The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 12, 2009, 07:15 PM   #1
w_houle

The king of cheap

I know I have annoyed you on some of the purchases that I have made, and confounded some as to why I have shot them to the extent that I have, but I just wanted to give a voice to those arms that haven't deemed worthy to shoot and have received a bad rap (earned or not) I know I make only 12.75 an hour and if I had saved my money could have bought one decent gun and enough ammunition to become proficient in it's accuracy. Funny part is if I said at forty feet that I shot a foot low with my Lorcin that I would be told that it's junk doesn't phase anyone but that my Steyr M40A1 shoots at an identical pattern would receive silence, especially since my favorite shooter (and have burned through three slides and turned matte nickel to shiny nickel on the grip is enough to tell me that it's something else.
I'm sorry I'm not PlayboyPenguin. I wish I was cool and sophisticated like he is, but there can be only one, and all I can do at best is to be the opposite of him So I do what I do. One of these days I will make a better wage, and test better guns, but for right now I will take aim at a target and pray that I hit, and tell you all how many times I get to Pull the trigger without failure and what failures come. Who knows, one of these days I might be able to buy a custom 1911 a payday, until then, I will buy whatever my budget will allow. Hope you read on...
Old September 12, 2009, 07:35 PM   #2
DasFriek

They need a "Put down jar" kinda like a swear jar and make people who put down a gun for no reason put .01 penny in a paypal account.And at Christmas the person in charge takes that money and buy High Points as presents for single mothers who need HD,with a couple saftey devices of course.
But serously,Lorcin is bad...Mkay?
Old September 12, 2009, 07:39 PM   #3
Chesster

A am frugal but can afford to carry whatever I want. I still feel comfortable with a PA63 on ocassion.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old September 12, 2009, 07:42 PM   #4
w_houle

PA63 looks like a gun I will acquire some time next year as I work through the lesser guns this year. Actually, I can't wait to try hat one out and might buy it sooner.
Old September 12, 2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Jim March

I'm on a tighter budget than maybe 99% of the folks on this board.

I'm down to two guns: one in 357 I carry daily and lovingly tweak, and can shoot the snot out of, and a .22LR size/heft/action equivelent for practice. Both fit the same holsters that I've either made or modified.

The main carry gun is at least respectable in overall quality and damn near tops in reliability: Ruger New Vaquero 357. It was worth about $500 new.

No regrets. I'd take that over any dozen lesser critters, even if the total value was higher the other way. I don't buy guns as investments.
Old September 12, 2009, 09:52 PM   #6
Daryl

I'm on par with Jim, but I've been adding to my collection of firearms for perhaps more years? I don't sell them, and buy them when I can afford them.

I have more than enough firearms to do what I want with guns, and they're all good quality firearms. I load my own ammo, and I live a pretty frugal life, but I don't generally scimp on quality when it comes to quality on firearms.

That said, to each their own. If it makes another person happy, then whether I like it or not is irrelevant. Live your own life the way you want, 'cause that's what I do.

Daryl
Old September 12, 2009, 10:32 PM   #7
Win73

Some people call me cheap. I like to think of myself as reasonable. I don't buy guns as investments. I don't buy them as art or collectibles. I consider them as tools. I hunt with them and plink with them. Some I use for self defense. I buy a gun based on whether it will do what I want it to do adequately, safely, and reliably. If a cheap gun will do that I see no reason to pay more for some other gun that will do the same thing.

For example, I bought a NEF .357 magnum Handi Rifle as a knock about gun. I don't remember the exact price but it was in the $160 to $180 range. Before deer season last year I sent it in to have a .50 caliber muzzleloader barrel fitted to it. That cost me about $80. One day I was in my favorite pawn shop/gun store. He had a bunch of fixed 4 power scopes with the name Rocky Mountain Optics on them. He had them on sale for $15. I thought that if you could see through them at all they were worth that. I checked them out and bought one. I figured I woud stick it on one of my .22's. I ended up putting it on my muzzleloader. So I have a .357 magnum rifle and a .50 caliber muzzleloader with scope for less than $300. I will most likely put a better scope on it one of these days but I am in no hurry. Opening day of muzzleloader season last year I used it to kill a fair sized buck. I put the crosshairs on the deer's right shoulder. I pulled the trigger and when the smoke cleared I saw the deer lying where he had been standing. He died in his tracks. The bullet went in his right shoulder and pushed out the skin on his left.

