a show over the weekend. The serial # dates it to 1923 and it is nice and tight. I got a deal on it because the fore end lug under the barrels needed to be soldered back on, also there are two small dents about 6" from the muzzle on the right barrel. I plan to use this SxS for some skeet (for fun) and if I like it it will get shot often.

My question is, will this gun stand up to a moderate amount of use, maybe 2-4 rounds of skeet per week?

Thanks
John

Last edited by 80viking; October 8, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old October 10, 2013, 02:14 PM   #2
TomADC

Whats it say for shell size? What chokes does it have?
How about a picture?
I have a AH Fox Sterlingworth dated 1913 in 12 ga I plan on shooting a little trap shooting with. it has 2 3/4 inch chambers, right now the butt stock is out to have a new recoil pad installed the old one was so old it was brittle.

Old October 10, 2013, 04:01 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

You need to verify, as mentioned above, the chamber length. If it is 2-1/2 or 2-9/16, you will need to get some ammo from the likes of RST or Polywad, then reload. One or both have components and data for older guns IF this is the case with yours.

One thing to remember - older guns like these tend to have a LOT of drop and subsequently can be cheek bruisers compared to what most folks are used to - doesn't make them bad, just means they might need a little tweak from the stockman to make it fit you better - they are cool guns to shoot.

For specific answers to specific questions, check out the Lefever Arms Collectors Association:

http://www.lefevercollectors.com/
Old October 11, 2013, 01:41 AM   #4
80viking

Thanks for the replies guys.

I shot 3 rounds of skeet with the SxS last night got a 16, 14, and a 15. This gun is a lot different for me, and a lot of fun to shoot. I was not aware of those odd shell lengths that this gun could be chambered in, kind of a moot point for me now, but I still have all of my digits so thats good. My reloads (17.2gr Red Dot, 1 1/18oz reclaimed shot) dropped right in, but I do realize the throat comes into play as well. The chokes have been opened up to about I/C. The gun seems to fit me well enough, it has a very generous length of pull.

Some of my misses from 1 high and 7 low seemed to miss to the left or right, whenever I miss these with my O/U it is always high or low. I guess I need to shoot some paper. The other thing that I need to get used to is finding that 2nd trigger. Anyway, I'm glad I found this SxS. I'll get some pictures up soon.

John
Old October 11, 2013, 09:18 AM   #5
BigD_in_FL

Dropped right in is trouble as the shell length is the FIRED length, so a 2-3/4" unfired shell will fit in a 2-1/2"chamber -however upon firing the crimp opens into the forcing cone raising pressures to unsafe levels, especially with 1-1/8. For shooting skeet, you really should try 7/8 or 3/4 oz in 12 - my 3/4oz reloads break 50 yard sporting targets,so they will (and have) easily break 21 yard skeet targets - save your shoulder, save some money, and take it easy on the old gun. 3/4oz reloads will get you 533 from a 25# bag of shot....nice way to stretch the shot money
Old October 11, 2013, 01:34 PM   #6
TomADC

BigD, thanks I should have mentioned how chamber length is defined. I just used a highly calibrated wood dowel to verify my chambers.
Old October 11, 2013, 04:35 PM   #7
BigD_in_FL

Excellent - glad to hear that - you'd be amazed how many don't know how to measure (including some gun"smiths" that work at larger big box sporting goods stores..........