The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 1, 2009, 07:09 PM   #1
dreamweaver

extreme shock?

I picked up a box of extreme shock .380 just out of curiosity. on the box it says "transfers 100% of its energy to the target through massive fragmentation. this violent fragmentation causes shock trauma, shutting down the central nervous system, resulting in instant stopping power."
sounds like a buch of poop to me.
anyone know about this ammo? anybody using frags for SD carry?
Old October 1, 2009, 07:15 PM   #2
kayakersteve

You got it

Quote:
sounds like a buch of poop to me
That about summarizes it.
Old October 1, 2009, 08:25 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Ther spirit of PT Barnum is alive and well, and living in the add copy for that ammo!
Old October 1, 2009, 08:56 PM   #4
troy_mclure

check out the box-o-truth on extreeme shock.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old October 1, 2009, 09:03 PM   #5
SPUSCG

I heard it can blow the head off a rhino at 50 yards.
Old October 1, 2009, 09:23 PM   #6
Mello2u

It will shoot the moon from the sky.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old October 2, 2009, 12:26 AM   #7
spamanon

Enough said.
Old October 2, 2009, 12:54 AM   #8
Venom1956

dude seriously its THE premier round for anti terrorist operations inside airplanes! cause that happens everyday...
Old October 2, 2009, 01:30 AM   #9
DT Guy

If it came with a black baklava in the box, I'd buy some in a minute-

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old October 2, 2009, 02:10 AM   #10
Bill DeShivs

Baklava- the Greek pastry?
Old October 2, 2009, 02:24 AM   #11
gyvel

Not that I'm any great believer in advertising, especially when it comes to guns and gun related items, but...

Has anyone actually had any experience with this round, or done any research on its effectivity?
Old October 2, 2009, 02:27 AM   #12
troy_mclure

see my post on box o truth.

google it, im too lazy to post a link.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old October 2, 2009, 05:16 AM   #13
Double Naught Spy

Me too. Short of a personal guided tour, I'm too lazy to go look up your opinions on high priced garbage.

I think all ammo should be sold with pastries. If it came with baklava, then it was probably meant for the Greek market. If it came with donunts...
Old October 2, 2009, 05:30 AM   #14
PBjafa

HAHA

Thanks guys, this is the funniest thread i have read in a while,
haha.
(particularly liked the qreek pastry bit)
Old October 2, 2009, 07:30 AM   #15
warman

I saw it at the gun shop. The gun guy said he carried it in his nightstand piece .357 so it wouldn't go through his walls.

He said that he shot it at 2x4 wood and it disintegrated and didn't penetrate, but when he shot it at a watermelon, it went through with a massive hole out the back.

I have never used it but I'm just saying that's what he told me.

Because he works at a gun shop doesn't that make him an authority?

(Ahhh, probably was a load of crap....):barf:
Old October 2, 2009, 07:38 AM   #16
ChiefMuzz

Quote:
He said that he shot it at 2x4 wood and it disintegrated and didn't penetrate, but when he shot it at a watermelon, it went through with a massive hole out the back.
So....all the BG has to do is wear a wood suit and he should be well protected from the massive central nervous system damage caused by extreme shock.
Old October 2, 2009, 07:46 AM   #17
wally626

Box link

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23.htm

The rounds mostly had low penetration in water jugs but one plugged in dry wall and made it thru several walls but still less than traditional JHP

Last edited by wally626; October 2, 2009 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Chnged last bullet type
Old October 2, 2009, 10:35 AM   #18
Boarhunter

dreamweaver,

I have used it, and the ammo performed very well for me. I did not buy it based upon "ninja" advertising, but upon the recommendation of a buddy who himself had used it to his great satisfaction.

Some years back, I shot a 250-pound Russian Boar just behind the shoulder at approximately 20 yards with a 9mm fired from a Ruger SR9. The hog ran approximately 5 or 10 yards, as I recall, and fell over seriously dead. I first thought the hog had suffered a heart attack, because I could not find any entry hole. After hunting for it a good while, I found the hit, and the entry wound almost resembled what you would expect from an "ice pick" puncture.

When the hog was field dressed, it was apparent that the bullet had performed admirably. The hog's "innerds" were a complete mess. No exit wound. And I never found the bullet.

So, I have no comment on the marketing plan of the company, nor do I speak to the experience of others, but from my personal experience of the ammo, it worked well.

Boarhunter
Old October 2, 2009, 10:47 AM   #19
koolminx

I like the test those boy's did in Wally's post. It was seriously putting pressure on those rounds, and they didn't really do what they said they did...
Old October 2, 2009, 11:54 AM   #20
Delaware_Dan

Coudn't help myself.
Old October 2, 2009, 12:10 PM   #21
Mikeyboy

I agree with Boarhunter, the marketing is downright horrible, but if you look at the box of truth test their Air Freedom rounds performed better than Glaser Safety Slugs.

My HD handgun usually has a frangable round in the pipe with the rest of the ammo being premium JHP. My theory is that first round has a high possibility of being a flyer, due to high stress, and a BG suddenly jumping into my field of view, at 3am when a minute ago I was dead asleep.

Even though I think the BOT test proves that the Air Freedom round penetrates walls less but still penetrates softer bodies filled with fluid just a wee bit more than Glaser, I still use Glaser. I don't want that ammo that is marketed for Mall Ninjas, being used to shoot a bad guy in my house, then having his attorney hold up the box to the jury when he is suing me. Glaser Safety Slugs just looks and sounds better then Extreme Shock with a the picture of the Ninja triplets (notice its all the same guy) on the box.

Probably the worst marketing blunder ever. Not a lot of people takes that ammo seriously.

Last edited by Mikeyboy; October 2, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old October 2, 2009, 12:36 PM   #22
GeauxTide

Let's see....380....Extreme Shock.........NAAAAHH! You only paid an extreme price.
Old October 2, 2009, 12:52 PM   #23
CGSteve8718

As superficial as it may be, I never tried, nor ever want to try it soley based on the description and the marketing. I just can't take a product seriously that believes itself to be serious with that kind of flair.

Cheaper than Dirt is advertising another brand of ammo that appears to be in the same vein as ES. It is called DRT, for Dead Right There. The packaging features female fantasy "agents" holding pistols Charlie Angels style.
Old October 2, 2009, 01:14 PM   #24
Jart

If I'm going to buy extraordinarily high-priced ammo accompanied by credibility straining claims, I'll opt for the box with the picture of the Mandrell sisters over Tesla Ninjas any old day.

Besides, anyone that didn't sleep through "Introduction to Physics" would read this
Quote:
...turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.
and blow their beverage out their nose.

Though I guess the possibility of the ad copy itself causing neurological collapse to anyone attempting to understand it can not be totally dismissed.

That darned density mass - turn your back for one second and it turns into a rotational cone. So that's how they curved the bullets in Wanted?

NyTrillium? Wazzat? Didn't they mine that stuff on Battlestar Gallactica? No, that was Tylium. Oh well, it's probably in here somewhere.
Old October 2, 2009, 01:49 PM   #25
PMI

extreme shock ?

maybe u have ta do a spinal cord shot with that ammo while the perp is standing infront of a mirror so he or she can see the entry wound for all that stuff to happen lmao