I do have several guns that I consider expensive guns. I have 8 Rugers and 3 Smith & Wessons. I also have a Remington 1100 shotgun. But I don't feel like I have to pamper or baby any of my guns. I don't worry about a scratch now and then or a worn finish. That tells me they are doing their job. And that's why I buy them.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old September 12, 2009, 10:36 PM   #8
Mikeyboy

I make good money, but honestly I don't know how some people do it. it took me years to save up to get an AR15...YEARS.

Anyway, 4 or 5 years ago shooting was enjoyable for me, now I just enjoy shooting .22lr. Going thru multiple boxes of centerfire ammo in one range session is something I don't enjoy doing anymore, now it gives me an ulcer.

My advice is you need a quality self defense gun and a quality .22 to train with. I'll be honest with you, that Lorcin will crap out on you when you least expect it. So should you buy and HK or a Les Baers 1911 with a $12 an hour salary???

Heck no but there are some quality guns in the $300 to $400 range. Ruger P-series, S&W Sigma, and Taurus PT92 are all rock solid. Also there are quality used guns that probably cost as much as that Lorcin.

Also for a .22 trainer, get the Ruger 22/45, blued with a 4" or a 4 1/2 bull barrel. The gun will cost you $250 to $300 but it will last a lifetime and you can shoot it all day for cheap and save money at the range.
Old September 12, 2009, 11:07 PM   #9
wvshooter

My vote for inexpensive quality handgun goes to Sigma. You may as well say it's a glock made by smith. I've got two, a 40 and a 9, and they are both good for carry. Light weight, high capacity and uber reliable.
Old September 12, 2009, 11:15 PM   #10
Uncle Buck

I have lots of 'USELESS' or 'POOR' quality guns that I enjoy shooting. You know what, I bought with MY money. I buy the cartridges or reload them myself.

I own a few expensive guns that cost me close to $1,000.00 each. I own many more $100.00 - $300.00 guns. I enjoy shooting them and cleaning them.

To each their own and to heck with what anyone thinks about your gun. But remember, always talk nice about someone else's... well, unless it is really hideous and cheap.
Old September 12, 2009, 11:16 PM   #11
hoytinak

Quote:
... well, unless it is really hideous and cheap
Like a Hi-Point.
Old September 13, 2009, 12:01 AM   #12
bluetopper

Heck, anymore you can shoot 38Spl, and 9mm cast reloads for the price you can buy good .22 ammo and I find them much more enjoyable.
Old September 13, 2009, 01:09 AM   #13
raftman

I'm pretty frugal myself. The way I see it, if I want to spend more on something, it will have to do something I'd want it do that a cheaper alternative cannot. You definitely don't need to spend a lot to get a decent gun, but I still would be pretty apprehensive about the Lorcin, Jimenez, Bryco, etc type guns. The thing is, if these guns were actually good, those that have shot them, will mostly be satisfied with them, and the detractors would be mostly those that haven't ever fired them. However, from what I've observed a slim minority of those who've owned these guns have positive things to say and would recommend them to others. I figure, it's good to learn from one's own mistakes, but better to learn from others' mistakes.
Old September 13, 2009, 01:40 AM   #14
ECHOONE

Don't even let them bother you,thats just what people like that want! so they have money to throw around on there expensive guns Big whoop! Bet your a happier person and have better mental health with alot more real friends!
Old September 13, 2009, 05:18 AM   #15
Sixer

I'm all for people buying what they want to buy ... but I work hard for my money (just like everyone else) So if I'm going to spend my hard earned dollar on a handgun, then I want it to last. When I say last, I mean I want a gun that's going to outlast me. I want my moneys worth and to me a lorcin, bryco, jimenez, or even hi-point doesn't fit the bill. I'm still pretty tight with my money, so a $1500+ custom gun is not on my wish list.

To anyone that feels like they need a safe (or box) full of cheap guns, I say go for it. You're not taking anything I want off the shelves. I would rather be patient and save up an extra $150 for a used Glock or decent revolver. But hey, that's just me.

