The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 28, 2009, 06:27 AM   #1
poline

.480 Taurus

I think Taurus has stopped makeing the .480, also, wonder why? I don't recall anyone saying that they sticking problems with their Taurus .480
Old January 29, 2009, 02:39 AM   #2
Dave85

When a manufacturer stops making something, 99.9% of the time it is because it wasn't selling enough of them to make it profitable.
Old January 29, 2009, 08:45 AM   #3
pesta2

No one is buying the .480. I think it would have sold better if Ruger put it into a 5 shot single action. I see a dealer at the local gun show each time there for about 3 years now have the same 5” Taurus Raging Bull in .480, he can’t sell it.
Old January 29, 2009, 11:41 AM   #4
MPD223

Ruger also discontinued the production of their super redhawk .480. Just not enough sales.
Old January 29, 2009, 12:06 PM   #5
tulsamal

Quote:
Ruger also discontinued the production of their super redhawk .480. Just not enough sales.
Yeah, I can see why they didn't sell any.

Make them for a short period of time. Get good reviews in magazines. But only make them in "spurts" in between the .454 and .44 versions.

Then announce that there are "engineering issues" and the gun is being withdrawn. (Even though some of us had been waiting literally for months at that point for a .480 Alaskan.)

Wait a year for these changes. Convince yourself that a five shot actually sounds better in some ways.

Read good reviews of one from Jeff.

Finally see that Bud's says we can order them.

Run around and find money.

Call Bud's. They are already sold out and waiting for the next shipment.

Another couple of months go by with no five shot .480's to be had.

Then Ruger comes out and announces they are discontinuing the round due to "poor sales?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

It frigging makes me crazy!! How were we ever supposed to be able to buy them in the first place?! And that's coming from a guy who looks at the internet for these things. How many do you suppose were ever in gun stores for Joe Blow to look at at?

I better stop talking about it because I'm getting mad all over again! And no, I won't buy your used one for $900 because they are discontinued and a collector's item!

Gregg
Old January 29, 2009, 12:10 PM   #6
tulsamal

Back to the Taurus question, I saw one on gunbroker that was a 5" model. The longer barreled Raging Bulls just don't do anything at all for me. But I thought the shorter model seemed rather nice. I looked at it about a dozen times but ultimately I just couldn't quite get myself to bid on a Taurus!

Despite the fact that this one gun had an answer for worries about Taurus quality: it was already a factory return! So it would seem like this one had actually been "gone over" by a real person and been tweaked a bit. Likely it would have been all right. But still....

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=120888749

Gregg
Old January 29, 2009, 12:28 PM   #7
MPD223

Gregg I feel your pain, but trust me I dont want to sell mine, I like it to much. I just hope Hornady keeps making ammo for it. Also I would not pay the inflated prices that are out there right now.
Old January 29, 2009, 01:35 PM   #8
tulsamal

Quote:
I just hope Hornady keeps making ammo for it.
If I owned one, I would buy 200-500 pieces of new brass and never look back. I don't ever shoot factory ammo in large revolvers. Too expensive. I prefer to save money and gain flexibility.

Gregg
Old January 29, 2009, 01:57 PM   #9
CraigC

IMHO, the .480 has suffered from very poor marketing on Ruger's part. It's a wonderfully versatile cartridge with a lot to offer but they let S&W steal their thunder with the X-frames. I'm hoping they pull their heads from their posteriors and offer it in a 5-shot Bisley and fast!!!
Old January 29, 2009, 10:51 PM   #10
srixon68

I just ordered a SRH in .480 earlier this week. I will be here tomorrow. I believe my dealer ordered it from Davidson's. Paying $650.
Old January 30, 2009, 09:07 PM   #11
Singlesix1954

I have a Rageing Bull .480

I have taken 5 whitetail with my Taurus .480 Ruger. I love it. The 500 S&W is much more unpleasnt to shoot, the .454 is painfull enough to develop a flinch in a 300lb Marine,the 475 Lighnba (or however you spell it) is a wildcat among mag handguns, and the word I get on the .460 S&W is you need your name engraved on the barrel so you can tell the folks @ the ER who you are before they remove the front sight from your forhead.
Go ahead and buy what you want. If you are looking at the .480 Ruger I say good choice. I hope to take a black bear with it in spring 2011. This cal. is not like shooting a 44-40 with cowboy action loads. However it doesn't hert me so I shoot it well. Infact my Taurus has less felt recoil than my 629 S&W 44 mag. Note it also is heaver and bulky. I'v been worried about the cal. dieing myself but I have noticed that a few more ammo companys are starting to make it. Any way just go buy a gun...oh hell thier small buy 2.
Old January 30, 2009, 09:30 PM   #12
goodspeed(TPF)

Quote:
I better stop talking about it because I'm getting mad all over again! And no, I won't buy your used one for $900 because they are discontinued and a collector's item!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! You tell 'em!!

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old January 31, 2009, 02:49 AM   #13
Ben

I've shot a Roger .454 and to say it was unpleasant would be an understatement. What can a .480 take down that a .454 can't? Does the 480 relay less felt recoil? My comfort level was stopped at anything passed .44mag.

Ben
Old January 31, 2009, 11:19 PM   #14
Singlesix1954

The .454 has a longer case and hold more powder than the .480, this translates to more pressure and speed of bullet. The .480 has more bullet mass and more momentum. It is a lot like hitting a brick with a 6lb hammer(.454) as fast as you can swing it or a 10lb hammer (.480) at a more relaxed swing. The end result is still a crushed brick. Or to put it in a simple way."There is only one kind of dead."