The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 17, 2002, 11:37 AM   #1
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Handgun Prices On The World Wide Web?

Greeting's All,

Well, as you can probably tell from the heading I'm in a state
of shock. I just visited the Guns America website, and
I can't believe some of the prices these folk's are asking for
their firearms. As an example, posted on this site I found two
Smith & Wesson model 28's (Highway Patrolman) .357 magnum
revolver's in LNIB condition; the seller is asking a mere $625
a piece for these fine firearm's. One is a 4" barrel, and the
other is a 6" model. And those are not the only ones that
seem a bit over priced. Question is, why have these prices
gone thru the roof? Heck, for that kind'a money the hammer,
trigger, and ejector rod ought to be laced with 14K gold!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old July 17, 2002, 12:20 PM   #2
Hal

P.T was right
Old July 17, 2002, 06:51 PM   #3
PKAY

The seller wants to maximize his value/profit. If you like the piece, ask to see some digital photos via email. If you are still interested make an informed offer based on condition. I generally use Fjestad's Blue Book of Gun Values as a guide but there are others. Definitely invest in a pricing guide if you are serious about collecting. I remember a guy who listed his early Dan Wesson Pistol Pack with box and barrels on GA. He wanted $950! The pack was worth at the outside maybe $350 (Dan Wesson's are undervalued, IMHO, but the market is what it is). After doing considerable research on TFL and the Blue Book, I contacted the seller to discuss the matter. I was up front with him as to the current market values for Dan Wesson revos. Even though brand new production Pistol Packs go for over $1,000, early packs flat don't! He insisted on pricing his at what he thought was "below its value." Needless to say we parted company. That pack was still listed a year later for $950 with no takers.
Old July 17, 2002, 07:24 PM   #4
JBP

It's the old story of sellers trying to get as much as they can for their products and buyers wanting to spend as little as possible. Local prices were higher than what I could get on the Internet prior to 9/11 and ridiculous since. One gun shop here wanted $725 for a SRH .454 Casull & I paid $529 for it on auctionarms. Another shop wanted $575 for a SP2340 in .357 SIG that I got here on TFL for $400. As a result I haven't purchased anything but ammo & supplies locally in two years. If you know what you are looking for, do your research, and decide on the maximum amount you are willing to pay for it then you can do all right at the auction sites and gunsamerica.