It's just like collecting coins. I could buy a few rolls of "junk" silver and have a lot of coins... Or I could spend that money on a few nice Morgan dollars. In the long run I'll be thanking myself for buying the Morgans.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old September 13, 2009, 06:28 AM   #16
budroe

If you're happy with the guns you have, why worry about what anyone else thinks. The word is a well trained guy with a cheap gun can do a lot more damage than a untrained guy with a great gun. If you train with what you have and feel competent with it, what more are you looking to accomplish. Many people here have gone through times when they were making less than you are now. Contrary to what you may think, everyone doesn't limit their shooting to custom guns. Quit worrying and keep enjoying your shooting times!!!
Old September 13, 2009, 06:54 AM   #17
Tom2

My pay cut has resulted in an end to going to all the shows, and an almost constant series of trades and purchases of used guns. I do not have to sell the good "keepers" but occasionally will buy something that is a bargain, or sell off something totally useless or perhaps something unused that has gone well up in value over time. Still do not get to shoot alot of them, anyway. And been shooting less due to ammo costs. Amazed how many are whining about how much this months pallet load of fresh ammo is costing them! Yea.
Old September 13, 2009, 07:26 AM   #18
shortwave

Quote:
I know I annoy you on some of the purchases I have made...
w_houle, is this thread in regards to another I missed?If so,it may be possible that your feelings towards some here on TFL(warranted or not ) may be getting the best of you. Why would you care what I or anyone else thinks of what you shoot,drive,live in, own in general or how much you make an hour. Non of my business! Now if you`ve asked opinions on these various guns on previous threads and have gotten responses you didn`t like then I have to ask you if you expected anything different? Take a minute and search some threads on some high-end guns and you`ll find someone posting that they just don`t care for THAT particular gun. Bottom line is: If you`re happy with what you shoot, who care`s about the rest. I`ve had a few undesireable problems with a certain well known, somewhat higher end gun company(guns and service dept.). There are many people here that love this gun brand. Does that make this gun brand bad . Nope! That means I won`t buy anymore of them and when asked I give my opinion/experience`s. After all that`s said, I will state that, for more then recreational shooting and if your life depends on your weapon, you better have a gun built with enough quality parts to be sure it will go bang when needed. FWIW: your $12.75/hr job is more than alot of what people that are laid off have these day.
Old September 13, 2009, 08:03 AM   #19
neon

The band that binds us all together is our love for firearms.
Old September 13, 2009, 09:09 AM   #20
m&p45acp10+1

I have my fair share of low cost firearms. Most were gunshow buys at below bargain basement prices. I also have a Heratige Rough Rider .22 lr. It is a cheap single action knock off of the Ruger single six. It shoots very well, is made from steel, not crappy pot metal. It cost less than half of what a used single six does. It shoots just as well, if not better than my single six that my grampa left me. I invite anyone that thinks it will wear out to bring as much .22 lr as they can get and come to the range with me. I will let you try.
You can buy cheap and still get quality. You just have to shop around.
Old September 13, 2009, 10:03 AM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

"The band that binds us all together is our love for firearms."

And the wedge that separates us is 9mm v .45 ACP.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 13, 2009, 11:14 AM   #22
kirkcdl

Why even ask what others think of YOUR guns?

That'd be like me asking all the Harley riders at a Poker Run what they think of my Goldwing or my V65 Sabre.I'm the one riding what I want,as are they,and both my bikes together cost less than half of a Harley...

That translates directly to more beer money...

Plus,I can feel my butt at the end of the day,too...
Old September 13, 2009, 12:34 PM   #23
greyson97

depends. if 2 of your crappy guns cost the same as 1 fine firearm, id rather save and pass on the 2 crapsters, and get the nice one

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old September 13, 2009, 12:49 PM   #24
shortwave

Hey kirk, I almost went there with the motorcycle comparison but didn`t. Glad you did! Got my share of hrs. in the seats of both foreign and American made scoots. Makes me laugh when I hear a Harley rider blasting Jap. riders to the point where the Harley rider won`t even ride with someone on a Jap. bike. Usually after having a conversation with the 'all knowing' Harley rider you`ll find out he`s never rode a Jap bike . If same rider would bother to look at all that pretty add-on chrome he`s put on his 'made in Amer.' Harley he`d notice it`s usually made in Tiawan or Japan. Not to mention his engine bearings(along with other internal eng./trans. parts) are made in Japan. Found the same attitude with some 'gun experts'.
Old September 13, 2009, 01:20 PM   #25
verdun59

kirkcdl,
Plus you've got a much better chance of getting
home at the end of the day..